• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hopefully it's a temporary suspension of norms. There are extraordinary circumstances at the moment, but yes, I see how coercion is troubling.

For me I still fall on the balance of public health but can appreciate how some are violently against mandates.
Yeah, it has been interesting to watch the Vic protests that were kicked off by requiring the tradies to be vaccinated or lose their jobs ........... and their union accepting it

Quite different to the US where the unions have marked out the right to choose (California is requiring all school kids to be vaccinated, but not the teachers)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is it too much of a simple question to ask why it’s any different from Mandatory MMR vaccinations for kindergarten?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kindergarten kids aren't at risk of covid?

And we oldies, who need protection, have it

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I mean the principle, if we’re okay having “no jab no play” for kids to protect Australia (and it’s been immensely successful). Why aren’t we okay with the same principal for Covid?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Vaccination is mandatory in hospitals and public aged care in Victoria, introduced in March 2020 (ie before this shitfest kicked off). I think the alarm is coming from sectors who have previously not had to think about vaccinations for a long time, and certainly not had their employment linked to them.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I mean the principle, if we’re okay having “no jab no play” for kids to protect Australia (and it’s been immensely successful). Why aren’t we okay with the same principal for Covid?
That policy was effective in entrenching a minority fringe; similar covid policies will expand that group.

I'm in favour of mandates but it will be interesting to watch the long-term impacts of this, e.g. the ability of fringe senate candidates at the 2022 election to game the system.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

But they still transmit it.

We still need to take steps to stem transmission. Vaccination doesn't provide complete immunity or protection and the aim is what it was at the start - to minimise concurrent hospitalisations.

Its just that with a broad base of vaccinations its no longer necessary to employ the more heavy handed restrictions to manage hospital load.

Or something like that?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I principal I would prefer a world with less coercion, at the moment we use “no jab no play”, how far do we take it?

How far do we take exclusion for the good of society?

Would you be happy to see those who refuse tied down and forcefully injected? or just locked out of society until they do?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, it has been interesting to watch the Vic protests that were kicked off by requiring the tradies to be vaccinated or lose their jobs ........... and their union accepting it

Quite different to the US where the unions have marked out the right to choose (California is requiring all school kids to be vaccinated, but not the teachers)

The CFMEU were actually against mandatory jabs...........

Also, from the Age:

......... while the CFMEU construction division is publicly regarded as a militant left-wing union, over the past 15 years its politics and practices have morphed.

Many are, in fact, fiercely anti-communist and right-wing, with their families having fled Tito’s Yugoslavia. One Setka supporter attended a stewards’ meeting last year with a sticker on his car of a Croatian army division which fought alongside the Nazis in the 1940s.

And among these groups, anti-vax sentiment is rife.

But the protests following that initial gathering* have been orchestrated and attended by the usual gang of anti-vaxxer, anti-lockdown, right wing, neo-nazi, "fake news" shouty, Qanon, agitator fruitcake thugs who have been stirring up trouble for a year now, and all deserve to be hosed down by water cannons filled with capsicum spray...

That applies to anyone who seeks to legitimise the so-called protest fluffers disguised as "independent media" in Rukshan, or former neo-nazi buddy and wife beater Avi Yemini.........

Live streaming a protest you're attending is not journalism.

*It should be noted that among the CFMEU protesters on that first day, there were many of the serial protesters already in attendance - one young lady I recognised is always on the front line.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is interesting that the CMFU didn't come out against this and instead just rolled over, despite being such a tough union

That applies to anyone who seeks to legitimise the so-called protest fluffers disguised as "independent media" in Rukshan, or former neo-nazi buddy and wife beater Avi Yemini.........

Live streaming a protest you're attending is not journalism.

Live streaming a protest is "reporting" on the protest which is the essence of journalism, you may not like the outcome but we can't choose, or decide, who does the reporting - that equates to censorship

And really being an activist journalist (not a reporter) is an unfortunate part of being journalist these days that their various twitter accounts demonstrate

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yemeni and Rukshan are certainly providing a different perspective to that provided by the MSM.
I imagine a long livestream of a protest that goes for several hours has the potential to deliver a different narrative than the 30 second clips chosen by MSM editors.
The amount of police intimidation against them means they are over their target.

For a good laugh, look for the Ozzie Cossack on YouTube. His running battles with NSW plod are quite amusing.

(PS "wife beater"? A matter in dispute.)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is interesting that the CMFU didn't come out against this and instead just rolled over, despite being such a tough union

Live streaming a protest is "reporting" on the protest which is the essence of journalism, you may not like the outcome but we can't choose, or decide, who does the reporting - that equates to censorship

And really being an activist journalist (not a reporter) is an unfortunate part of being journalist these days that their various twitter accounts demonstrate

They're active participants/organisers who live stream the protests as a means of promoting them......... they are not independent observers.

That is not independent journalism.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I generally agree but it's not like we are swimming in a see of impartial journalism at the moment.

I'm not going to be the first one to praise the work of mainstream network news services, but these guys are definitely not the alternative.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The amount of police intimidation against them means they are over their target.

Yeah, nah...........

The vast majority of the intimidation, abuse, and assaults being committed are by these whack jobs towards real journalists, cameramen and photographers trying to do their jobs.

It's ridiculous that it's become so dangerous for the media to go out and report on these thugs, and I've had way too many friends and colleagues assaulted by these scumbags in recent weeks.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Another non-COVID post but feel this needs to be said:
Yemeni and Rukshan are certainly providing a different perspective to that provided by the MSM.

Yemeni only goes along to protests as a "legitimate journalist" without the legitimate clearances to try and get arrested; it is the only source of his income he has i.e. "I need money to fight legal battles that I pick in the first place - pweeeeeeze help me, mindless dweebs!"

So at least he's on-point with the business model of most websites like the gutter-shite Rebel "News" Network - which is nothing but a pile of RWNJ excrement trying to fleece idiots of money. He's found his happy place i.e. money for nothing.

(PS "wife beater"? A matter in dispute.)

It really isn't:

He actually admitted doing it in court and was fined appropriately.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's ridiculous that it's become so dangerous for the media to go out and report on these thugs, and I've had way too many friends and colleagues assaulted by these scumbags in recent weeks.

It sucks. Yeah sure the media are basically racing to the bottom for clicks some days, but that is no reason to assault them.

It is a symbiotic relationship in a way - they want to report the protests and the protestors want the publicity. But I can't help but think news chiefs would be better off just saying "nah, let's not legitimise them". Never going to happen.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just wonder what right wing cause will be next for Avi when we come out of lockdown………..
Going back to “men’s rights?”
Holding hands with neo-Nazis to protest mosques?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It sucks. Yeah sure the media are basically racing to the bottom for clicks some days, but that is no reason to assault them.

It is a symbiotic relationship in a way - they want to report the protests and the protestors want the publicity. But I can't help but think news chiefs would be better off just saying "nah, let's not legitimise them". Never going to happen.
It makes great pictures, and Channel 7’s Paul Dowsley can take a punch.