• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

From the Australian Schools Rugby website

FIRST NATIONAL SCHOOLS RUGBY FORUM–DETAILS

by ASRU on June 13, 2017 in News
Australian National Schools Rugby Forum–8th and 9th December 2017 –Sydney
This is the first national, open Schools Rugby Forum to be held in Australia.
It is occurring in the context of the ongoing development and implementation of the National Schools Rugby Strategic Plan (NSS)
It will be open to all those from schools interested in rugby, those holding rugby related or coordinating positions—as well as to key people from the ARU and other senior rugby bodies.
It will have three main strands—educative, informative ,participative.
It will be a unique and valuable opportunity to influence rugby in schools—its maintenance, development ,safety, resourcing and potential new areas.
It will take place in the educational context that is a school –looking at changes in schools that are influencing the way sport is occurring there.
Key Considerations
–that there be a wide range of participants from all school sectors—State, Catholic, Private.
–that the Forum be as widely advertised as possible, including on social media
–that all participants become fully involved in the preparation for, and discussions during, the forum
–that schools rugby is celebrated for what it does for the education, involvement and ongoing participation of young people in rugby
–the assistance of all in schools who are Convenors, Sports Directors–and those who have attended the Consultations in 2016 and this year– is needed to ensure the Forum has the widest possible attendance and that it achieves its aims.
Concrete Aims
–that the National Schools Strategic Plan undergo further clear development as a result of the Forum
–that schools and senior rugby bodies develop significant understandings of the roles of each in rugby
–that participants learn significant new things about rugby—its safety and its playing
–that the schools voice in determining their needs for rugby in schools is clearly articulated and heard by senior rugby bodies
–the senior rugby bodies come to an appreciation of the immense resource that is the schools in rugby in Australia
–that the views of schools as to how best to develop rugby in schools are stated and heard.
–that appropriate methods of ongoing consultation are developed and agreed to by all parties.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My recollection is that in 1980 Barker, Waverley and Trinity each won four and lost one. From Trinity, centre Craig Hassall and hooker Mark McCullough made NSW as did full back Gary Brooker who was picked but didn't (I think) get on the field due to injury. David Loxton only made CAS 3rds but went on to play NSW under 21s and a lot of First Grade.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Hi all

So the nationals kick off tomorrow and I am looking for writers and photographers to contribute to the GAGR match reports.

We are all good for tomorrow for writers, but there are quite a few gaps in my schedule for Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

What I am asking for is 200 words on each match. That's stuff all.

The idea is that we cover the general 'vibe' of the game, key highlights, who played well and the final score.

If you would like to write (or have some photos you'd like included in the blog) please send me a private convo.

Regards

Rich

Iamaprop

Frank Row (1)
Lloyd and woodcock pushing ahead of the pack for NSW, in my eyes they have been standouts, assisted by a very strong forward pack

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My recollection is that in 1980 Barker, Waverley and Trinity each won four and lost one. From Trinity, centre Craig Hassall and hooker Mark McCullough made NSW as did full back Gary Brooker who was picked but didn't (I think) get on the field due to injury. David Loxton only made CAS 3rds but went on to play NSW under 21s and a lot of First Grade.

Snort, actually in 1980 these schools shared the trophy, although I thought Barker and Waverley were the winners, check out the CAS website re previous winners for rugby.

I watched the game, having left the prior year, and if Waves had beaten Barker, then Waves would have won the Championship BUT Barker beat Waves at Death Valley in a close one.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks Rod, very interesting.
Barker must have had a good team to beat that Waverley side containing 5 Australian Schoolboys

Sideline,

That was the 1980 Waves side, they actually shared the trophy that year with Barker who did beat them at QP in an upset BUT the Aussie school boys you refer to in that year were still in year 11.

In 1981 the team was unbeaten all season.

S

sidelineview

Sideline,

That was the 1980 Waves side, they actually shared the trophy that year with Barker who did beat them at QP in an upset BUT the Aussie school boys you refer to in that year were still in year 11.

In 1981 the team was unbeaten all season.

!981 – Brad Burke, Matthew Burke & Tim Kava
1980 – Paul Bowman

1979 – Andrew Ugarte

It was a good era for Waverley.

31 Waverley players have made Aussie Schoolboys, including the Barbarians if Steve Finnane is included. He is an old boy. He left Waverley in Year 10 and went to Vaucluse High and made the first Aussie Schoolboys team from there in 1969.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
!981 – Brad Burke, Matthew Burke & Tim Kava
1980 – Paul Bowman

1979 – Andrew Ugarte

It was a good era for Waverley.

31 Waverley players have made Aussie Schoolboys, including the Barbarians if Steve Finnane is included. He is an old boy. He left Waverley in Year 10 and went to Vaucluse High and made the first Aussie Schoolboys team from there in 1969.

Yes sideline,

That was specifically my era, in fact 78/79, so clearly I know them all well, they are my mates.

If you like send me a private convo as to what year you left.

MrTallTimber

Stan Wickham (3)
Wow, all these memories come flooding back when you guys mention these eras!!

Brings me back to when I was watching my own boy have a blinder against GPS in 1992 (May be slightly biased, lol) but wow what a CAS competition in 1992 that was.

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Congratulations to Donladson, Frost, Morreti, Woodcock and Wright for gaining selection in the Australian schoolboys team and to Bell and Lloyd for their selection in the barbarians squad. What a spectacular year for Waverley, they have more boys in the Aus schools team that the winning side ACT. All the boys defintely deserve it and all the other CAS boys that were playing in the last fews days should be very proud of themselves making it to such a high level of rugby. What a great year for CAS rugby, can't wait for the final 3 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Congratulations to the CAS players selected in Aus Schools:

Tom Woodcock
Nick Frost
Finn Wright
Ben Donaldson
Luca Moretti

Barbarians

Marco Bell
Will Lloyd

A great show of the strength of the CAS competition this year.

Thank your parents for all their support from years of taking you to rugby games this weekend as well, the role they have had in developing you into the players you are today has lead you to this important moment.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Reading the comments on the thread (and having seen the CASvGPS game) the Pavlakis decision was interesting.

I can only assume that various selectors think he is too small for the higher tiers.
Despite this he seemingly was a weapon for CS. Hopefully he sticks with rugby and continues to grow - he certainly has some acceleration and evasisiveness.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I think a special mention to Mike Pavlakis who was my favourite player to watch this week. His footwork is dangerous.
He has outstanding acceleration over the first 5 or so metres yeah. The other players seem to stand still. Nice footwork too. I think he will go a long way despite current selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.