• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
should alert you to the possibility that "the science" and our political masters don't really know what they are doing.

"Science" is a method. Testing, analysing and revising the answers repeatedly—by definition—means the medical advice evolves and changes.

What are the alternatives?

If you need answers set in stone then perhaps Exodus 20:2-17 is your speed. Or maybe something that is "Gospel" with the added bonus of being literally good news?

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You have forgotten that vaccinated people can still catch and spread covid.
Now we are being told that vaccine effectiveness wanes with time and booster shots will be required. That's new to most of us and should alert you to the possibility that "the science" and our political masters don't really know what they are doing.

Yeah, nah...

AgeDiseaseVaccine brand
Childhood vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
BirthHepatitis B (usually offered in hospital)aH-B-Vax® II Paediatric or Engerix B® Paediatric
2 months (can be given from 6 weeks of age)Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
RotavirusbRotarix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
4 monthsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
RotavirusbRotarix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
6 monthsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
Additional dose for children with specified medical risk conditionscPneumococcalPrevenar 13®
12 monthsMeningococcal ACWYNimenrix®
Measles, mumps, rubellaM-M-R® II or Priorix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
18 monthsHaemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)ActHIB®
Measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox (varicella)Priorix-Tetra® or ProQuad®
Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)Infanrix® or Tripacel®
4 yearsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polioInfanrix® IPV or Quadracel®
Additional dose for children with specified medical risk conditionscPneumococcalPneumovax 23®
Adolescent vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
12–13 years (school programs)eHuman papillomavirus (HPV)fGardasil®9
Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)Boostrix®
14–16 years (school programs)eMeningococcal ACWYNimenrix®
Adult vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
70 years and overPneumococcalPrevenar 13®
70–79 yearsgShingles (herpes zoster)Zostavax®
Pregnant womenPertussis (whooping cough)hBoostrix® or Adacel®
Funded annual influenza vaccinationi
Children 6 months to less than 5 years of age
People 6 months and over with specified medical risk conditions
People 65 years and over
Pregnant women

Also...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, nah...

AgeDiseaseVaccine brand
Childhood vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
BirthHepatitis B (usually offered in hospital)aH-B-Vax® II Paediatric or Engerix B® Paediatric
2 months (can be given from 6 weeks of age)Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
RotavirusbRotarix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
4 monthsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
RotavirusbRotarix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
6 monthsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)Infanrix® hexa
Additional dose for children with specified medical risk conditionscPneumococcalPrevenar 13®
12 monthsMeningococcal ACWYNimenrix®
Measles, mumps, rubellaM-M-R® II or Priorix®
PneumococcalPrevenar 13®
18 monthsHaemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)ActHIB®
Measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox (varicella)Priorix-Tetra® or ProQuad®
Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)Infanrix® or Tripacel®
4 yearsDiphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polioInfanrix® IPV or Quadracel®
Additional dose for children with specified medical risk conditionscPneumococcalPneumovax 23®
Adolescent vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
12–13 years (school programs)eHuman papillomavirus (HPV)fGardasil®9
Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)Boostrix®
14–16 years (school programs)eMeningococcal ACWYNimenrix®
Adult vaccination (also see influenza vaccine)
70 years and overPneumococcalPrevenar 13®
70–79 yearsgShingles (herpes zoster)Zostavax®
Pregnant womenPertussis (whooping cough)hBoostrix® or Adacel®
Funded annual influenza vaccinationi
Children 6 months to less than 5 years of age
People 6 months and over with specified medical risk conditions
People 65 years and over
Pregnant women

Also...

I always wonder if I've missed one of these

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now we are being told that vaccine effectiveness wanes with time and booster shots will be required. That's new to most of us and should alert you to the possibility that "the science" and our political masters don't really know what they are doing.

1636056102629.png

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I wasnt going to bite again, but seeing the vaccination list that Slim posted, and particularly pneumococcal on that list, has set me off.

Vaccine mandates are to protect us from morons who believe their rights dont come with responsibilities to the rest of us. In Victoria and probably in NSW, the ICUs are under real stress right now. The majority in their are un-vaccinated people. This also applies to wards, ambulances and is impacting everything from minor elective surgery to cancer treatments.

I have mentioned a few times previously that I have had the misfortune in 2019 to see my then 4yo daughter in paedeatric ICU with Pneumococcal Meningitis (from a non-vaccinated strain) leading to sepsis, renal failure and what turned out to be thankfully a minor brain injury. The infection was picked up relatively quickly and she was in ICU within around 24 hours of becoming unwell, although that was only because we fought against her being sent home from the ER earlier in the day. This still involved the emergency button being hit in the hospital, seeing a doctor who gave the diagnosis crying in front of us, an urgent evacuation to the Monash Childrens, a night of not knowing whether our little girl would get through the night, seeing her in an induced coma for close to a week, a ICU consultant with poor bedside manner leaving us thinking she would never recover, waiting and hoping for a small drop of urine to come out of her catheter to show her kidneys were working, her continually trying to rip out her vascular catheter once she came out of the coma, her distress during dialysis sessions, the weeks of trauma and pain for her and for us. Lucky for us it was 2019. In a covid stressed system she may never have got through the triage at ER and instead of dealing with fatigue relating to her brain injury, we may well be visiting her grave (I hope none of you have ever had to confront that concept as a possible and realistic scenario for your kid - we did on the first night in ICU - it changes you forever).

(Just for absolute clarity FF (Folau Fainga'a) the next paragraph is not a shot at you - you are complaining but have stepped up and got the jab) I guess what I really am saying is that if someone is enough of a selfish little child to bitch and moan about having to be vaccinated to protect more vulnerable members of our society, then they should go and get fucked.

It's actually a bit like rugby right now. If you have your own agenda and are working against the team you are going to get benched for the good of the team.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's actually a bit like rugby right now. If you have your own agenda and are working against the team you are going to get benched for the good of the team.

I did karate for a few years. Some smart arse got a few belts in and thought he'd ask the Sensei if he could fight him for his blackbelt. It was funny to watch him shit himself both figuratively (and probably literally) as the first blow went in.

In plain terms: if you think you know better than people who have spent their entire working lives trying to improve the health and wellbeing of other people, just because some shitrag tabloid or RWNJ website makes you feel special, maybe it is time to re-evaluate your priorities.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It isn't over… until we get boosters into people's arms.
Dan Andrews.

Stand by for mandatory booster shots.
Which, if am correct, are merely more of the same vaccine, not new scientific discoveries designed to counter new variants.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It isn't over… until we get boosters into people's arms.
Dan Andrews.

Stand by for mandatory booster shots.
Which, if am correct, are merely more of the same vaccine, not new scientific discoveries designed to counter new variants.
I fail completely to comprehend your problem with getting a third shot of something you have had twice already. Would you rather get sick and out up with all the long term effects from that?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I'm not stepping in to speak on behalf of FF (Folau Fainga'a), as I disagree with the majority of his posts on COVID, but in his gentle defence, much of his contrarianism is pointed squarely at mandates and their impact on society, which is a pretty interesting topic.

I reckon much of the pissing around on vaccinations stems from the lack of supply, the devolving of choice of vaccine to the individual (and the requirement to assess risk), and the contradictory and inflammatory messaging from politicians and bureaucrats.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
much of his contrarianism is pointed squarely at mandates and their impact on society, which is a pretty interesting topic.

Do we need a legal thread to cover these things? Because we're spinning our wheels on that point about vaccines.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
and the contradictory and inflammatory messaging from politicians and bureaucrats.

Abolish states. We're not big enough anyway.

Obvs we can't leave things in the hands of the Federal government as both sides are about as useful as tits on a duck.

So we are left with two options: retreat into a semi-feudal congolmeration of principalities, or Pfitzy as Benevolent-Dictator-For-Life.

Choose wisely.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I fail completely to comprehend your problem with getting a third shot of something you have had twice already. Would you rather get sick and out up with all the long term effects from that?
After getting told ad nauseam that a double vaxed individual is safe, and 70% of society double jabbed makes the community safe, only to find out that 95% vaxx rate is now the safe level and the double vax is not enough, sure makes inquiring minds ask WTF?
As Israel enters its 4th dose regime and hints at ongoing 6-monthly jabs to keep their vaxx passports current, surely the health advice to get double jabbed is looking very suspect.

To those who support the "science is evolving" meme, think about the number of times the health advice has been wrong and wonder aloud "is the health advice right this time?"

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Abolish states. We're not big enough anyway.

Obvs we can't leave things in the hands of the Federal government as both sides are about as useful as tits on a duck.

So we are left with two options: retreat into a semi-feudal congolmeration of principalities, or Pfitzy as Benevolent-Dictator-For-Life.

Choose wisely.
Fuck no. Abolish the Feds. Everything they touch turns into decaying fecal matter.

States were exemplary in the handling of the pandemic, for the most part.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
After getting told ad nauseam that a double vaxed individual is safe, and 70% of society double jabbed makes the community safe, only to find out that 95% vaxx rate is now the safe level and the double vax is not enough, sure makes inquiring minds ask WTF?
As Israel enters its 4th dose regime and hints at ongoing 6-monthly jabs to keep their vaxx passports current, surely the health advice to get double jabbed is looking very suspect.

To those who support the "science is evolving" meme, think about the number of times the health advice has been wrong and wonder aloud "is the health advice right this time?"
Firstly, science is science what we know is what evolves. The efficacy was always going to wain they just didn't know it, and frankly how could they?
I don't know what you were told but I was told we had to get to 70 then 80% to open up. Haven't read anywhere that that has changed. I've read lots of good news stories about maybe getting to 90% and beyond.
As for mandates I keep hearing my body my choice all the time but it's not just my body is it. It's every person's body I come into contact with. I will insist on my dental hygienist having a shot. And my server, and the nurse at my doctors office, and my barber, and my massage therapist being up to date with their shots.
Just because you're happy to take your chances doesn't mean I'm will to take your chances too.
User pays is not how our society was built and this has been a wake up call for a lot of people.