• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Should check on how the colts at Randwick have gone over the past few years. They have gone very well especially after coming basically last in 2009.
Be interesting once they play a top 6 side instead of bottom 6 and in most cases bottom 4
Think you are being a tad harsh. The Wicks dominated easts winning by 24 points. The Beasts lost to Uni the week before by 3 points. Wicks also beat the Woodies 2 weeks ago who then beat Manly next start.
I agree with whoever posted the suggestion to expect further surprises.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Easts play manly this week. Given last weeks results it will be interesting to see how both teams go.

I am advised from one of the coaches Manly had 22 players out of colts squad across the grades - further understand that Woodies, despite great performance , in last minutes fell over the line with a technical penalty re obstruction from restart after Manly scored to go ahead - no excuses particularly after trial form but Easts will be playing young Marlins with a fair bit to prove at home. I'd still back a Uni v Manly GF.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
events-header.jpg

Colts Lunch with Steve Williams - Saturday 4 May
LAST CHANCE TO BUY TICKETS FOR THE STEVE WILLIAMS LUNCH.Go on-line now to book your seat www.trybooking.com/46650
It is easy to book and there will be no ticket sales on the day.

Steve Williams Captain of the Marlins' 1983 Shute Shield winning team, Wallaby 1980-1985 playing 56 internationals, including 28 Tests, 1984 Grand Slam victory and captain of the Wallabies in 5 Tests.

Watch the exciting Colts style of play from the Balcony, the best seats in the house.

Date: Saturday 4 May 2013
Time: 1.00pm
Venue: The George Smith Room in the Manly Oval Pavilion
Cost: $50.00 per person, includes buffet lunch and drinks (beer, wine, soft from 1.00 to 3.00pm).

To Reserve your seat; make your booking at www.trybooking.com/46650by
Wednesday 1 May 2013. Seats are limited to 50. There will be no cash sales
on the day.

Our Lunch Sponsors; Ausflow Irrigation, Garfish Restaurants and Bring Back
Rucking Club (est 1823).

Contact Allan Dodd 0418 987 366 or Phil Brand 0421 612 248

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Think you are being a tad harsh. The Wicks dominated easts winning by 24 points. The Beasts lost to Uni the week before by 3 points. Wicks also beat the Woodies 2 weeks ago who then beat Manly next start.
I agree with whoever posted the suggestion to expect further surprises.
Big ask of Easts to back up on the Saturday after playing Uni on the Tuesday night and no doubt played there hearts out against Uni
Randwick are a good side, no doubt about that and the colts programme over the past 3 or 4 years has been the shining light of the club but I think the focus has gone off Colts again by the new head coach of the club which could prove costly as its evident by all the people from various clubs who contribute to this thread that clubs are really throwing good resources at there colts to keep the club foundations strong.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Big ask of Easts to back up on the Saturday after playing Uni on the Tuesday night and no doubt played there hearts out against Uni
Randwick are a good side, no doubt about that and the colts programme over the past 3 or 4 years has been the shining light of the club but I think the focus has gone off Colts again by the new head coach of the club which could prove costly as its evident by all the people from various clubs who contribute to this thread that clubs are really throwing good resources at there colts to keep the club foundations strong.
I'm not sure what you mean by focus off the Colts TAndF. From what l have seen from the couple of games is that the young men are a really cohesive unit with all the boys cheering from 3's through to 1's on. Injured lads are all there, good mix of family and friends by the look of it. I honestly thought that the Randwick Colts have it together. By the looks of it they all want to go up to Seniors with the likes of the Baldwins and the Royes too. From an outsider, they look a lot more together than some of the other I have had the plleasure of watching this year

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The players who may receive financial assistance receive such from the Sydney Uni Sports Foundation not the University itself, and there aren't too many of those contrary to popular perception.

The 2011 annual report for USyd Sport and Fitness lists 71 scholarships for rugby.

If the uni and it's faculties allocate funds to Sport and Fitness, who then give it to the rugby players, then I think it is bit of a stretch to say the uni doesn't provide money for the scholarships.

I think it is terrific that USyd does this. Good to see other clubs following their example.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks. That number is interesting. Where do you get a copy of the Annual report?
Does that report mention the scholarships, recipients and the respective value of each, or just list 71 names as being on "scholarship".

I'd be very surprised if they were all the same value, and that they all represented a zero uni fees option or better option.

My comment that I didn't think too many were on scholarships is sort of related to not many being on the "Full scholarship" option.

Example: I believe Brogan Roods was a previous recipient of a SUSF "Scholarship". He has now moved from Uni to Randwick for a Wicks UNSW scholarship, which I think I have read somewhere are for $5k. I would say that whatever scholarship he was on at Uni previously was somewhere in that $5k ball park.

I know many parents are paying significantly more than $5k for their kids to attend University.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
The 2011 annual report for USyd Sport and Fitness lists 71 scholarships for rugby.

If the uni and it's faculties allocate funds to Sport and Fitness, who then give it to the rugby players, then I think it is bit of a stretch to say the uni doesn't provide money for the scholarships.

I think it is terrific that USyd does this. Good to see other clubs following their example.
Do you mean that other clubs are awarding 71 Rugby scholarships also ?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No amounts HJ. But more than 300 athletes on scholarships.

Roods is doing OK. $10K for one game in 2 years?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks. That number is interesting. Where do you get a copy of the Annual report?
Does that report mention the scholarships, recipients and the respective value of each, or just list 71 names as being on "scholarship".

I'd be very surprised if they were all the same value, and that they all represented a zero uni fees option or better option.

My comment that I didn't think too many were on scholarships is sort of related to not many being on the "Full scholarship" option.

Example: I believe Brogan Roods was a previous recipient of a SUSF "Scholarship". He has now moved from Uni to Randwick for a Wicks UNSW scholarship, which I think I have read somewhere are for $5k. I would say that whatever scholarship he was on at Uni previously was somewhere in that $5k ball park.

I know many parents are paying significantly more than $5k for their kids to attend University.

I heard a couple of years ago that most of their colts scholarships were for about 2K!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ 300 scholarships - crikey. They can't all be full scholarships. I'd reckon that most of them are in the $1-$5k "value" with most of the "value" being contra in nature rather than the cold hard cash in a brown paper bag type. Still - it all adds up. They must be running a very slick operation to be able to sustain that. Bravo to them.

It seems that $5k is about the benchmark "scholarship" amount. Wicks/UNSW are for this amount. IIRC the same sort of figures have been mentioned for the Gordon/UTS and Manly/ICMS arrangements. The Wicks have 5 recipients. Gordon have 8, and Manly is somewhere close to that. I think Parra 2 Blues have some arrangements with a TAFE that is more about training opportunities than "scholarships" like those at Wicks/Manly/Gordon/uni.

I'm all for this. The kids need to understand that only a very small % will make money out of rugby, the rest have to study and prepare for real jobs in the real world. Any assistance/encouragement towards a securing a good long term future is to be encouraged.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not sure if this is the right thread, but can anyone tell me how the State and Australian Under 20s are selected?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In NSW the "state u20's" (no such thing) are players that were invited to attend some trainings at the end of last season that were eligible for selection in the Oz u20 team this year. The players came from both grade and colts and included ARU academy players and non-academy players. Most but not all had some previous rep honors at schools and junior levels.

From this group (around 50) the final selection was made to invite players to the camps in Canberra from which the Oz team is selected. Again this group was made up of Academy and some non-academy players.

From the first two camps a final group of 50 odd players were invited to the third camp from wehich the OZ team was selected. All players selected in the OZ team were either ARU academy or affiliated with a Super franchise.

Were non-academy/ Super franchise players really a chance of being selected? Don't know the answer to that one

B

BellyTwoBlues

And, on the subject of OUTRAGES - this whole Carlton sponsorship thing needs to be re-thought if it means that we must drink only their products. What is the world coming to when VB is the best on offer? Could turn a man off beer.

We're just honouring CUB's sponsorship of the competition. We have been selling Carlton Draught (my preferred choice by the way) and VB exclusively for home matches this year. Despite the calls of outrage, our beer sales have increased 150% this year from 2012.

Be that as it may, the exclusivity of the CUB products on offer will cease with the addition of New being re-stacked into the fridges....................

I can hear the cheers from here!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
We're just honouring CUB's sponsorship of the competition. We have been selling Carlton Draught (my preferred choice by the way) and VB exclusively for home matches this year. Despite the calls of outrage, our beer sales have increased 150% this year from 2012.

Be that as it may, the exclusivity of the CUB products on offer will cease with the addition of New being re-stacked into the fridges........

I can hear the cheers from here!
B..bu..bu..but I've been training myself to drink VB! There's a wasted carton. <mental note> remind her indoors to get some Tooheys New for the weekend</mental note>
And on the subject of OUTRAGES: I'm in Perth for a couple of days - a pint of New is $10. And that's the cheapest beer they have. The horror, the horror.... That's the real impact of the mining boom right there.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
In NSW the "state u20's" (no such thing) are players that were invited to attend some trainings at the end of last season that were eligible for selection in the Oz u20 team this year. The players came from both grade and colts and included ARU academy players and non-academy players. Most but not all had some previous rep honors at schools and junior levels.

From this group (around 50) the final selection was made to invite players to the camps in Canberra from which the Oz team is selected. Again this group was made up of Academy and some non-academy players.

From the first two camps a final group of 50 odd players were invited to the third camp from wehich the OZ team was selected. All players selected in the OZ team were either ARU academy or affiliated with a Super franchise.

Were non-academy/ Super franchise players really a chance of being selected? Don't know the answer to that one
So it's pretty much reputation and how-good-I-look-in-the- Academy selection? That's what's wrong with Australian Rep Rugby right there. If you think I'm wrong, 8th place in the 2012 Junior Worlds might suggest otherwise?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
So it's pretty much reputation and how-good-I-look-in-the- Academy selection? That's what's wrong with Australian Rep Rugby right there. If you think I'm wrong, 8th place in the 2012 Junior Worlds might suggest otherwise?
I've always thought that there's a strong element of defending past decisions in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.