• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Troll is it?

Just because I’ve questioned the motives of big pharma who have repeatedly proven a lack, if not a total absence, of ethics when it comes turning a profit and because I’m not convinced how an unvaccinated person puts a massive risk on those who are vaccinated and doing all the other measures.

I can understand making people wear masks, social distance, sanitise etc. Forcing people to inject their body with something that we don’t know the long-term effects of at least 3 times and perhaps on an on-going basis is a complete disregard for bodily autonomy and freedom.

No-one here can deny that at least 2 of these companies are making HUGE profits off of this. Selling vaccines that public money has helped develop and make. We have companies like Harvey Norman who have made massive profits while also taking $6million in public money.

Apparently we can ask everyone to take the vaccine for the ‘greater good’ (which in many respects is just about the economy) but we can’t ask these people and these companies who have benefited exorbitantly from a pandemic to pay more in taxes for the same cause.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Last one out, turn the lights off.

Seriously - it is like that time I was at the opening game of RWC2003, and the old guy behind me said "The Argies must have paid the ref!" at the first penalty against us. We laughed politely, so he kept doing it. All. Fucking. Game.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A powerful statement from Deputy President Dean of the Fair Work Commission, who has come out strongly against mandatory Covid vaccinations, is here.
TL;DR - "a democratic approach to addressing vaccine hesitancy, and therefore increasing voluntary vaccination uptake, lies in better education."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A powerful statement from Deputy President Dean of the Fair Work Commission, who has come out strongly against mandatory Covid vaccinations, is here.
TL;DR - "a democratic approach to addressing vaccine hesitancy, and therefore increasing voluntary vaccination uptake, lies in better education."

I'm all for improving education so more people make better decisions but ultimately we're heading towards a vaccination rate of over 90% so we are talking about a small minority here.

I feel like the information and education is pretty good though. As they say, you can lead a horse to water but... you can't necessary stop them taking horse paste.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm all for improving education so more people make better decisions but ultimately we're heading towards a vaccination rate of over 90% so we are talking about a small minority here.

I feel like the information and education is pretty good though. As they say, you can lead a horse to water but... you can't necessary stop them taking horse paste.
If we hit 90% do we really need to mandate it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we hit 90% do we really need to mandate it?

It is going to be in certain industries and I think that is fine.

Unvaccinated people pose an unreasonable risk to your staff and business operations.

It seems incredibly likely for airline workers, healthcare workers and childcare workers at the very least.

I don't see why it shouldn't be for police officers (which is becoming a drama in Queensland). They deal with a lot of different people often in close contact situations so it makes sense for the safety of them and the population that they are vaccinated.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Won't it just be private companies doing it? My firm has already said you can't come into the office if you're not vaxxed. It's in their interest to not have a healthy work force. I imagine that all the booster shots will be paid for by employers, like the flu.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Won't it just be private companies doing it? My firm has already said you can't come into the office if you're not vaxxed. It's in their interest to not have a healthy work force. I imagine that all the booster shots will be paid for by employers, like the flu.
Are you allowed to discriminate based on medical status as an employer? I've read some speculation it isn't a prohibited form of discrimination but I'm not really convinced.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
My work had a vote, and the overwhelming majority (94%?) voted for mandatory vaccinations for staff...........
While I'm definitely pro-vax, I don't think employers will be able to mandate vaccination on the basis of wanting a healthier workforce, or because people don't want to share offices with unvaccinated people. I don't think employers will even be able to ask about vacc status, except in those high-risk workforces, where the gov't has mandated it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I'm definitely pro-vax, I don't think employers will be able to mandate vaccination on the basis of wanting a healthier workforce, or because people don't want to share offices with unvaccinated people. I don't think employers will even be able to ask about vacc status, except in those high-risk workforces, where the gov't has mandated it.

The Vic government has taken the decision out of their hands anyway, announcing today that all authorised workers must be vaccinated to continue working outside of home...........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is going to be in certain industries and I think that is fine.

Unvaccinated people pose an unreasonable risk to your staff and business operations.

It seems incredibly likely for airline workers, healthcare workers and childcare workers at the very least.

I don't see why it shouldn't be for police officers (which is becoming a drama in Queensland). They deal with a lot of different people often in close contact situations so it makes sense for the safety of them and the population that they are vaccinated.
Not according to Dean from the Fair Work Commission. If his opinion gathers any purchase in the debate, mandatory vaccines in the workplace will not occur.
He explicitly states that
Safe Work Australia has publicly stated that “most employers will not need to make vaccinations mandatory to meet their [health and safety] obligations”.
Mandatory COVID vaccinations, however, cannot be justified in almost every workplace in Australia.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are you allowed to discriminate based on medical status as an employer? I've read some speculation it isn't a prohibited form of discrimination but I'm not really convinced.

Would hardly be an issue if someone tried to turn up to work with ebola.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On what basis? There's very little state governments can't do unless there is overriding Federal legislation/constitutional issues.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but if the above is the case how do we not have mandatory vaccination across the board? Does Victoria have legislation that mandates any of this? Genuine question, not being a smart arse.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would hardly be an issue if someone tried to turn up to work with ebola.
A strawman argument.
Ebola is a disease. Turning up to work with a disease will see you sent home.
No jab - no work refers to the "preventative" vaccine, not the disease of Covid.
To compare like with like, you would be advocating workplace discrimination against all those who refuse to be vaccinated against Ebola.
Or you could compare Covid to influenza.
In Australia in 2019 there were over 300,000 cases of influenza, approximately 4000 hospitalisations and over 800 deaths. There were no restrictions or lockdowns.