• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Confit Chicken Maryland Cooking Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone know the best time for do a swag of large sized chicken marylands confit style? I am using a mixture of duck fat and olive oli for the cooking medium. So far I am thinking of doing it at 85 - 90C in a fan-forved for three hours. Would anyone have any further ideas? Chef Google was gettng confusing and tedious.

I am thinking of serving it up with a buerre rouge, mashed potatoes and parmesan crisps.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
After 2 hours poke it with a fork. You basically need to cook it until it is falling off the bone. Depends on the size of the pieces of course and if you have them in a single layer or multiple layers. Once done in oven and just before serving sear off in pan.

Where do you live? Can I come to dinner?

Bloody cooking tips on a rugby site. Who've thunk?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I cook duck confit for one hour. Three hours seems a bit long.

Do you fry or grill the chicken? I like to cut all the oil with a liberal touch of balsamic in my sauce or a quince jelly.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I cook duck confit for one hour. Three hours seems a bit long.

Do you fry or grill the chicken? I like to cut all the oil with a liberal touch of balsamic in my sauce or a quince jelly.

One hour wouldn't be enough in a 80-95C oven, but again depends on the size of the pieces, number etc etc etc.

I fry in a pan and I think that that crisps the skin up quicker without drying it out.

And the balsamic & quince jelly sounds good. Have also been know to make a cherry red wine vinegar sauce to go with as well.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks...I will check at 2 hours @ 85/90C.

And will fry off afterwards in a pan for the crispy skin.

The balsamic and quince sounds good. I may go for a red wine/ quince. I am using a 10 yr old bottle of poorly stored Bin 407 - which I fear may be close to vinigar - so that could: fry some chopped shallots in butter, add the quince paste and wine, reduce and season.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Knock through a couple of nobs of butter too if you are not watching you colestorel. What am I talking about you are confiting something.......

So what time for dinner?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
In the end it was just over 3 hours at 90C. The oven is a fan-forced so i think it may be a bit fast (I blind baked a tart shell earlier and that came out more brown than desirable). So I think around 2.5 hours and then checking could be the go. However the meat was moist and juicy- when I was frying them to crisp the skin they were falling apart. The cliche "you could cut the meat with a spoon" was very applicable. Though my one was one of the ones near the surface and there was a suggestion that the meat was a little stringy. However you could not really complain about the texture. Though the cooking medium was duck fat and olive oil, the flavours of the marinade came through: bay leaves, pepper corns, thyme, salt, garlic, sherry and verjuice. I made a sauce of red wine, shallots, quince paste veal jus and butter. This was a good combo...you didn't notice the apparent richness and the red wine and chicken was complimentary. Next time I do it, I might throw in some citrus into the marinade and serve it up with a lemon butter sauce. And instead of mashed potato, try it with polenta or even a risotto (say a prawn risotto).

And I think it could be solid enough for a main. I served it as an entree; by the time the cheeses arrived after dessert the diners were struggling a bit.

Also the Morris Grand Muscat is quite a good drop. It goes nicely with a good cheddar.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the end it was just over 3 hours at 90C. The oven is a fan-forced so i think it may be a bit fast (I blind baked a tart shell earlier and that came out more brown than desirable). So I think around 2.5 hours and then checking could be the go. However the meat was moist and juicy- when I was frying them to crisp the skin they were falling apart. The cliche "you could cut the meat with a spoon" was very applicable. Though my one was one of the ones near the surface and there was a suggestion that the meat was a little stringy. However you could not really complain about the texture. Though the cooking medium was duck fat and olive oil, the flavours of the marinade came through: bay leaves, pepper corns, thyme, salt, garlic, sherry and verjuice. I made a sauce of red wine, shallots, quince paste veal jus and butter. This was a good combo...you didn't notice the apparent richness and the red wine and chicken was complimentary. Next time I do it, I might throw in some citrus into the marinade and serve it up with a lemon butter sauce. And instead of mashed potato, try it with polenta or even a risotto (say a prawn risotto).

And I think it could be solid enough for a main. I served it as an entree; by the time the cheeses arrived after dessert the diners were struggling a bit.

Also the Morris Grand Muscat is quite a good drop. It goes nicely with a good cheddar.

Excellent to hear! We all expect an invite to the next one?

Status
Not open for further replies.