• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I reckon a straw poll should be taken on that match by those threaders who saw the B v W match as to whether the affirmative can be answered on 2 questions:
1. That the match was the best CAS match ever seen by those who saw it, but if not to that standard whether

2. W put on the best defensive effort ever seen in a CAS rugby match.

I would answer in the affirmative to both.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes but the view is he will recover for next year, as they are all growing these things can happen, as you probably know, funny age 13/14.

We think it more precaution, but it is real, so nothing worse occurs.
The other is our 6/5 lock, amongst a few others, I think you guys had similar last year.

I did hear that Trinity drew 15 all with Cranbrook last weekend.

So the last round may well be for the title, hopefully on Knox 1.

Im pleased he'll be ok...i watched him in the sydney 14's trials...he's electric. We did have a lot of injuries last year, my son included. See you in 2 weeks

Reactions: WLF

Scoop

Frank Row (1)
Hi, new to the forum and thought I'd my two bobs worth after watching Barker v. Waverley on Saturday.

My view is that while the Barker forwards were impressive, their backs offered absolutely nothing in attack.

To come away with just 14 points after having at least 65%+ possession through the match was woeful. Not that they were given much ball. The Barker forwards hogged it, no doubt on instructions.

The Barker coach clearly didn't have any faith in his backs to do the job.

All Barker did was pick and drive. No passing between the forwards, just bash it up. That was the game plan and they stuck to it like robots. One out the whole day.

Waverley's defence was impressive but they knew what was coming every single time. Star winger Will Loyd wasn't brought into the game at all, no inside balls - nothing.

In the first half Barker got held up over the line at least four times, resulting in repeated reset five-metre scrums. In all that time, the ball never went to the backs. The forwards ended up scoring from a line-out but only after a Waverley player got sin-binned.

At that point they'd probably had 75% to 80% of the ball, I kid you not.Speaking of line-outs, Waverley lost virtually every time they threw in, giving it straight back to Barker to run at them again and again.

So, in summary, big effort by Barker forwards, who dominated the line-outs and scrums, but they were more than matched by their counterparts in the open field.

There's talk on this forum about Barker being the favourite next year because they have 10 players returning, but gee they need some new backs and strategies with some depth.

By the way, Waverley beat the Barket 2nds with ease.

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Thanks themann, that sounds more like it.

I heard the 15-15 score as well for the 14A's. Many talking about it as that age group at Cranbrook are known not to be very strong but produced quite a strong result against a team that smashed them in the first round. The game was cut slightly short due to an injury but to the best of my knowledge it was a tie.

S

sidelineview

Hi, new to the forum and thought I'd my two bobs worth after watching Barker v. Waverley on Saturday.

My view is that while the Barker forwards were impressive, their backs offered absolutely nothing in attack.

To come away with just 14 points after having at least 65%+ possession through the match was woeful. Not that they were given much ball. The Barker forwards hogged it, no doubt on instructions.

The Barker coach clearly didn't have any faith in his backs to do the job.

All Barker did was pick and drive. No passing between the forwards, just bash it up. That was the game plan and they stuck to it like robots. One out the whole day.

Waverley's defence was impressive but they knew what was coming every single time. Star winger Will Loyd wasn't brought into the game at all, no inside balls - nothing.

In the first half Barker got held up over the line at least four times, resulting in repeated reset five-metre scrums. In all that time, the ball never went to the backs. The forwards ended up scoring from a line-out but only after a Waverley player got sin-binned.

At that point they'd probably had 75% to 80% of the ball, I kid you not.Speaking of line-outs, Waverley lost virtually every time they threw in, giving it straight back to Barker to run at them again and again.

So, in summary, big effort by Barker forwards, who dominated the line-outs and scrums, but they were more than matched by their counterparts in the open field.

There's talk on this forum about Barker being the favourite next year because they have 10 players returning, but gee they need some new backs and strategies with some depth.

By the way, Waverley beat the Barket 2nds with ease.

That puts a different spin on things.

I didnt see the game but obviously the Barker coaches devised a game plan and rolled the dice with it. Had they won I suppose they would have been geniuses.

It nearly paid off but it doesnt mean they will stick to the same game plan for next week's contest against Knox? It seems a waste not to inject Lloyd into the attack somehow.

If Waverley defeat Trinity next week, they will need to improve their line outs for the clash against Knox.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I heard the 15-15 score as well for the 14A's. Many talking about it as that age group at Cranbrook are known not to be very strong but produced quite a strong result against a team that smashed them in the first round. The game was cut slightly short due to an injury but to the best of my knowledge it was a tie.

leftrightout16,

Have a look above at the post by themann, Trinity 43 Cranbrook 17 in the 14as.

Unless you were there?

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
leftrightout16,

Have a look above at the post by themann, Trinity 43 Cranbrook 17 in the 14as.

Unless you were there?

I was not there but can confirm that from reliable sources that it was a draw. It's schoolboy rugby and by just looking at the barker and waverley result we can all see that sometimes results don't go as predicted and teams forms can vary. Cranbrook tied, take it however you will but those boys should be commended on their effort and improvement throughout this season.

Reactions: WLF

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
I reckon a straw poll should be taken on that match by those threaders who saw the B v W match as to whether the affirmative can be answered on 2 questions:
1. That the match was the best CAS match ever seen by those who saw it, but if not to that standard whether

I would answer in the affirmative to both.

Strongly disagree. Barker executed a very simple gameplan. The poor Waverley lineout and failure to adjust tactics played into their hands and made for a tough committed game from both sets of forwards as they bashed each other all day.

Over the years I've seen many, many more enjoyable games of schoolboy rugby. This game was a hard tough affair, the close score and uncertain result made it exciting edge of the seat stuff. BUT no great rugby skills on show, very little for the backs, and not a great game by any stretch.

Re Q2 - W did defend well, their goal line defence was very strong, with Barker held up over the line i think 4 times in the first half. BUT Barker tactics never varied, W knew exactly what was coming and so could compress the D-Line very tight. Conceded two tries against a heavy weight of possession but not much attacking prowess.

My feeling is that the excitement of a close hard fought game has seen the hyberbole run wild.....

S

sidelineview

Strongly disagree. Barker executed a very simple gameplan. The poor Waverley lineout and failure to adjust tactics played into their hands and made for a tough committed game from both sets of forwards as they bashed each other all day.

Over the years I've seen many, many more enjoyable games of schoolboy rugby. This game was a hard tough affair, the close score and uncertain result made it exciting edge of the seat stuff. BUT no great rugby skills on show, very little for the backs, and not a great game by any stretch.

Re Q2 - W did defend well, their goal line defence was very strong, with Barker held up over the line i think 4 times in the first half. BUT Barker tactics never varied, W knew exactly what was coming and so could compress the D-Line very tight. Conceded two tries against a heavy weight of possession but not much attacking prowess.

My feeling is that the excitement of a close hard fought game has seen the hyberbole run wild...

Ok, just for the hell of it, name the best schoolboy rugby match you have seen.

It seems the Barker/Waverley game rates highly for the tough arm wrestle it has been described as, and for sheer closeness and excitement of the contest.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)

It seems the Barker/Waverley game rates highly for the tough arm wrestle it has been described as, and for sheer closeness and excitement of the contest.

Ok, how about this one - B v W at Barker in 2013. Barker heavy favourites with a stunningly fast back 3. W ahead as time expired but their 9 deliberately threw the ball out. Penalty to Barker, length of the field try, home crowd goes wild....

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)

Knox vs Cranbrook at Hordern in 2014 comes to mind, an amazing game and very memorable for any Cranbrook supporter. Cranbrook came back in the last play of the game to slot a penalty goal from near sideline and win the game. Cranbrook were the underdogs going in and those 3 points allowed them to win the 2014 competition.

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
It's the type of game that reminds you why you like rugby.

Two teams giving absolutely everything in the battle.

The respect between the teams as they clapped each other off.

No controversy.

It will be spoken about for years to come.

They should charge entry fees to schoolboy rugby after that game.

THE wallabies could Learn from that game about what's it takes.

Does anybody think Barker have just played their Grand Final and might be a bit flat against Knox this week?

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)

Without doubt the Knox V Waverley games of 1999. It was a Knox home game and they were significant underdogs. The had two players in their team who would go on and play Super Rugby #2 Alan Manning & #12 Tom Carter.

The faced a Waverley team brimming with future stars, #5 the late Shawn McKay, #7 Tim McGann who had a significant post school career in Europe, #8 Stephen Hoiles, #9 Patrick Phibbs & #13 Morgan Turuni

In my 25 year association with CAS rugby, this was the biggest crowd i have ever seen (estimated between 9,000 & 12,000) Knox ended up taking the win 9-8 which sparked celebrations like i have never seen at a schoolboy rugby game before.

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)

Best defensive effort from a team I have seen would have to be Knox vs Kings this year. Knox crossed halfway twice in the first half with Kings having 90-95% possession. With Kings only scoring 1 try and opting to take shots at goal highlights the best defensive effort In a schoolboy rugby game this year. After trailing 13 points at half Knox went on to score 26 unanswered points with 2 excellent set piece tries to finish the game off.

S

sidelineview

My favourite game is when Waverley defeated the star studded Knox team at Death Valley in 2014 in the greatest turn up since the Fine Cotton affair.

Waverley were smashed 49-0 in the first round by Knox and were having a dismal season, but they turned it around in round 5 to win 12-10 against a full strength Knox team. A great defensive effort and show of courage and the crowd went berserk after the game.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)

My feeling is that the excitement of a close hard fought game has seen the hyberbole run wild...

You know Rugby Fan my Wife said almost exactly the same as you have outlined here. Isn't it strange how different the perspectives can be.She thought it one of the most boring and one dimensional games she has ever watched. I thought it one of the most exciting with a game plan unfolding. I get it and appreciate your perspective. Cant say I agree with it, but I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.