• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Re: McGowan, it doesn't take that long for the electorate to turn. A good example is Campbell Newman in Qld reducing Labor to three seats in parliament, but suffering an equally massive swing and losing the next election. Shit could turn nasty if the uptake of vaccine continues to stagnate.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Re: McGowan, it doesn't take that long for the electorate to turn. A good example is Campbell Newman in Qld reducing Labor to three seats in parliament, but suffering an equally massive swing and losing the next election. Shit could turn nasty if the uptake of vaccine continues to stagnate.

My thoughts exactly. The comparison is apposite.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vaccination rates seem to be stalling here, too: after a slowish start we've gotten to 50% fully-vaccinated reasonably quickly but the total number with "at least one dose" isn't keeping track suggesting pretty much everyone who intends to get jabbed has done something about it & the remaining 15-20% who've done nothing to date don't intend to. Not sure that'll change even if they start getting sick in large numbers, there seems to be a fair bit of overlap with those in the "everything's in God's hands" camp.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
My teens inform me that Sydney numbers are back down in the 600s but I pointed out testing rates would have gone to shit over the long weekend.

They actually tested over 250,000 people over the long weekend in NSW. Seem to have done a pretty good job of things after the initial slow reaction to the outbreak.
There’s a pretty good site to keep track of all things COVID including vaccination rates and testing if anyone’s interested

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The new Premier of NSW has an excellent viewpoint:
“I want to premier of a state that is open and free, it’s not the role of the government to provide those freedoms, it’s in our innate nature as people born in our free country and we need to open up as safely as possible.
“We’ve invested in the health system, case numbers will go up but I’m incredibly confident that our health system is strong and ultimately we can’t just, every time the cases increase over time, close our state down, we need to be open we need to be free.”

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My sense of it is we have roughly two cohorts in WA: people who are all "fuck off we're full, keep everyone out of WA" and those like myself and most of the people I know who are "damnit, we want to get out and see the world, reunite with our families etc".

So basically WA is the America of Australia? ;)

The God-Emperor McGowan, Arch-Potentate of The Peoples Republic Of Westralia, knows he can say and do what he wants for the next year at least. He loves to talk up the mineral wealth of WA but won't apparently use it for anything like public health, as you say. Your cynicism is probably warranted, given that the ALP these days are almost as LNP as the LNP are.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think in the main he's correct, particularly now that these new strains seem to run out ahead of containment measures.

The point you made about the WA health system is equally applicable here tho - several hospitals in Sydney are under significant strain and have been for weeks due to COVID case load.

You'd hope the vaccination rate here holds off the need for extended stays but nothing is guaranteed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The God-Emperor McGowan, Arch-Potentate of The Peoples Republic Of Westralia, knows he can say and do what he wants for the next year at least. He loves to talk up the mineral wealth of WA but won't apparently use it for anything like public health, as you say. Your cynicism is probably warranted, given that the ALP these days are almost as LNP as the LNP are.

They have been for most of the last 40 years

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I've been messaging all my Sydney mates asking them what they're gonna do first on Monday, in some weird self-flagellation trying to live vicariously through them.

Good work Sydney, you've done it, hope everyone on here goes to the gym or the hairdresser or sinks a few at the pub or whatever you've been dreaming of for 3 months.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've been messaging all my Sydney mates asking them what they're gonna do first on Monday, in some weird self-flagellation trying to live vicariously through them.

Good work Sydney, you've done it, hope everyone on here goes to the gym or the hairdresser or sinks a few at the pub or whatever you've been dreaming of for 3 months.
My gym has provide their process (as I need to provide vacs status), haircut booked and restaurants have already been lined up

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Heh, our last two premiers (Barnett and McGowan) have been referred to as "Emperor". There is a mutiny bubbling up among the medical profession (doctors, nurses, allied health folks) here in the West and every punter in the state is wondering how his health minister has kept his job. Problem is, even with the extra $5B from the mining royalties there are no quick fixes to adding the needed hospital beds. There is at least one new public hospital needed and they don't come cheaply or quickly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Further to my remarks about empty vaccination centres: Clay Golledge, who is a pretty senior infectious diseases expert, reckons there are about 10,000 vax appointments going begging at the moment. Doesn't that just say everything.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Not sure why WA citizens should be too worried about creaking public hospitals when they've got that super shiny Optus Stadium to be proud of!

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Here comes the booster recommendation. Just waiting for enough supply to ensure everyone has had the opportunity to be double vaxed first

“Coronavirus vaccine booster shots will be made available to people who have severely weakened immune systems after the government’s vaccine advisers approved the doses for a group of about 500,000 people.
Health Minister Greg Hunt also announced on Friday that the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation would provide advice before the end of October on whether boosters are required for the general population.”

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not according to Dean from the Fair Work Commission.....He explicitly states that
Safe Work Australia has publicly stated that “most employers will not need to make vaccinations mandatory to meet their [health and safety] obligations”.
Mandatory COVID vaccinations, however, cannot be justified in almost every workplace in Australia.
That's Dean's opinion. She was outvoted 2 to 1 in a very important FWC decision re compulsory vaccination or dismissal in April. Read here: https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/de...YB62loO2KedjqSQ42MHHKA7opmb5lSns9rKDlXUyw_dP8

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....Covid treatments like Ivermectin......One America News Network reports the most populated state in India (Uttar Pradesh, popn 240 million) just declared they are officially COVID free after promoting widespread use of the safe, proven medicine.

FF (Folau Fainga'a), One America News Network as a reputable media source?, God spare me. If you haven't worked out by now it's full of conspiracy theorists and RWNJs, well, I give up. It's on the same level of medical advice as Craig Kelly, Clive Palmer and George Christensen advocating hydroxychloroquine, ie, useless in the current environment.

Rather than Dr OANN's ratbag recommendations, read these:
https://www.hackensackmeridianhealt...3-reasons-not-to-use-ivermectin-for-covid-19/

PS. My wife, although not a doctor, works in one of Sydney's major hospitals with regular advice given to staff about Covid-19 treatments. And constant access to top medicoes whenever she likes.

Last edited: