• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
with near 95% fully vaccinated, this new variant being less dangerous and summer finally starting we should be fine
Cases and hospitalisations trending up, though. I fully expect another panic shutdown or, at the very least, some more closed borders.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Higher transmission.
Lower risk.

This virus is on the way out.

That said, I'm avoiding any mass gatherings where possible, in order to ensure my holidays are at least sans isolation.

Except the isolation I choose, of course.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Higher transmission.
Lower risk.

This virus is on the way out.

That said, I'm avoiding any mass gatherings where possible, in order to ensure my holidays are at least sans isolation.

Except the isolation I choose, of course.
So, Pfitzy, yes, that's all common sense, good work. I assume some of our state leaders will therefore take the opposite approach.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Have to say I'm a little nervous about Omicron. I had AZ and my five months doesn't kick in until jan 13. From all accounts, AZ offers very little protection from this variant after a few months. I wonder If I can talk my doc into getting it early.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Have to say I'm a little nervous about Omicron. I had AZ and my five months doesn't kick in until jan 13. From all accounts, AZ offers very little protection from this variant after a few months. I wonder If I can talk my doc into getting it early.
Really? everything I've read has said that we don't know shit yet but early signs are that vaccines remain effective and the disease is milder, regardless.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Really? everything I've read has said that we don't know shit yet but early signs are that vaccines remain effective and the disease is milder, regardless.

Suggestions that protection could be as low as 10%. But yes very early days.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No scientist here but it's curious they seem confident enough to state that two doses of vaccine over three months ago no longer appears to prevent disease but that they don't know whether Omicron is less severe or not.

Surely assessing the severity of known infections is central to drawing both conclusions?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Reports I’ve read is it’s basically zero protection.
im with you,
I want a boost.
sceptics can man up and take the risk.
me, not so much.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Study out of SA this morning says two shots of Pfizer is only 33% effective against infection & 70% against hospitalisation. Everyone in my household will be getting the booster as soon as we're eligible (six month wait period over here except as below).

Sully I'd have thought that if you're higher-risk or live with someone who is then your GP could fast-track you for a booster? That's what's happening over here wrt the immuno-comprised & people with e.g. Diabetes & certain heart/ respiratory conditions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1300ish cases in NSW on the day some of the protocols change WRT checkin, masks, and UFHs (Unvaxxed Freedom Heroes) allowed to do whatever they want.

Unless it's a pub, brothel, or public transport ;)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And Qld sends a plane load of masked & vaccinated "contacts" into 2 weeks of quarantine
Apparently Qld has now backed off the quarantine requirement for most passengers on that flight. Reading the Qld update, the most positive part of that is that the Qld CHO has said that the change of heart was after talking to other state CHOs and trying to align with national guidelines - about time!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is like the thing is following the normal evolutionary steps in becoming more infectious but less deadly

A virus wants to reproduce, a dead host doesn't allow that reproduction -colds are the definition of a successful virus

This sort of statement is increasingly common - but to nitpick. Unicellular life is not conscious and can't "want" anything. A virus is not even that. It is not even a life form. It's a set of two molecules - one the DNA/RNA the other the capsid which are meshed together. It is a chemical not a life.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think we’ll see a booster next year targeting the omicron strain if it continues to gain traction as the dominant variant - much as the seasonal flu vax differs each year depending on the prevalent strains in the preceding overseas winter,

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
While NSW has required up to 700 people who were at particular pubs/music venues to isolate. Is that really much different?

NSW only requires them to isolate for 7 days.

Queensland has changed their ruling and said that only people within two rows are close contacts and need to isolate. The others are casual contacts and just need a negative test.

The problem with Queensland is they were effectively making it up on the fly. No one was told before getting on the flight that if there was a single positive case on their flight that they would then have to isolate for 14 days.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Apparently Qld has now backed off the quarantine requirement for most passengers on that flight. Reading the Qld update, the most positive part of that is that the Qld CHO has said that the change of heart was after talking to other state CHOs and trying to align with national guidelines - about time!

Winning an election is a helluva thing.