• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker and Waverley probably have 11 open teams between them.Joeys have 12 this year. It makes sense except that the except the organisers are not looking at all grades playing. I have no idea who Barker 2nds are playing or where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barker 2s are playing grammar at weigall 1 hour before firsts. However barker are taking an extended squad to joeys with i think 5 bench players.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Does this mean Waves 2nds play Joeys 3rds (and so on)? That probably makes sense given Joeys depth and hence presumably greater strength in teams below 1sts.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Really hope they get a good referee for joeys v Waverley

As at home joeys crowd are going to be vocal, and this crop of joeys coaches are big whiners. if they players get hit it's foul play, same thing happens and joeys are delivering it, all is fine and dandy

While I rate joeys forwards as better than Waverley's, there are some hard hitting forwards in the Waverley pack

So it's going to be bruising

And outside of Dowling and Reilly, I think joeys backs are weak by joeys stellar historical standards

So if Waverley is to win , it will be by avoiding silly yellow cards, getting enough quality ball and carving up the joeys backs

If joeys were like the joeys of old they would be watering the pitch as we speak

And nullify Waverleys potent backs

Anyway should be interesting day ../ not sure of scheduling but would be good to view 13As, 14As and 1sts

SDW,

Often forgotten, but I think the coaches will play a significant role here,especially given the strengths of the opposition.
Particularly in who plays were and when, no more to be given away!

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
If so,

Not sure why Barker would agree to this, imo, a 1stXV should never play 2nd fiddle to another game, unless it's a test match but playing in the under card before a team you will play in the CAS comp isn't right IMO.

Some might say it's a shrewd play to see what you will be up against, but when you see what you are up against, that may well back fire.

Any thoughts guys?

It is an opportunity for the Barker coaches to watch and see the weaknesses in the Waves team. I have watched the Waves cohort in this age group for some years now and although the team is brimming with talent it exhibits behaviour patterns which result in penalties. These patterns may have been trained out but they were common things like coming off the feet when entering the ruck, pulling down opposition players in the line out, tackling players in the air, general biffing and being off side. Waves players are just excitable boys. The players may well be beyond all of that now. But two years ago in the 16a's in round 2 Barker had the measure of both Knox (yes even with the big feller) and Waves and beat both of them. Barker is like a bacterium - high group intelligence which which watches, adapts, improvises and grows. So every penalty in the Joeys game is likely to be studied to determine weaknesses. And if Barker have any sense there may well be some whispered sledging about the sexual tendencies of the Waves players or their Mamas to trigger a reaction and yellow or red card. But you can take it that the penalties are likely to be taken apart to see who does what. And then an analysis on how to exploit that when the teams eventually compete. Of course that cuts both ways and at this time Barker has some glaring weaknesses which I have no intention of mentioning here but no doubt Waves will work these out pretty quickly. If an old dummy like me can figure it out the Waves coaches will. But the Barker team is not the same team it was two games ago. It is rapidly addressing its problems and improvising. I am not predicting any Barker victory in the competition, I think that will be a tall order, but it will be more competitive than it was last year I believe unless injuries take their toll.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's good for CAS to have both schools competing against Joeys this week. Barker will be strong and so will Waverley, but a victory for both would be an underdog story for both teams.

Exciting times ahead.

Nice bait there hasbeen. Good luck on Saturday bud.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If so,

Not sure why Barker would agree to this, imo, a 1stXV should never play 2nd fiddle to another game, unless it's a test match but playing in the under card before a team you will play in the CAS comp isn't right IMO.

Some might say it's a shrewd play to see what you will be up against, but when you see what you are up against, that may well back fire.

Any thoughts guys?

I suspect its to accommodate Barker 2s v Grammar 1s

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
It's good for CAS to have both schools competing against Joeys this week. Barker will be strong and so will Waverley, but a victory for both would be an underdog story for both teams.

Exciting times ahead.

Nice bait there hasbeen. Good luck on Saturday bud.

Gees how did ya know. And thank you

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
After a few trials it's fun to start hypothesising about CAS selections that may be possible. This year will be the hardest for the selectors to get it right. Especially with the tiered competition. A possible team is listed below with gaps- who are the genuine 13's? - this is not a definite and will probably not be right, just hypothesising.

1sts
1. Wright (W)
2. Frear (K)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Moretti (W)
5. Frost (K)
6. Cornish (W)
7. Stead (T)
8. Reimer (B)
9. Bell (W)
10. Donaldson (W)
11. Hollingsworth-Dessent (T)
12. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

2nds
1. McCormick (W)
2. Johnston (W)
3. Dawson (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Whiteman (W)
6. Ellis (W)
7. Stenning (K)
8. Partington (A)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Woodcock (K)
11. Wallace (W)
12. Myers (K)
15. Ilias (T)

CAS_RumourMill

Bob McCowan (2)
After a few trials it's fun to start hypothesising about CAS selections that may be possible. This year will be the hardest for the selectors to get it right. Especially with the tiered competition. A possible team is listed below with gaps- who are the genuine 13's? - this is not a definite and will probably not be right, just hypothesising.

1sts
1. Wright (W)
2. Frear (K)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Moretti (W)
5. Frost (K)
6. Cornish (W)
7. Stead (T) has he recovered from his illness?
8. Reimer (B)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Woodcock (K)
11. Hollingsworth-Dessent (T)
12. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

2nds
1. McCormick (W)
2. Johnston (W)
3. Dawson (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Whiteman (W)
6. Ellis (W)
7. Stenning (K)
8. Partington (A)
9. Bell (W)
10. Donaldson (W)
11. Wallace (W)
12. Myers (K)
15. Ilias (T)

Actually this is a fairly good start off the performances that have been put out... However a couple of changes and additions. Given that Knox have played two very tough oppositions their performances have been given more weighting so criticisms of bias will only be laughed at here...

1. It is very tough to leave Brady Dawson (K) out of CAS1. In fact, a Knox front row would not be out of the question given their dominance against Riverview and Kings over the last two weeks.

2. My feeling is that Billy Collins (K) should at least make CAS2. The physicality he shows around the park is also complimented by some very decent ball skills.

3. Dave Tejeck (B) is very unlucky not to get a start here. Seasoned campaigner should be more strongly considered.

4. Whilst not being exceptional this campaign so far, Tom Brown (K) has to be in for a fight for the CAS2 wing position. He is extremely fast and has the most under-rated defensive work rate in the CAS particularly on the cover.

On another subject, whilst it is true that the tiered 'trials' don't help selectors, they DO help schools prepare for their own shields. The game that decides the CAS is undoubtably Knox vs Waverley at Queens Park and given there is no reverse fixture, it makes it all the more critical that both schools leave nothing out there, especially after last year. It seems Waverley have their support structures better set out with 'compulsory attendance' to fixtures of high importance. Whilst it played a factor last year, over the first two games it looks like Knox will blitz the CAS 5-0. Knox will struggle against Scots next week who won't fall for the same trick as Kings did last week. This week a prediction I never thought I'd make... Knox will surprise Newington with a win and blow the NSW competition right open.

Skeptic to believer... I guess it can happen.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don't think it's a two horse race. Barker are very strong this year and will make the games very difficult prospect for Knox and Waverley.

Plus trinity is well coached and has speed to burn. Underestimate your opposition at your own peril.

B

Backline_Move

It's also hilarious that Barker is playing a seconds Team. Shows how weak they are that they are likely to get pumped.

Waverley will get pumped as well. Knox will have a tough day but Frost will bring us over the top again.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
:p TheCow, Thanks for info on ref. James Leckie ... absolutely perfect. Quality.

Personally I think it is great that Joeys 2nds will play Barker 1sts. At least from a selfish perspective.

also note that it will be possible to see 13As ... albeit on one of Joeys smaller grounds ... for such a great rugby school, it is just the main oval that is so amazing. Shame 13As aren't on the main oval or at least a full sized pitch.

In any event setting up nicely for a great day of running rugby at HH. Barker does not want to be underestimated in 2017 and so I think that should be a good wrestle.

I spoke to a mate from $cots and he was full of praise for Joeys ... on their 31 v 28 win. He said Joeys fully deserved their win, and he said Reilly was relatively quiet and the other Joeys back were particularly courageous in containing Yassmin and Billy Smith.

He did however say that by the end of the game, the Joeys backs looked completely busted, and he reckons Smith and Yassmin were gaining ascendency.

He also said $scots were without Savala and someone else ... forget the name?

In any event, sounds like Joeys physio will be busy this week, and Joeys backs will be in for another test ... albeit none of Waverley backs are quite as physically intimidating as Smith and Yassmin :mad:

S

sidelineview

If so,

Any thoughts guys?

I think its a good idea and great value for the spectators who will be treated to 2 quality games (hopefully)

No one would seriously pitch Aloys 1st XV against Scots 1sts but Aloys 1sts vs Scots 2nds? It could be a good contest.

These Double Headers should be very interesting.
Its also a good way of testing the waters of a possible 'divisional comp'.

The organisers are at least showing their hand of what could happen in the future.

It should be a very good day at HH.

djdj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Guys. We are dealing with school kids here and Green and Gold has strict forum guidelines. Personal criticisms of players is not acceptable. If you cannot keep things positive from a personal perspective best not say anything at all if you value your access to this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% agree

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Cyclo, it's great that the offending post got zapped but it lives on in the various replies. For the sake of the player and his family it would be good if it could be removed altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.