• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am still trying to get my head around the mask requirements in places where I have to be fully vaccinated to enter and the staff have to be fully vaccinated to work
Isnt it just that you can still transmit it and wearing a mask further reduces the risk of transmission.

I believe opening up is predicated on keeping softer measures that limit transmission (masks, distancing etc) in place.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Isnt it just that you can still transmit it and wearing a mask further reduces the risk of transmission.

I believe opening up is predicated on keeping softer measures that limit transmission (masks, distancing etc) in place.
I appreciate the premise, but the chances of Vaccinated passing it to Vaccinated are bugger all

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Should Perrottet have kept his powder dry, seen how the next week-or-so pans out, and not given Palaszczuk more ammo to keep the borders closed?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should Perrottet have kept his powder dry, seen how the next week-or-so pans out, and not given Palaszczuk more ammo to keep the borders closed?

There's zero chance she's going to open borders to NSW, Victoria or the ACT anytime soon. I'm not sure what the point of waiting would be.

Qld, WA, SA, Tas etc. are either going to need to have an outbreak they can't contain or abandon COVID zero which probably wouldn't be politically popular locally.

They've created a situation where it is really hard to change the status quo. I almost wonder whether they are secretly hoping for an outbreak at some point so the decision is made for them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There's zero chance she's going to open borders to NSW, Victoria or the ACT anytime soon. I'm not sure what the point of waiting would be.

Qld, WA, SA, Tas etc. are either going to need to have an outbreak they can't contain or abandon COVID zero which probably wouldn't be politically popular locally.

They've created a situation where it is really hard to change the status quo. I almost wonder whether they are secretly hoping for an outbreak at some point so the decision is made for them.
It took a bit of threat to get NSW of our arses

a bit of trivia from the tweeter on the latest outbreaks

NSW cases peaked @ 1603 on 10/9 (day 87 of NSW outbreak) & have steadily dropped since. On 10/9 they had 1st dose 77.3% & 2nd dose 44.5%.

VIC hit peak 1838 on 8/10 (day 66 of VIC outbreak) with 1st dose 84.1% & 2nd dose 55.6%. Vax rates were higher at each stage of Vic outbreak

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That also wasn't their peak. Hopefully the 2200s are as high as it goes.

For all the criticism of NSW's lockdown not being harsh enough to control cases, it seems like exhaustion with restrictions is a driving force behind Victoria's outbreak being worse again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You can't make this up :rolleyes:

"Queensland to reconsider border settings after New South Wales’ sudden announcement of quarantine-free travel"

and Victoria are still building their internment camp
My Foley on Friday confirmed the state had plans to build the Mickleham quarantine facility.

He said the facility, delivered in partnership with the commonwealth, would be needed for “quite some time”.

Last edited:

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
That also wasn't their peak. Hopefully the 2200s are as high as it goes.

For all the criticism of NSW's lockdown not being harsh enough to control cases, it seems like exhaustion with restrictions is a driving force behind Victoria's outbreak being worse again.
On top of that, NSW's outbreak came from one source. Vic's came from at least a few, which makes public health whack-a-mole that much harder.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also like, surely we can accept that Melbourne as a cold, miserable, windy ass city is so much more prone to spreading it than warmer climates. Instead of visiting my friends at the beach or in the sun for a picnic, I went to a mate’s place (arrest me) because it was cold out. As did hundreds of thousands of others. We’re just inside more :(

surely that’s the reason why it can’t fucking spread in QLD at all. You’ve got a bloody outbreak weekly, with multiple people infected and nãda. It takes one person to mention the word Covid in Vic, and we’re locked down for ever. You could have Queenslanders with Covid spitting into each other’s mouths and it still wouldn’t spread.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You can't make this up :rolleyes:

"Queensland to reconsider border settings after New South Wales’ sudden announcement of quarantine-free travel"

and Victoria are still building their internment camp
Internment camps should have been built by the federal government 18 months ago.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Internment camps should have been built by the federal government 18 months ago.
We get to disagree there, using hotels was a smart decision IMHO, the errors have been human and we will never know if the the camps would have been any better.
And as Gladys said they had 1,000s of support staff running the thing, they can't be easily moved

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We get to disagree there, using hotels was a smart decision IMHO, the errors have been human and we will never know if the the camps would have been any better.
And as Gladys said they had 1,000s of support staff running the thing, they can't be easily moved
Hasn’t there been 0 leaks at Howard Springs? Whereas I think the stats for HQ was every 40th positive case causes a leak.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hasn’t there been 0 leaks at Howard Springs? Whereas I think the stats for HQ was every 40th positive case causes a leak.

Sure, but look at the number of people who went through there relative to everywhere else.

Howard Springs could cater for about 1,000 arrivals a week and NSW was doing 6,000 on its own.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

All the commentary I've seen from the various State leaders is that they're expecting further outbreaks after coming out of lockdown. Even the AMA and some individual medicos are anticipating the demand for hospital services will exceed the capacity in NSW. It seems that any new outbreaks are more likely to occur in NSW and Vic than in Qld, SA, WA or Tas. Unfortunately, where NSW goes, the ACT is likely to follow.

Containment, otoh, will apparently be measured by the numbers requiring hospitalisation and severity will be related to the numbers of deaths, probably. I think it remains to be seen just how effective double dose vaccination is, but if it measurably affects the numbers requiring hospital care and reduces the death rate, then other States might be encouraged to follow the NSW/Vic leads. But if numbers don't improve, in NSW and Vic then there will be quite a few pollies looking for new jobs in both States.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure, but look at the number of people who went through there relative to everywhere else.

Howard Springs could cater for about 1,000 arrivals a week and NSW was doing 6,000 on its own.
I had a friend who went to Howard Springs and obviously my partner in hotel quarantine and based on their experiences Howard Springs was far more humane.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had a friend who went to Howard Springs and obviously my partner in hotel quarantine and based on their experiences Howard Springs was far more humane.

Sure, but the reality is we would have needed 12 Howard Springs to deal with the number of arrivals at most points (and that number was still pitifully low).

Then deal with staffing those in remote/regional areas and the risks associated with moving those workers in and out etc.

In hindsight we almost certainly should have built quarantine facilities straight away. Now, Queensland and Victoria seem to be pushing ahead with building them and I guarantee they will see limited quarantining of COVID arrivals and will ultimately get repurposed into something pretty unsavoury like a juvenile detention centre or a low security prison.

The concept that we will still be quarantining people en masse next year is crazy. Everywhere is moving on.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure, but the reality is we would have needed 12 Howard Springs to deal with the number of arrivals at most points (and that number was still pitifully low).

Then deal with staffing those in remote/regional areas and the risks associated with moving those workers in and out etc.

In hindsight we almost certainly should have built quarantine facilities straight away. Now, Queensland and Victoria seem to be pushing ahead with building them and I guarantee they will see limited quarantining of COVID arrivals and will ultimately get repurposed into something pretty unsavoury like a juvenile detention centre or a low security prison.

The concept that we will still be quarantining people en masse next year is crazy. Everywhere is moving on.
Yeah I said it should have been done 18 months ago, though.