• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think it's in line with the NZ Gov's path through this so far. They have done an amazing job of keeping people safe so far. I think getting what happens next is the trickiest part. Opening up without overwhelming the medical system is a tricky prospect. Balancing that with getting back to some sense of normal before winter and the possible surge that comes with it is going to be... Complicated, to say the least.
Going into our third year living with this, and it seems we are just holding our own, and it could still go either way. That's why hearing someone tell me they'd rather their natural immunity take care of their health is so frustrating. It ignores the basic function of immunity.
It could go either way, but they could also see the experience of NSW, and realise that they could open up much quicker. If winter's going to be a problem, then opening up in May next year becomes less likely - case numbers in Australia could easily be rising by that point. Summer's likely to be better. If they poke their nose out in April next year and see things worsening, what do they do? Wait another 6 months until summer?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Thanks for the "backstory", tragic. Yes, a complex issue indeed.
I hope you see this point. That one day we are slamming the Australians who took aboriginal children into care because of their dire circumstances, and the next we are praising Australians who are dong the same thing but this time it's OK because of Covid.
Both circumstances use the "it's for their own good" argument yet few see that.

Using the Army to achieve those ends worries me a lot.
Interesting perspective from an indigenous Covid positive health care worker in the NT.

Some key excerpts

"To see so much bullshit being shared around, especially by people that have no love for Indigenous people suddenly [jumping] on the 'genocide' bandwagon when it suits them is f***ed," Mr Ellis wrote in a Twitter thread.
"My grandmother was Stolen Generation," he wrote.
"Any comparison to [the] Stolen Generation is spitting on what those poor souls went through in those days."

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There was one lady on Saturday who in great detail explained to the channel 10 reporter that she has evidence of Andrews engaging in satanic Freemason rituals in the tunnels under parliament… she had apparently attended said rituals.

Part of me wants it to be true…
The entertainment value of this would be off the charts

Reactions: dru

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Andrews could solve the budget issues of the nation, by charging rent for the space he's occupying in their heads.
You're not wrong. When he bows out of Victorian politics he's going to need to relocate his family, in my opinion. Sure, the majority are either behind him, politely in disagreement or ambivalent, but there's a feral cohort who would probably attack him in the streets.

If I were him I'd be angling for a cushy trade envoy role in Europe or the US.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You're not wrong. When he bows out of Victorian politics he's going to need to relocate his family, in my opinion. Sure, the majority are either behind him, politely in disagreement or ambivalent, but there's a feral cohort who would probably attack him in the streets.

If I were him I'd be angling for a cushy trade envoy role in Europe or the US.
Yeah even if there’s only 0.0001% of Victorians who’d be mad enough to hurt him that’s still 6 people too many.

can’t imagine the current federal government giving him anything diplomatic tho

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The states have their own gravy train to dish out to insiders and trough dwellers.

Michael Kapel ran Ted Baillieu's office and was sent to San Francisco as the Victorian commissioner to the America's. Might be a bit small fry for someone like Andrews who has had pretty much unfettered power, but the cushy spots are out there.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It's definitely been mooted. By far the most effective premier from a reform perspective. A powerful communicator and an uncanny ability to have shit slide off him. So many scandals in his government from crooked union MPs, none of which lands at his feet.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Up until now I've been solidly behind the NZ Govs Covid response but even I'm shaking my head that we have double-vaxxed people who definitely don't have Covid in MIQ & unvaxxed people who definitely do have it isolating (or not) at home; and can't seem to accept that double-vaxxed Aussies who definitely don't have Covid pose no more risk to us than double-vaxxed Aucklanders who definitely don't have Covid.

Also just when we could use a proper Opposition to call the Gov out on this madness & maybe shame them into doing the decent thing & reversing the MIQ/ home isolation situation & opening the border to Aussies as above, instead they've gone into self-destruct mode & will emerge with their fourth leader (five if the interim guy doesn't get the top job) in under three years. Clownshow doesn't come close & watching various Gov ministers today the glee was obvious (& to be fair understandable).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear...

Aboriginal elders, health organisations and frontline workers in the Northern Territory’s Covid outbreak have lashed out at false information about public health measures on social media, with the NT chief minister blaming the misinformation on “tinfoil hat wearing tossers, sitting in their parents’ basements in Florida”.

Over the past few days false claims have been circulating online that Aboriginal people from Binjari and Rockhole were being forcibly removed from their homes and taken to enforced quarantine in Howard Springs, and people including children were being forcibly vaccinated.

None of these claims are true, according to the Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT), the local Aboriginal health services and community leaders.

On Thursday, the chief minister, Michael Gunner, laid into “conspiracy theorists” online, blaming overseas groups for the misinformation.

“Hello to all the conspiracy theorists overseas watching this. Please get a life,” Gunner told a media briefing on Thursday.

“There are ridiculous, untrue rumours about the ADF’s involvement. As we all know, they aren’t carrying weapons – they are carrying fresh food for people.

“Ninety-nine-point-nine-nine per cent of the BS that is flying around on the internet about the Territory is coming from flogs outside the Territory – mostly America, Canada and the UK, people who have nothing better to do than make up lies about us because their own lives are so small and so sad.

“If anybody thinks that we are going to be distracted or intimidated by tinfoil hat wearing tossers, sitting in their parents’ basements in Florida, then you do not know us Territorians,” he said.

The Jawoyn traditional owners of Binjari and Rockhole said they were “very hurt by the untrue comments being made in the media and social media” about their situation.

“We have been treated with a lot of respect and appreciate all the support being given by these support personnel people. We are in lockdown because we’re in the biggest fight of our lives. We’re trying to keep safe. We’re trying to do the right thing by the community and Katherine,” they said in a statement.

“We don’t need people out there creating another flood for us. We don’t appreciate outside people making comments that are untrue.

“People on social media saying that our people are being mistreated need to realise their comments are hurting the very people they claim to care about. We want people to respect our privacy and show respect for our feelings,” they said.

etc. etc. etc.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ego will prevent it. Why would you go from almost absolute power to towing the party line in Canberra. It will be industry super boards and think tanks for Dan. Maybe a seat on the board with his mates at Linfox.
Does that logic apply to Gladys? Still looks like they’re evaluating if she can have a crack at Warringah

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ego will prevent it. Why would you go from almost absolute power to towing the party line in Canberra. It will be industry super boards and think tanks for Dan. Maybe a seat on the board with his mates at Linfox.

I would have thought ego would have encouraged it. He'd be heading to Canberra because he'd think he was a future PM.

Does that logic apply to Gladys? Still looks like they’re evaluating if she can have a crack at Warringah

I think it was highly likely before the ICAC revelations. In my opinion her political career is over.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sorta on the money there, stoff. In my humble opinion her future path may be somewhat similar to Anna Bligh's, or John Brogden's: lots of political and public service contacts, which may be made for the general good.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Won't happen. ICAC will take forever to hand down its report on Gladys, certainly until after the next federal election which will be May 2022 at the latest. Gladys will be given a severe rap over the knuckles for saying some silly things but I'd be very surprised if any charges follow.

Anna Bligh has set the path for Gladys to follow: a senior position with some industry body requiring a lot of top-level government contacts.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Incoming

Edit: I had read the date it was found wrong. This is actually amazing efficiency in detection and then from detection to global announcement. WHO have, I think, a lot to answer for - but this is fantastic work.

Unusually highly mutated, increased rate of spread, but reports of it rendering vaccines impotent are premature. They are able to detect it as COVID and detect the specific strain. All the old recommendations apply, wash hands, mask, social distancing. And get vaccinated.

Last edited: