• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) has effectively shut our borders until February. I'm fucking furious if I'm completely honest. I know the vaccination rate lags the country and I get that. But the state govt and many of my fellow WA citizens have either been complacent about the jab or hiding under the doona hoping the world will go away. This puts all sorts of things that make life actually worth living (sport, travel etc) at risk. Myself and many like me actually want to leave the state at some point for all sorts of reasons (and come back!) so this is a depressing situation. Better than lockdown, yes completely respectful of that, but it feels increasingly like a hermit kingdom over here.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) has effectively shut our borders until February. I'm fucking furious if I'm completely honest. I know the vaccination rate lags the country and I get that. But the state govt and many of my fellow WA citizens have either been complacent about the jab or hiding under the doona hoping the world will go away.

One feeds t'other.

And yet I've seen very recently on FTA TV a tourism ad for WA!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McGowan should have promised a referendum on seceding once WA gets to relevant vaccination level. That would have got you there much faster.

giphy.gif

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fuck no. Abolish the Feds. Everything they touch turns into decaying fecal matter.
Good grief. I agree with you. At the risk of going off topic, what a wonderful country we would live in if the Feds were pared right back to Constitution-sized responsibilities, there were no duplicated Fed/State departments, and income tax powers were given back to the states. Then we the people could choose to live in the best run State.
States were exemplary in the handling of the pandemic, for the most part.
You don't live in Victoria, do you?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
This puts all sorts of things that make life actually worth living (sport, travel etc) at risk.
Yep. The Nationals for surf life saving are due to be held at Scarboro and Trigg Island beaches in April '22.
All arrangements are still up in the air with clubs and competitors around Australia waiting for certainty in location and confirmation of it going ahead at all.
The huge influx of competitors, officials, families and supporters is usually a huge money spinner for the host state.
If you do secede, I'll need both a vax passport and an international travel passport just to get to Perth.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good grief. I agree with you. At the risk of going off topic, what a wonderful country we would live in if the Feds were pared right back to Constitution-sized responsibilities, there were no duplicated Fed/State departments, and income tax powers were given back to the states. Then we the people could choose to live in the best run State.

You don't live in Victoria, do you?

100% yes

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was told we had to get to 70 then 80% to open up. Haven't read anywhere that that has changed. I've read lots of good news stories about maybe getting to 90% and beyond.
Victoria's Roadmap says

Phase D: 90% fully vaccinated (12+ years)

Indicative date: 24 November 2021
Once 90% of Victorians aged 12 and over are fully vaccinated, all gathering limits, capacity and density limits will no longer apply.

The smaller print says those "freedoms" are only available to the fully vaccinated. Kids (over 12) included.

From the NSW Roadmap, Restrictions will ease when NSW reaches 95% double vaccination or on 15 December.
That includes the big one,
  • proof of vaccination no longer required by Public Health Order

Since covid is dangerous for the elderly and sick, there is no need to mandate vaccinations or destroy the economy for the sake of the low risk healthy and young.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
McGowan should have promised a referendum on seceding once WA gets to relevant vaccination level. That would have got you there much faster.
Could he have just ignored the fact that it would take a national referendum, passed in a majority of States with an overall majority, for secession to take place? Or might he think that none of his locals will twig to that?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Victoria's Roadmap says

Phase D: 90% fully vaccinated (12+ years)

Indicative date: 24 November 2021
Once 90% of Victorians aged 12 and over are fully vaccinated, all gathering limits, capacity and density limits will no longer apply.

The smaller print says those "freedoms" are only available to the fully vaccinated. Kids (over 12) included.

From the NSW Roadmap, Restrictions will ease when NSW reaches 95% double vaccination or on 15 December.
That includes the big one,
  • proof of vaccination no longer required by Public Health Order

Since covid is dangerous for the elderly and sick, there is no need to mandate vaccinations or destroy the economy for the sake of the low risk healthy and young.
At those percentages, with borders open and minor restrictions for those who are vaccinated and have protected themselves how is the economy being destroyed exactly? I'm a Victorian (from Melbourne) and have crossed the border into NSW twice today, I'm going back up in six weeks and am flying to Fiji in January. I don't see where the economy or sensible people are being restricted.

The conscioulsy unvaccinated can remain benched for being shit team mates.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Firstly, science is science what we know is what evolves. The efficacy was always going to wain they just didn't know it, and frankly how could they?
I don't know what you were told but I was told we had to get to 70 then 80% to open up. Haven't read anywhere that that has changed. I've read lots of good news stories about maybe getting to 90% and beyond.
As for mandates I keep hearing my body my choice all the time but it's not just my body is it. It's every person's body I come into contact with. I will insist on my dental hygienist having a shot. And my server, and the nurse at my doctors office, and my barber, and my massage therapist being up to date with their shots.
Just because you're happy to take your chances doesn't mean I'm will to take your chances too.
User pays is not how our society was built and this has been a wake up call for a lot of people.

This.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Bench 'em".
This would ruin the lives of many Australians when, according to the graphic above, you (a vaccinated person) have a 10x less chance of catching covid from a covid-carrying unvaccinated person. This of course assumes the un-vaxxed do have covid.
Benching them would deny them access to work, school and uni, doctors' surgeries, hospitals, attending funerals and weddings, shopping, sport, the beach, music concerts etc etc even if they aren't carrying the virus.
Less than 1% of the Australian population have caught covid since it began and yet for this low number non-vaccinated people would be turned into 2nd class citizens.
1% of Australians who caught covid have died. That figure would be lower at 0.5% if not for the disaster of Victoria's flawed hotel quarantine scheme. Today's WorldOmeter shows 0.7% of current covid cases are serious or critical.
0.007% of the Australian population have died of covid since the first case was reported.
People under 50 account for 65 deaths across the nation.

These figures are small in the national context. The individual stories of the harm covid does are heart-wrenching and tell us that everyone should take all possible personal precautions they deem fit for themselves and their family.
However denying the unvaccinated (and probably covid-free) access to earning a living or participating in society is an over the top reaction so beloved of Australia's state governments.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Who contracted Covid-19 [in NZ] in the last two weeks?​

Based on the cases in the last fortnight, unvaccinated people are 10 times more likely to get Covid-19 than people who have received two doses, and 20 times more likely to be hospitalised.
Vaccination statusNumber of peopleTotal casesHospitalised casesTotal cases per millionHospitalised cases per million
Fully vaccinated2,980,1633279110
One dose only663,17438719584
Unvaccinated720,243767441065
Not eligible765,0203796495

"Not eligible" being the under-12's. I'd imagine Australia's numbers would be similar?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
"Bench 'em".
This would ruin the lives of many Australians when, according to the graphic above, you (a vaccinated person) have a 10x less chance of catching covid from a covid-carrying unvaccinated person. This of course assumes the un-vaxxed do have covid.
Benching them would deny them access to work, school and uni, doctors' surgeries, hospitals, attending funerals and weddings, shopping, sport, the beach, music concerts etc etc even if they aren't carrying the virus.
Less than 1% of the Australian population have caught covid since it began and yet for this low number non-vaccinated people would be turned into 2nd class citizens.
1% of Australians who caught covid have died. That figure would be lower at 0.5% if not for the disaster of Victoria's flawed hotel quarantine scheme. Today's WorldOmeter shows 0.7% of current covid cases are serious or critical.
0.007% of the Australian population have died of covid since the first case was reported.
People under 50 account for 65 deaths across the nation.

These figures are small in the national context. The individual stories of the harm covid does are heart-wrenching and tell us that everyone should take all possible personal precautions they deem fit for themselves and their family.
However denying the unvaccinated (and probably covid-free) access to earning a living or participating in society is an over the top reaction so beloved of Australia's state governments.
the risk factor for unvax on vax transmission is a whole order of magnitude higher than vax on vax.

They can jog on if they think I'm being exposed to that increased risk for their anti-vax nonsense.