• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^ yeah, sucks to be in Auckland right now but at least the rest of us can see a glimmer of what we think might be light at what we're pretty sure is possibly the end of the tunnel. Also we're not as fucked as Melbourne let alone NSW.
Some basic math needed here. NZ is considerably worse than Vic on Covid cases (24 hour) than Victoria per population. Let alone Melbourne.

NSW is in trouble.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
^ Vic 21K cases & 820 deaths NZ 3K & 26.
Think he means currently. No doubt NZ has managed it better than Melbourne over the 2 years.

Victoria is 4x as large as Auckland. We recorded 80 today, Auckland recorded 68.

Regardless, we're both boned me thinks.

edit:

what is extraordinary is NZ recorded 88 thousand vaccinations today. Damn good job. That's 2% of your population.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^ Vic 21K cases & 820 deaths NZ 3K & 26.
Historic data is always interesting. What's happening now is, well what's happening now.

Tell me I'm wrong and where. I have 68 cases last 24 hour in NZ with a population of, what, 5.1 million?
I've got Victoria 80 cases in a population of 6.5 million.

No time for complacency here.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely & you'll find no complacency here.

68/ 5.1 = 13.3/ Mn
80/ 6.5 = 12.3/ Mn

So not a great deal of difference - perception here, though, is that Vic isn't far off being another NSW. Guess it depends on what numbers & timeframe you're looking at.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Absolutely & you'll find no complacency here.

68/ 5.1 = 13.3/ Mn
80/ 6.5 = 12.3/ Mn

So not a great deal of difference - perception here, though, is that Vic isn't far off being another NSW. Guess it depends on what numbers & timeframe you're looking at.

So perception is that Victoria is in trouble. Not a hard position. But greater input in NZ is simply, I don't no, not a bother?

Victoria is definitely a candidate for NSW #2. Still. Personally I'd rather be in Victoria than NZ.

Edit: Or at least Melbourne over Aukland.

Last edited:

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
So perception is that Victoria is in trouble. Not a hard position. But greater input in NZ is simply, I don't no, not a bother?

Victoria is definitely a candidate for NSW #2. Still. Personally I'd rather be in Victoria than NZ.

Edit: Or at least Melbourne over Aukland.
Victoria is tracking almost the same as NSW for cases outside of iso at the same time in the outbreak, but about a third of the mystery cases. We are very likely to be NSW V2 insofar as I don't think we will see any real easing of restrictions until we hit the vaccination targets.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some good numbers from NSW.
Only 17% of ICU beds are occupied by Covid sufferers.
Small death total yesterday - 2, both had underlying health conditions. One in 60s, one in 90s.
More good news - schools will be re-opened on a staggered timetable. HSC hs been put back but at least the kids now have a date (Nov 9) instead of uncertainty.

I get the feeling that Gladys Bereshocklian is slowly pivoting away from case numbers as the prime criterion and accepting vaccination numbers and seriousness of the positive cases as the drivers of her policies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Northlanders will be spewing but everyone South of the Bombays will go to Level 3 (at which point businesses can trade provided it's contactless) from midnight Tuesday. Auckland & Northland likely to remain in lockdown for at least another week & probably two when that decision is announced on Monday based on Jacinda's comments today.

Total cases now 347 of which 70% are Pasifika which is in line with previous outbreaks but this time around there are more cases in the under-30 than over-60 demographic.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cases increasing in leaps & bounds, now at 277 of which all but 14 are in Auckland & most of those South Auckland. Still none in the South Island: Covid has been detected in Christchurch's waste water but that could be from MIQ rather than the community.

NZ other than Auckland's lockfown gets reviewed tomorrow & I'm hopeful they'll flag a drop to Level 3 for the South & most of the North in which case I could potentially be working Saturday to get the joint ready for trading from Monday.

Auckland I think will remain in hard lockdown for at least another week & possibly two until the numbers start to come down.
The silver lining for you guys will hopefully be that vaccinations will shoot up now that you have a pressing need to vaccinated. You guys are well behind on that front.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The silver lining for you guys will hopefully be that vaccinations will shoot up now that you have a pressing need to vaccinated. You guys are well behind on that front.
Haven't been following NZ vax process.
Is their low vax rate due to hesitancy, poor roll out process, or complacency (because of low case numbers until now)?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZ had things under control when the great vaccine lolly scramble was on which meant A) we could afford to let other countries be guinea pigs for the vaccine (like Israel); and B) we would be out bid by larger countries, particularly those with bungled responses (such as the US and UK). Thus, NZ was at the bottom of the pecking order and really just had to wait our turn.

Supply is now sorted, however, and the vaccination rollout is now in motion with the current weekly vaccination rate of 1.05 doses per 100 people, which is ahead of the UK (0.89) and US (1.01) peaks.

Last edited:

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Victoria is tracking almost the same as NSW for cases outside of iso at the same time in the outbreak, but about a third of the mystery cases. We are very likely to be NSW V2 insofar as I don't think we will see any real easing of restrictions until we hit the vaccination targets.
Those “active in the community” cases you see in NSW are just those who they have managed to contact by the time they update the numbers. For example, if NSW had 500 cases in a day and reported 50 were active in the community it could be that the real number was actually 200, they just hadn’t been able to contact them all. They don’t update you the next day with “actually, it was 200 active in the community yesterday.” I’m hoping it’s not the same for Victoria, since with lower numbers it’s easier to contact everyone, but my submission is that it is likely.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Those “active in the community” cases you see in NSW are just those who they have managed to contact by the time they update the numbers. For example, if NSW had 500 cases in a day and reported 50 were active in the community it could be that the real number was actually 200, they just hadn’t been able to contact them all. They don’t update you the next day with “actually, it was 200 active in the community yesterday.” I’m hoping it’s not the same for Victoria, since with lower numbers it’s easier to contact everyone, but my submission is that it is likely.
All I can say is I hope so. This lockdown seems so much worse than last year's long one. From our group of friends you can see that it is starting to crack people who made it through last year in pretty good shape. These are not people who are being financially crushed by this either. Pretty hard to take when we have one active case in the area and could legitimately create a hard border with the rest of Melbourne by closing 18 bridges (not that I counted).

I think it is time for Dan Andrews to admit defeat and open up to something that makes life a bit easier for people, at least in areas with no virus. Some of what NSW is doing my makes sense once you accept that this thing is here to stay.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A glimmer of light on the horizon.
Denmark is to lift all its remaining Covid-19 restrictions by 10 September after the health ministry declared the virus “no longer a critical threat to society” because of the country’s high level of vaccination. The Guardian

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
A glimmer of light on the horizon.
Denmark is to lift all its remaining Covid-19 restrictions by 10 September after the health ministry declared the virus “no longer a critical threat to society” because of the country’s high level of vaccination. The Guardian
All we have to do is convince a few of our fellow Australians to get vaccinated.