• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Choosing a ITM team to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
so ive watched the ITM cup before but dont really know the teams, who plays for them and what style of play they use anyway decided to take a bigger interest this year and choose a team to follow. Anybody on here have any opinions on who they think is the best team to support?:D

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Each year I just start watching and eventually find myself going for 1 or 2 teams in-particular. Last season I think I liked Southland and Bay of Plenty the most for some reason. Probably because they were underdogs in the top division.

This year I'll probably follow any teams with aussies fairly closely. Not sure who will have them yet though. (or just whatever teams are in my multi :D )

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
My friend's father was a scrummie for Waikato in the 70s, so I go for the Mooloo men. My mate's a Hurricanes supporter though as he lived in Wellington for 15 years before moving back to Hamilton a few years ago - I don't know if he's recently jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon, but he certainly can't stir his father anymore.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip....
This year I'll probably follow any teams with aussies fairly closely. Not sure who will have them yet though. (or just whatever teams are in my multi :D )

Then you need to jump on the Northland ITM team bandwagon.

Why, see below repost from 2Blues fan.

Promising young back Tui Fa'asisila from the Mighty Two Blues has gone over to play for Northland. Two Blues article here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chez Jarse ITM barracking will be split with some creative tension guaranteed.

One Junior Jarse and I have adopted Hawkes Bay as our ITM team.
They produce good wines from there.
You can dine and play petanque in many of the vineyards, while tasting the product on offer. Love that. Junior Jarse is just sucking up methinks.

Senior Junior Jarse has adopted Wellington Lions on the basis that they have lots of exciting young'uns coming through esp TJ Perenara, Julian Savia and Beauden Barrett. Can't for the life of me think why he is so excited about backs.

Others are undecided.

I seem to recall someone posting a guide to ITM teams (nicknames, locations etc) in some thread last year. If I find it, I will repost here as it may assist fellow Gaggerlanders to understand Nu Zulland Regby talk.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Found the Guide to ITM Teams from a couple of years back, so may be a little dated (2010 vintage).

Please advise me of any necessary edits & I will update.
Last Updated 2 September.

Credit to Scorez and Paarl Bok for producing this material.

NPCprovinces.jpg

From North to South, most teams and some past or present players:

Northland Taniwha - Maori mythical demon-like creature - likes swamps and dense scrub/bush. Peter Jones, Sid Going and his brothers, David Holwell, Ian Jones, Norm Maxwell, Rene Ranger are names from the Kauri Country. Australia's own Tui Fa'asisila from Parramatta's Mighty Two Blues will be playing with them in Season 2012.

North Harbour - No nickname, split off the Auckland Union because of too many good players in the area. Buck Shelford, Ian Jones, Glen Osbourne, Walter Little, Frank Bunce, Luke McAllister, Nick Evans, Tony Woodcock, Australia's Salesi Manu from Warringah/Western Force will be playing with them in Season 2012.

Auckland - They are known as Auckland, the Jaffa's (Just another f-wit from Auckland), Orcs, A's. nothing really sticks. Used to have a mascot elephant named "ARU" - geddit? Players like Steve McDowell, Fitzpatrick, Dowd, R Brooke, A (spit) Haden, G Whetton, A Whetton, Zinzan Valentine Brooke, David Kirk, Grant Fox, Joe Stanley, John Kirwan, Terry Wright, Afoa, Mealamu, Kaino, Toeava, Rokocoko... In the 80's, 90's hugely strong. Not so much of late. Supporters many but mostly outside of Auckland because no-one from Auckland actually lives there.

Counties-Manukau - Steelers - Jonah Tali Lomu. Nuff said. Fritz Lee, Tim Nanai-Williams, coached by Tana Umaga, Kieran Read was poached from there. DJ Forbes - NZ 7's supremo plays for the Steelers.

Waikato - Mooloo's - Dairy farming area, hence the mascot - a cow. Supporters take cowbells to the ground and all opposition fans love to hear the racket when they are shaken in support of a Waikato attack or when the oppo kicker is trying to kick a goal. Great people, Waikato fans. Richard Loe, Graham Purvis, Warren Gatland, Mark Cooksley, Keith Robinson, John Mitchell, Deon Muir, Brendon Leonard, Rhys Duggan, Ian Foster, Matthew Cooper, Richard Kahui, Sitivini Sivivatu, Mils Muliaina, Todd Miller, Roger Randle, Liam Messam, TKB are two more recent names.

Bay Of Plenty - Steamers - Large retired population. Struggle to name any players aside from Mike Delany and Tanerau Latimer, Sam Cane, Brodie and Callum Retallick of note. Uncharitably known as Bay Of Pensioners.

Hawkes Bay - Magpies. George Nepia to Zac Guildford, or better Israel Dagg, Hika Elliot, massive history.

King Country - Rams - Sir Colin Meads is from there. Nuff said.

Taranaki - They have a bull mascot called Ferdinand who has been around since at least the early 60's, but it's not part of their nickname. Bull Allen, former Taranaki player and AB, post dates Ferdinand. Jason Eaton, Andrew Hore, Craig Clarke, Beauden Barrett and Andre Taylor, plus a few others. Currently have the Ranfurly Shield.

Manawatu - Turbo's. Think it's a recent nickname from their marketing dept. Have a bunch of supporters called "Bucketheads" who wear a bucket with eyes cut in on their heads to the games. Carlos Spencer and IIRC Christian Cullen both from there, as is Aaron Cruden. All the Whitelocks are from there.

Wellington - Lions - have a lion in their logo, they've made it more prominent now. Tialata, Rodney So'oialo, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane.

Tasman - Mako's - Newish amalgamation of two former rivals - Marlborough and the other one. Nickname is all marketing. Sort of a salary haven for the Saders, Chris Jack now plays there, as does Ben Franks and a few other names that escape me. Australia's own Peter Betham (Syd Uni/Rebels) will be playing for them in 2012. Jeremy Sua (former Two Blues junior) also played for Penrith and Wests, Australia Schools, Waratahs academy and Samoa.

Canterbury - Cantab's, Red-n-Blacks - Bit of a magnet for talent, they have the Deans family, Grizz Wylie, Wayne Smith, Graham Henry (!), Steve Hansen, Dan Carter, Richard Hugh McCaw, etc, etc, etc. Like Auckland, many people don't like Canterbury.

Otago - No Nickname, used to have fanatical "Scarfie" supporters. Not so much nowadays. Strong in the shamateur days because they have a University with a good culture. Marc Ellis, Jamie Joseph, Tony Brown. Others.

Southland - Stags - Resurgent team., Simon Culhane is a past name, these days they are synonymous with Jimmy Cowan, the bogan pisshead halfback for the AB's.

The bits in blue on the NZ map are teams that compete in the Heartland Cup (2nd Division competition)

T

trophyhunter

I am pretty sure Taranaki have the Ranfurly shield at the moment. I am not sure on the upcoming season, but last season I am pretty sure they had Craig Clarke, Beauden Barrett and Andre Taylor, plus a few others.

My old man is originally from there, so that is my ITM team of choice. Led to believe the mascot is a bull called Ferdinand.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
For the ITM Cup Premiership I follow Canturbury (I know big shock there ;)).

For the ITM Cup Championship I follow Tasman.

Both sides have Saders. It is also a nice sight seeing Nasi Manu playing for Cantabs.

If both teams were in the same comp I'd just go for both.

One of the rival clubs that came to form Tasman is called "Nelson Bays" which is almost identical in spelling to NSW Port Stephens area "Nelson Bay" where a fair bit of my family is from. Kind of a strange coincidence.

Naturally I'm always interested in any Aussies playing - for any side in the ITM cup.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I support the former great side/financially stable Otago. Otaaaaaaagoooooooooo. Then the stags, from dad's side and anyone playing Canterbury.

I see they're trialling the new laws this year. I can't say I agree with the five second at back of ruck rule but the rest should be alright.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Manawatu are good to watch with Smith and Cruden in the halves

Is Rennie coaching them again this year?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I support the former great side/financially stable Otago. Otaaaaaaagoooooooooo. Then the stags, from dad's side and anyone playing Canterbury.

I see they're trialling the new laws this year. I can't say I agree with the five second at back of ruck rule but the rest should be alright.

It will be interesting to see how it goes but I don't like the idea of it being a scrum penalty if you do go past the 5secs - otherwise it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
It will be interesting to see how it goes but I don't like the idea of it being a scrum penalty if you do go past the 5secs - otherwise it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

Imagine that, trying to speed the game up with a short arm free kick that can be taken as a scrum. LOL.

I don't want the rule at all, I think they just need to call that the ball is out of the ruck much more often and effectively. You shouldn't be able to have the ball sitting there at the back with some guy, who is off his feet, having his leg hang out the back.

J

Jiggles

I adopted Manawatu a couple of years ago. You have got to love a bunch of fans who can wear buckets with a straight face.

Reactions: ACR

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've always liked Hawkes Bay and even more after visiting there last year. It's one of the most beautiful places I've even been to. Great wine, food, scenery and a great little stadium too.

They even have their own song...

I normally hate Magpie teams, but I make an exception for these guys. Black, White, Alright.....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't mind Hawke's Bay aswell. They have a pretty strong squad, alot of Samoans and All Blacks. If their team is anything like last year they should be pretty strong

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDDD!!!!!

I can't believe you didn't put the great Michael Jones in the list above HJ!! Or Eroni Clarke.....I suppose I can't blame you ....too many great legends from Auckland ;)

Also the tragic Joeli Vidiri from Counties.....what could have been :(

Auckland won a couple of titles under Pat Lam a few years back.....hopefully we're back up there again this year. I like the look of some of the young guys who played for the Blues at the end of the season - the Saili brothers, Matt Luatua etc. Hope they're playing for AUckland in the ITM.

Northland are my 2nd team and the only team I like to see beat Auckland. I grew up in Kaitaia - yes, google it....LOL

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The summary was based on input from others. I am indebted to them for that, and have credited them for their efforts. I take little responsibility for the accuracy which admittedly is a little dated. The post was from 2010 after all.

I will update the guide once I get the updated information from Gaggerlanders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jarse, you can let senior/junior know that Perenara is out for year and not playing for Wgton Lions, and Barrett is actually a Taranaki boy, his dad was actually one of the Naki's stalwarts for years in 80s and 90s. Also Ferdinand the Bull had been the Naki mascot well before Bull Allen, he was mascot way back in early 60s when I was a lad (hell was I a lad that long ago?) and they had a long Shield tenure!
I tend to follow both Manawatu and Wellington, as I come from between the 2 of them, and my province Horowhenua (otherwise known as the 'Mighty Nua') is only a heartland team.

Status
Not open for further replies.