• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
To me it looks like a young team that aren’t trusting their abilities and playing within themselves. Interested to hear others opinions
Barker are a young team. That said Cranbrook just played a really good game without a dominant forward pack and capitalised on Barkers errors and poor positional reads.

Congrats to Waves on winning the comp.

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).

In my opinion, this is not acceptable for a match of such high calibre. Surely this says something about the consistency of CAS rugby, this is a first XV game that is being co-reffed by dads and associates of the home school…

You don’t need an earpiece to understand this.

BlackBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
Well played Waves. I've watched them play a few games this year and they have improved dramatically since the Newington game.

I don't want to bag Knox, but for a team that has so many CAS 1st and state players, they were 'bang' average today. The redhead flanker and the outside centre were outstanding but the rest didn't do a lot. But, that's the first time I've watched them play so maybe they had an off day.
Agree 777…that was the least effective performance from Knox this season.Kudos to Waverley as they didn’t allow Knox to play

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Credit to Waverley on their win I’m sure many were not expecting the season they have had based on pre season results so fair play to them.

Cranbrook v Barker was a classic, very physical and scores went both ways for majority of the game. Cranbrook forward’s obviously had it tough without Kaleb Ah-colt and Thomas Girle. I’ve heard the ref apologised to the head of Cranbrook after the game for his decision which inevitably cost them the game. As stated by @megarugbyman, it’s really not professional to have a sideline ref with a son in the team.

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).

In my opinion, this is not acceptable for a match of such high calibre. Surely this says something about the consistency of CAS rugby, this is a first XV game that is being co-reffed by dads and associates of the home school…

Welcome to barker where the penalty counts in earlier games can be over 5 to 1 and they still loose.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Well done to Knox and Waverley today in a great game of schoolboy footy.

Hats off to both teams for a great display of tough hard footy and great sportsmanship.

I believe man of the match was the Knox 7, even in a losing team, he has a big future in the game of rugby.

For Waverley, the most impressive thing from the team is the defense. They tackled on their line against Knox for 15 minutes and didn’t let them cross. They did the same against Barker and Cranbrook. They surely did a great job as a team to succeed as they have so far.

I know I have harped on about it, but to me it also highlights the issues with the CAS selection process, which then also impacts on gen blue selections.

Waverley had the fourth most selected kids but have now beaten the three teams with more selections ahead of them. Putting a mockery to the whole process. I have already highlighted some obvious errors so won’t highlight them again, and I don’t know how it is fixed for the future, but there must be some consideration to change the process in the future.

I think it also highlights a great rugby program at Waverley when Knox had 7 gen blue players and Waverley had 0. But Waverley were victorious.

To me that is a great point that could be discussed further.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Random stat of the day: Jaxson Allen became only the second player to finish with four tries for Cranbrook against Barker in a competition game - but still ended behind S Coghill, who scored five tries in the 1942 match.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Random stat of the day: Jaxson Allen became only the second player to finish with four tries for Cranbrook against Barker in a competition game - but still ended behind S Coghill, who scored five tries in the 1942 match.
He played a Stella game as did the Cranbrook 10 who gave him the tries

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Look in my view the ref had a average game. And Cranbrook in the main were the beneficiary of those 50/50 calls. The last Barker try looked completely fair at live speed. Just because Cranbrook do not contest a lineout does not automatically mean the Barker lineout is creating a shepherd. The Barker lineout catcher was the leading player in the drive. This is not a shepherd. The fact that the ref called it as such confused me. How the touch got involved was not clear to me.
Yep very unclear to me as well. However, I think the ref’s call was correct as he went to apologise for it to the Cranbrook coach after the game.

All in all it was a great game of footy. Poynton for Barker was brilliant - even with the Cranbrook supporters jeering him every time he had ball in hand (I saw a couple of pillows which was strange to me). Allen for Cranbrook was also outstanding, scoring 4 tries.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry, confused. At no level of the game does an assistant referee have authority to "overturn" a referee's decision. So the last Barker try can't have been scored in that way.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry, confused. At no level of the game does an assistant referee have authority to "overturn" a referee's decision. So the last Barker try can't have been scored in that way.
Have just got word that the touchy who overturned the decision is the Barker hooker’s dad. As I said before Cranbrook have every right to feel hard done by.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
If the touch judge was related to one of the players, it's pretty silly, not because he'd be biased but because it leaves him open to exactly the kind of discussion that's now occurring.

I once took part in a 16As game where the penalty count was 33-4 in our favour. We won 6-4. The referee was our coach's son. I've never before or since been humiliated to win.