• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Derpus, I was trying to highlight the inconsistency of covid restrictions brought in by governments.
They want to stop unvaccinated people from mixing in society because they might spread the virus. But vaccinated people can also spread the virus. Perhaps to a lesser extent.
So I'd like to see a Dan Andrews type say the truth - that whilst both groups spread the virus, there is publicly available health advice which quantifies the degree of difference of "spreadability" between the two groups and that is why the unvaccinated are going to be segregated from the rest of society.

Obviously I'm against health segregation.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The pub rules are quite baffling

Picture sitting on stools in a loud happy pub (Dove and Olive), but to stand up and buy a beer, whack your mask on because it appears the latest variant is only dangerous to those 5ft high or taller
There is actually a rationale believe it or not.
Wearing a mask does little to stop you catching COVID unless it’s a N95/P2 mask and you make sure it’s fully sealed (as per all the nursing photos with grooves on their faces after a shift)
You’re mainly wearing it to reduce the risk of minimally symptomatic positive cases unknowingly infecting others. It reduces the risk of you aerosolising COVID as you breathe/talk/cough and infecting multiple others.
So if you have COVID you are less likely to infect everyone you walk past in a crowded pub enroute to the bar if you wear a mask.
You’re likely to infect your table anyway given the prolonged close contact and the fact that no one wears their mask fully sealed and uses correct donning/doffing technique (it’s actually quite a complicated process)
So the irresponsible f@#kers who refuse to wear a mask are still being protected by everyone else doing the right thing but in turn are putting them at risk.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus, I was trying to highlight the inconsistency of covid restrictions brought in by governments.
They want to stop unvaccinated people from mixing in society because they might spread the virus. But vaccinated people can also spread the virus. Perhaps to a lesser extent.
So I'd like to see a Dan Andrews type say the truth - that whilst both groups spread the virus, there is publicly available health advice which quantifies the degree of difference of "spreadability" between the two groups and that is why the unvaccinated are going to be segregated from the rest of society.

There is no inconsistency.

I'm pretty sure they are already saying this but to be honest I couldn't point you to where, and I can't be arsed looking.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree with Tex that plenty of the people who are going to get hurt by this are those who have gone down a rabbit hole of misinformation but I likewise don't think that outweighs the need to make vaccinations in certain industries mandatory.
"Certain industries" is the top of the slippery slope. Get ready for the bottom to be "all industries".
The ABC is reporting

Mandatory vaccination to be introduced for most WA workers, Mark McGowan says.​

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

They want stop unvaccinated people mixing in society to stop them catching the virus. This is to lower the percentage of the hospital system dedicated to covid patients.
Dan Andrews is one type who has been quite forthright on this. The mainstream media, particularly the non-Murdoch part, do explain this to their readers and viewers. Media who use terms like health segregation or apartheid likely do not.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
"Certain industries" is the top of the slippery slope. Get ready for the bottom to be "all industries".
The ABC is reporting

Mandatory vaccination to be introduced for most WA workers, Mark McGowan says.​

It already is down here if you want to work from anywhere apart from home. We also have been forced to vaccinate our children to send them to childcare for the past four or five years now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nobody is holding down and injecting anyone.

You're simply not qualified to work at a certain place if you don't meet certain medical requirements or have the appropriate exemption. Just like you can't enter certain countries without being vaccinated. I think of it as a white card for site safety.

Honestly, are the people getting shrill about their freedoms or rights going to sue their parents for getting them the MMR as a child and NOT dying of measles?

I go back to my original Benevolent-Dictator-For-Life stance: anyone who holds suspicions of the science behind vaccines - being worried about accepting responsibility like an adult - should be given smallpox.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nobody is holding down and injecting anyone.

You're simply not qualified to work at a certain place if you don't meet certain medical requirements or have the appropriate exemption. Just like you can't enter certain countries without being vaccinated. I think of it as a white card for site safety.

Honestly, are the people getting shrill about their freedoms or rights going to sue their parents for getting them the MMR as a child and NOT dying of measles?

I go back to my original Benevolent-Dictator-For-Life stance: anyone who holds suspicions of the science behind vaccines - being worried about accepting responsibility like an adult - should be given smallpox.
You should watch Bill Burr’s bit about being a benevolent dictator if you haven’t, quality stuff

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I recently came across the Oxford University QCovid risk calculator.
Inconceivable that this sort of education hasn't been spread far and wide in Australia to help people make their own decisions about getting vaccinated.
Given that most Covid deaths happen to the elderly, overweight, comorbidity cohort, perhaps even governments would see the inefficiency of vaccinating everyone of all ages and those at most risk would choose to get jabbed.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It already is down here if you want to work from anywhere apart from home. We also have been forced to vaccinate our children to send them to childcare for the past four or five years now.
I would argue that the kids' vaxes are the result of long term testing and analysis. Whereas the Covid vax is only provisionally approved and is being mandated despite zero long term analysis.
There are significant differences between the two groups of vaccines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given that most Covid deaths happen to the elderly, overweight, comorbidity cohort, perhaps even governments would see the inefficiency of vaccinating everyone of all ages and those at most risk would choose to get jabbed.

That is why those most at risk got vaccinated first.

Overall risk is massively linked to the total number of cases in the population though because of the Reff number of how a contagious disease spreads.

This is the concept of herd immunity. You need a large proportion of a population to have immunity to something to stop it spreading freely through the population. The risk to everyone, vaccinated or not goes down massively the lower the case numbers are and that is most driven by vaccination.

I would argue that the kids' vaxes are the result of long term testing and analysis. Whereas the Covid vax is only provisionally approved and is being mandated despite zero long term analysis.

That is not the case anymore.

I also think if you go back through the history of various vaccines, they were introduced as soon as they were ready because they were preventing significant numbers of deaths.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fixed. Because science.
There is no inconsistency.

I'm pretty sure they are already saying this but to be honest I couldn't point you to where, and I can't be arsed looking.
I came across this today.
It estimated the risk of infection is slashed by approximately 67 per cent in people given two doses of Pfizer or AstraZeneca's jabs. (today's Daily Mail Australia).
It was part of an article raising the results of a British research study by the Office for National Statistics showing that recovering from Covid offers just as good protection as getting two doses of any vaccine.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It estimated the risk of infection is slashed by approximately 67 per cent in people given two doses of Pfizer or AstraZeneca's jabs. (today's Daily Mail Australia).
It was part of an article raising the results of a British research study by the Office for National Statistics showing that recovering from Covid offers just as good protection as getting two doses of any vaccine.
Daily Mail? FFS

Is this you?

1634781357817.png

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I get the flu jab each year because I don't want to catch the flu.

I got the covid jab this year because I don't want to catch covid.

@formerflanker are you vaccinated? If you are, what influenced your decision to get vaccinated? If you are unsure if you'll get vaccinated, how are you weighing up your options? If you don't intend to get vaccinated, how are you planning to navigate the various social blocks you'll be facing (like going to live events, travelling, participating in some work places)?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
(today's Daily Mail Australia).

Shocked, I am not.

And those people who now suffer the effects of Long Covid will surely be cheering that they didn't subject themselves to the rigours of the vaccine :rolleyes:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Shocked, I am not.

And those people who now suffer the effects of Long Covid will surely be cheering that they didn't subject themselves to the rigours of the vaccine :rolleyes:
My family members in Ireland who caught Covid and in the case of my uncle have actually had long Covid to the point my aunt thought he may have been in the early stages of dementia were so grateful for the experience that they all got vaccinated as soon as they could.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That article uses interesting language - the headline says "mandate" i.e. forced to from authorities.

But the language of the 3 companies (Aldi included) is "requirement" i.e. asked to in order to meet the prerequisites for employment.

Lawyers will no doubt have a field day.