• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Contador suspended for 'roids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sadly Spoony, it is not a few bad apples.

EPO is undetectable after 8 hours.
HGH has never been detected despite wide use.
THC (the clear) was a widely used steroid for 10 years that could not be detected.
Testosterone Cream can't be detected.
SARMS. The new 'clear', a steroid used by up to 20% of elite athletes is undetectable as we speak.
Caffeine, Prozac, Ritilin and Modafinal are legal performance enhancing drugs.

It becomes a bit like an US/Soviet arms race where you get left behind if you want to be clean. Nicolas Aubier, a former French professional cyclist, explains the rationale behind drug use in the book Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist, by Paul Kimmage: “To be honest, I don’t think it’s possible to make the top 100 on the ranking list without taking EPO, growth hormone or some of the other stuff.”

In 2006 Operacion Puerto implicated 55 cyclists (Contador and F. Schlek included) and 150 tennis and soccer players in blood doping and steroid use. This was one doctor's handiwork.

Sad but true.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Now I think of it we don't hear much about steroids and rowing... I wonder why not?

TH you forgot to mention Blood Doping - completely undetectable.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
SF, Blood doping and EPO go hand in hand.

As I understand. In the off season, take your EPO, wait the required 8 hours, and give a litre of blood to your dodgy doctor. He seperates the red cells and plasma. On race day Dr. Dodgy injects red cells and undectectable EPO enriched plasma. Simple and no vials of incriminating drugs to be seen.

As cyclists use a cocktail of drugs the blood is tested before it is stored. Flandis and Contador came unstuck when the official testing machinery picked up small traces that their dodgy doctors' machinery were unable to detect.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Sadly Spoony, it is not a few bad apples.

In 2006 Operacion Puerto implicated 55 cyclists (Contador and F. Schlek included) and 150 tennis and soccer players in blood doping and steroid use. This was one doctor's handiwork.

Sad but true.

I have just been reading up on this Operation. Andy Schleck wasnt involved but there is some pretty suss evidence against his brother who somehow got away without a ban; "Fränk Schleck - Schleck admitted transferring nearly 7000 euros to a bank account held by Dr. Fuentes, but denied any doping or personal contact with Fuentes.[45]"

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you don't like watching races that might be decided by drugs, then don't watch the Tour, it's pretty boring relative to other cycling races anyway.

The best races are the 1 day races in spring, hopefully SBS show a few of them live or in a highlights package (or if you have Eurosport you get them all live :D ). I'll start a thread when they start. Matthew Goss will be defending his Milan San-Remo title from 2011 for Green-Edge. It is probably the biggest sprinters classic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_–_San_Remo

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Michael Rogers has been provisionally suspended by the sport's governing body after testing positive to the banned substance clenbuterol.

Same stuff that fluffybunnyador used. Rogers is also saying he must have had some of the infected meat as he has not taken anything knowingly.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What are the odds of two guys testing positive from contaminated meat?

If you look at Michael Rogers' past, he has ridden on some very interesting teams and he has some very interesting connections.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What are the odds of two guys testing positive from contaminated meat?

If you look at Michael Rogers' past, he has ridden on some very interesting teams and he has some very interesting connections.

Indeed. I was pretty disappointed to read that he'd been pinged and then I saw the company he'd kept in the past. Not that surprising then.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Indeed. I was pretty disappointed to read that he'd been pinged and then I saw the company he'd kept in the past. Not that surprising then.
Yeah, when I saw his history I thought it was a bit suss too. But you never know he might have been eating from the same lunch-box as Contador

Status
Not open for further replies.