• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ari-gold-get-the-fuck-out.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At least this time the judge(s) hearing the inevitable will be looking at the substance of the decision rather than the process by which it was delivered (I'm assuming Hawke has made sure all the t's are crossed & all the i's are dotted). Too many inconsistencies in Novax's story & actions for any other outcome IMO.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can't put my finger on why Novak is so disliked and Rapha and Fed are liked. I know I feel the same but I have no idea why.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At least this time the judge(s) hearing the inevitable will be looking at the substance of the decision rather than the process by which it was delivered (I'm assuming Hawke has made sure all the t's are crossed & all the i's are dotted). Too many inconsistencies in Novax's story & actions for any other outcome IMO.
Be nice if the Ministers statement included his reasons. It was, after all, in the public interest apparently.

I hate it when these fluffybunnys do things 'for our benefit' without further justification.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Be nice if the Ministers statement included his reasons. It was, after all, in the public interest apparently.

I hate it when these fluffybunnys do things 'for our benefit' without further justification.
They really mean that their polling has suggested it will be in their interest to do this, and by default must be in the public's interest. I doubt many politically motivated decisions are in anything other than the interest of the political capital of the governing party. Sadly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's been the general theme from those that have been vaccinated and have since caught it. With the exception of my aunt who had to spend a couple of days in hospital in Dublin for a post-Covid infection (immune system is still off after your Covid negative for a bit apparently) and who had been bedridden during her Covid experience.

Apart from that, I know of a large extended family of anti-vaxxers to saw a wave of infections prior to Christmas. Those who were vaccinated (a minority) seemed to brush it off while a number of the others had a pretty torrid week of feeling very unwell.

A lady I work with is Irish and she said that back home everyone she knows has it or has had it recently. A few days feeling pretty rubbish, but got past it OK. All were vaccinated though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A lady I work with is Irish and she said that back home everyone she knows has it or has had it recently. A few days feeling pretty rubbish, but got past it OK. All were vaccinated though.

Yeah. It seems to be a case of who I know of that hasn't/doesn't currently have it at the moment over there. I had 11 family members recovering from it this time last year and a bunch with it leading into Christmas. And that's only counting my direct aunts, uncles and cousins. In my extended family it's a similar story. All are vaccinated and all with the exception of my aunt have managed it well. And my aunt only went to hospital after she was Covid clear for a related infection as a precaution.

Even my uncle who was the big concern due to having lung issues handled it well. I get conflicting reports from those I know in healthcare here though around severity. Though the theory is most of the sickest tend to be predominately unvaxxed and/or suffering from Delta with pre-existing conditions. But we all know there are outliers. Much like the young bloke last week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On the question of which version of COVID is responsible for most infections/hospitalisations/deaths currently, it seems to me that without Omicron showing up, we (Australia) would just about be virus-free now. Delta was on the wane in most States/Territories and numbers in hospital/ICU and those dying were going down as well. So, my conclusion is that Delta probably plays a miniscule role today and the vast majority of cases, hospital admissions, ICU and deaths probably are attributed to the Omicron strain.

Does anyone actually think Delta has made an unreported comeback under the cover of Omicron that is so virulent? The next conclusion then is that Omicron is responsible for more deaths and serious illness than we've seen previously with any strain.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
On the question of which version of COVID is responsible for most infections/hospitalisations/deaths currently, it seems to me that without Omicron showing up, we (Australia) would just about be virus-free now. Delta was on the wane in most States/Territories and numbers in hospital/ICU and those dying were going down as well. So, my conclusion is that Delta probably plays a miniscule role today and the vast majority of cases, hospital admissions, ICU and deaths probably are attributed to the Omicron strain.

Does anyone actually think Delta has made an unreported comeback under the cover of Omicron that is so virulent? The next conclusion then is that Omicron is responsible for more deaths and serious illness than we've seen previously with any strain.
They have actually reported over recent weeks a few times that Delta strain was accounting for about 70% of ICU admissions in NSW. Given PCR and RAT don't yield that info (Delta v Omicron) it would just be a guess, especially given the likely under-estimation of cases too. However, most public health experts seem to believe that Omicron is indeed making up the vast number of cases overall. A modest amount of Delta cases is significant though.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They have actually reported over recent weeks a few times that Delta strain was accounting for about 70% of ICU admissions in NSW. Given PCR and RAT don't yield that info (Delta v Omicron) it would just be a guess, especially given the likely under-estimation of cases too. However, most public health experts seem to believe that Omicron is indeed making up the vast number of cases overall. A modest amount of Delta cases is significant though.
Do they test for variants in hospitals?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Found the source for vax/unvaxed cases in hospital.
NSW Health COVID-19 Critical Intelligence Unit

As mentioned earlier, raw numbers show more cases of vaxxed individuals in hospital than untaxed. As of Jan. 9, 68.9 percent of COVID-19 patients aged 12 and over in hospitals had two doses of the vaccine, with 28.8 percent unvaccinated BUT unvaccinated individuals appear to be six times more likely to be hospitalised and nearly 13 times more likely to be sent to ICU than those who are fully vaccinated.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
More information from NSW Health, showing that yesterday almost twice as many vaxxed people died with covid than unvaxxed, but that's because 93.8 per cent are double jabbed.

14 January 2022
Across NSW, 95.2 per cent of people aged 16 and over have received a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 93.8 per cent have received two doses to Wednesday 12 January.
Sadly, NSW Health is today reporting the deaths of 29 people with COVID-19; 15 men and 14 women.
Three people were aged in their 40s, five people were aged in their 60s, five people were aged in their 70s, 11 people are in their 80s and five people are in their 90s.
Of the 29 people who died; 19 people were vaccinated against COVID-19 and 10 people were not vaccinated

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Do they test for variants in hospitals?
Samples from hospitalised cases are possibly more likely to get genomic sequencing testing.

In the early stages after Omicron's arrival, NSW were going back through older swabs from PCR tests (from wherever) to try to trace the new variant's spread.

A feasible enough task when covid-19 numbers were low. That sort of testing capacity has since been overwhelmed by the huge surge in cases. So it's now more limited sampling + extrapolations (guesswork).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Novax's appeal to be heard Sunday morning.

Seems like his silk is going to argue that deporting him will trigger the anti-vaxxers. LOL I think they crossed that bridge a while back...

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More information from NSW Health, showing that yesterday almost twice as many vaxxed people died with covid than unvaxxed, but that's because 93.8 per cent are double jabbed.

14 January 2022
Across NSW, 95.2 per cent of people aged 16 and over have received a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 93.8 per cent have received two doses to Wednesday 12 January.
Sadly, NSW Health is today reporting the deaths of 29 people with COVID-19; 15 men and 14 women.
Three people were aged in their 40s, five people were aged in their 60s, five people were aged in their 70s, 11 people are in their 80s and five people are in their 90s.
Of the 29 people who died; 19 people were vaccinated against COVID-19 and 10 people were not vaccinated

That suggests unvaxxed are about eight times more likely to die than vaxxed.

Unvaxxed 34.5% of deaths/ 6.2% of population = 5.56; Vaxxed 65.5% /93.8% = 0.7; 5.56/ 0.7 = 7.94