• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All of NZ moving to the Red traffic light setting at midnight tonight. Similar to the old Level 3 but not quite as restrictive. Gatherings limited to 100 persons whether indoor or outdoor if vaccination passes are being required, 25 if not, so Super Rugby would be able to proceed but without crowds & I'd expect the away team will FIFO on match day.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nope, not news. That knowledge has been around for a very long time.
Amongst very few people I'd imagine.
That knowledge certainly wasn't presented at the daily "scare the bejezus out of the population" press conferences conducted by the state premiers for 18 months. Everywhere I went it was all "How many cases today" with certainly no qualifications.

On a slightly different tack, here's some good covid humour.
1642895287910.png

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To be clear: I'm not just blaming WA for its woes. There is a history of this sort of squandering across the nation and that's where poor outcomes in public policy are achieved. COVID just accelerated the speed and quantity of the shit hitting the fan.

No offence taken, more a reflection of how things are in WA and our boom/bust economy. I often joke that we're all going to be millionaires or we're all going broke, it just depends on the day! It's been that way over here over 150 years.

Good public policy outcomes depend on sustained planning and investment over decades and across political lines. We get it right some times and others not

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting detail on Norman Swan's podcast (ABC) - right at the end. Omicron infection does not give protection against Delta. Vaccines give a better generic protection. Relates to a recent paper out of the UK that is not yet peer reviewed.

He also speculates that the next strain is more likely to be a derivative of Delta rather than Omicron. He relates this based on the history of SARS-2 strain development. I'm struggling with that thinking, myself but it is interesting.

Probably just as well we've got a high proportion of vaccination among our population then!

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting detail on Norman Swan's podcast (ABC) - right at the end. Omicron infection does not give protection against Delta. Vaccines give a better generic protection. Relates to a recent paper out of the UK that is not yet peer reviewed.

He also speculates that the next strain is more likely to be a derivative of Delta rather than Omicron. He relates this based on the history of SARS-2 strain development. I'm struggling with that thinking, myself but it is interesting.

This BA.2 variant seems to be derived from Omicron (BA.1) and seems to be rapidly outcompeting it now in Scandinavia. It could just be similar to BA.1 but it's impacts aren't fully clear yet.

ByUXp0n.jpg

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
This BA.2 variant seems to be derived from Omicron (BA.1) and seems to be rapidly outcompeting it now in Scandinavia. It could just be similar to BA.1 but it's impacts aren't fully clear yet.

ByUXp0n.jpg
This stood out in that report:
According to multiple reports, BA.2 causes mild symptoms.
Here's hoping.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bill Maher has just unloaded against covid policies in the US.
e.g. And what the f*ck is the use of a booster shot? Because I will never get a booster shot.

When you've lost Bill Maher, you've lost control of the narrative.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This thing might be getting out in front of our ability to control it soon. A further 24 cases today and people not getting tested.

Even the new health minister knows the genie is out of the bottle:

“I think it’s clear that we are not going to eliminate Omicron,” she said. “It’s now about how we suppress and manage Omicron.”

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's not what I said, but with 4 million viewers per week and a 20 year track record you may be right.

I was somewhat baffled by the Maher comment (who is Bill Maher?) but I see you are, in this scenario, talking the US scenario. Maher or not, I would have thought the narrative had been under constant attack in the US with plenty of poor pathways pretty much from the start. So heaps of ways to criticise or for rational disagreement.

Nowhere is perfect in the COVID response, certainly not the US (let alone the red States) but you'd do OK focussing on Fauci and WHO.

Bill Maher relevance to Australia is somewhere between "diddlesquat" and "nothing" (with a skew to nothing).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was somewhat baffled by the Maher comment (who is Bill Maher?) but I see you are, in this scenario, talking the US scenario. Maher or not, I would have thought the narrative had been under constant attack in the US with plenty of poor pathways pretty much from the start. So heaps of ways to criticise or for rational disagreement.

Nowhere is perfect in the COVID response, certainly not the US (let alone the red States) but you'd do OK focussing on Fauci and WHO.

Bill Maher relevance to Australia is somewhere between "diddlesquat" and "nothing" (with a skew to nothing).
Hes a comedian/political commentator (more of the latter). Left leaning typically.

A bit like Stuart or Colbert but not, you know, funny.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The US has several of these types of comedian/social commentators. Include John Oliver in that group. They mostly rant at the screen about things they don't like. It's funny sometimes.