• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Central West Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Out to Bathurst for the day to see CSU Bathurst take on Cowra in Round 1 of Central West comp.
As per last year CSU commenced with a lightweight forward pack, however with a fair bit of tiger in the tank. Game was tight for 1st half with the hgeavier Cowra team leading 12-10 at lemons.
In the 2nd half the fitter CSU team beghan finding the gaps and with effective use of the bench ran away easy winners. Hugh Medway & Jack Garrard were the pick of the winners.
In other games both Orange teams had strong victories over reigning premiers Parkes and Bathurst Bulldogs.
Early days but it could be a fairly open comp i8n the Central West this year.

Bullfrog

Stan Wickham (3)
HAve to agree chosen that it will be a very open comp this year. 8 of the 10 sides IMO can take this out. LAst weekend saw ORC defeat the defending premiers Parkes, but I do have it on good authority the Tongan connection are still not on deck for PArkes and captain Dan Ryan missing. Rhinos imports have obviously bolstered there capability with a strong win over Forbes. Will be interesting to see how they hang together for the year. Emus blew Bulldogs off the park in the first 15 minutes and raced away to a 20 - 0 scoreline. After that, Bulldogs actually won 6 - 5. Emus looked solid across the park as well as in 2nds and 3rds. Interesting to see Rhinos forfeit colts at home and NArromine forfeit 3rds at home. Some telling signs we need some strong development in our zone to maintain strong numbers in all grades in all clubs. Well done to CSU to win 3 grades against Cowra during their mid session break.
7 cockatoo club players missing from clubs for round 1 to return to clubs this week, which will bolster a couple of the clubs depth.
You mentioned Hugh Medway in your post as one of the better players. Rate Hugh very highly. Had an outstanding Central West campaign and is highly regarded in the zone.

Bullfrog

Stan Wickham (3)
BLOWES CLOTHING CUP
1st Grade
2nd Grade
3rd Grade
Colts
ROUND 1
EMU v BAT
25 – 6
18 – 14
38 – 26
5 – 23
ORC v PKS
19 – 3
51 – 14
26 – 12
Forfeit to ORC
NAR v DUB
28 – 24
0 – 52
Forfeit to DUB
0 – 31
DRH v FBS
29 – 10
17 – 7
BYE
Forfeit to FBS
CSB v COW
38 – 22
54 – 8
BYE
17 – 7

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Three foreits in there doesn't look good. Any mail on why that's happening? Parkes and Rhino's Colts, Roo's 3rds.

Are the Colt's teams short on numbers?

Any news on how the "village" clubs are going? I know that Grenfell Black Panthers played at the Cootamundra 10's tournament here in SIRU a few weeks ago and put in a good showing, with plenty of young faces in the ranks.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Three foreits in there doesn't look good. Any mail on why that's happening? Parkes and Rhino's Colts, Roo's 3rds.

Are the Colt's teams short on numbers?

Any news on how the "village" clubs are going? I know that Grenfell Black Panthers played at the Cootamundra 10's tournament here in SIRU a few weeks ago and put in a good showing, with plenty of young faces in the ranks.
Guess each sitation is different- let's face it, it's a pretty big effort for some of these towns to field 4 teams. In Dubbo you have 2 Clubs competing for players- Roos and Rhinos. Whether the aspect of School/UNI holidays had effect I am not sure.
Hopefully someone else might be able to commednt on the `village' scene.

Bullfrog

Stan Wickham (3)
Australian National Field DAys cup. Northern Division, still to start. Southern Division have now played twice. Grenfell Panthers 2 from 2. Results from second round attached.
Southern Division
ROUND 2
CAN v CDN
10 – 6
CSO v WAR
Forfeit to WAR
MOL v GFL
12 – 19
WWG v CUD
31 – 6
BLA v BYE
Go to Central West Web Site. Results for all games posted every Sunday, maybe Monday..

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sad to see Grenfell, once the strongest club in NSW Country in the late 80s and 90s, reduced to having one team in a second tier competition in their region...I still remember fondly the titanic battles (and some thrashings from them) against them when I was with Young Yabbies!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My last ever rugby game was for Blackheath vs Blayney. We used to have Cudal, Cumnock (those Cumnock c**ts, as we used to say), Tullamore, Molong, and so on. Blackheath doesn't exist any more.

I'm out at CSU Bathurst most weekdays but not on Saturdays. Pity, would love to have a local team to follow.

Bullfrog

Stan Wickham (3)
Sad to see Grenfell, once the strongest club in NSW Country in the late 80s and 90s, reduced to having one team in a second tier competition in their region...I still remember fondly the titanic battles (and some thrashings from them) against them when I was with Young Yabbies!
It is indeed sad to see the decline of rugby in some of these towns, and we all hope that it may return to the level it was 10 or so years ago, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to think that may actually happen. Having said that, the ANFD competition is indeed very vibrant and fiercely contested. It does fluctuate at times as to which clubs can / cannot field a team, but to have this competition split into a north and south conference is testament to the strength of this tier. Either that, or the NSW country boundaries need some review. :) The southern conference will be contested by teams from Condobolin, Blayney, Cudal, Charles Sturt Orange, Orange Waratahs, Grenfell, Molong, West Wyalong, and Canowindra. The Northern conference will be contested by teams from Mudgee (2 teams) , Trangie, Cumnock, Yeoval, Coonabarabran, Coolah and Wellington.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Blowes Cup-Round 2 @ 21/04/12(Home Team listed first)

Bathurst vs Parkes
Emus vs CSU
Dubbo vs Orange City
Forbes vs Narromine
Cowra vs Dubbo Rhinos

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Wasn't there but my intelligence is that CSU had a sizeable win against Emus in Orange this afternoon- more detailsother results later on.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Courtesy of the Central West website, here are the 1st Grade results for Round 2:
  • Parkes 28 defeated Bathurst 25
  • CSU 44 defeated Orange Emus 25
  • Orange City 17 defeated Dubbo Roos 5
  • Narromine 31 defeated Forbes 17
  • Dubbo Rhinos 34 defeated Cowra 12
Of interest is that all the away teams won.
Dubbo Rhinos & CSU now leading comp and I believe they meet In Round 3 @ CSU next Saturday.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Results for Round 3 are:

• Dubbo Roos 43 defeated Bathurst 21
  • Orange Emus 17 defeated Parkes 0
  • Orange City 38 defeated Forbes 3
  • Narromine 50 defeated Cowra 17
  • CSU 31 defeated Dubbo Rhinos 28
Am informed that CSU virtually got home in the last minute in a very tight game. Picking up 1 Bonus point Narromine have now joined CSU at the top of the table.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It is indeed sad to see the decline of rugby in some of these towns, and we all hope that it may return to the level it was 10 or so years ago, but I don't think any of us are naive enough to think that may actually happen. Having said that, the ANFD competition is indeed very vibrant and fiercely contested. It does fluctuate at times as to which clubs can / cannot field a team, but to have this competition split into a north and south conference is testament to the strength of this tier. Either that, or the NSW country boundaries need some review. :) The southern conference will be contested by teams from Condobolin, Blayney, Cudal, Charles Sturt Orange, Orange Waratahs, Grenfell, Molong, West Wyalong, and Canowindra. The Northern conference will be contested by teams from Mudgee (2 teams) , Trangie, Cumnock, Yeoval, Coonabarabran, Coolah and Wellington.

Coonabarabran is another who had a tremendously strong team in the early eighties which played in the Central North competition. Some of their battles with Quirindi (the Dave Carter led Quirindi), Narrabri, Moree, Gunnedah, Pirates et al were fierce. They had two or three country players around this time as well.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Results for Round 4:
  • Bathurst 19 defeated Forbes 7
  • Orange Emus 23 defeated Dubbo Roos 20
  • Orange City 45 defeated Cowra 12
  • Narromine 45 defeated Dubbo Rhinos 20
  • CSU 18 defeated Parkes 17
With the benefit of a bonus point Narromine lead other undefeated teams, Orange City & CSU. It could be that CSU's solid start to season could come undone next week when they meet Narromine, although with a home advantage.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Good to see the mighty Forbes Platypi get up over Orange Emus for their first win of the year. Hopefully they can take some confidence and build from here.

CSU had another win yesterday - might be a big year for the students.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Wasn't there but CSU defeated Narromine in all grades to continue leading the Club Championship.
Apparently it was the 1st time they have defeated Narromine in many years. I understand they travel to Dubbo this Saturday to play the Roos and the week after come up against co-leaders, Orange City. Orange City have had a very strong start to season, with very strong defensive record.
Interesting times in the Central West!

Status
Not open for further replies.