• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Costs awarded against Novak.
This aspect is strange:
The reasons were not given by Chief Justice James Allsop.
This was an accelerated case from Friday thru Sunday so that the player could get a decision before the tournament started.

So my take is that the decision was read first and the reasons will be written up, probably in a day or so. The alternative would have been to write the case, then come back and announce...

Also, while I'm sure these guys are remunerated well enough, they've probably done a 20+ hour weekend on the punch card.

Reactions: dru

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
This was an accelerated case from Friday thru Sunday so that the player could get a decision before the tournament started.

So my take is that the decision was read first and the reasons will be written up, probably in a day or so. The alternative would have been to write the case, then come back and announce...

Also, while I'm sure these guys are remunerated well enough, they've probably done a 20+ hour weekend on the punch card.
It was also at the request of Djokovic's counsel, and consented to by the Minister's.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Australian's on-line poll is running heavily in favour of the government.

Do you agree with the decision to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa?​

Currently 85% Yes, 15% No.

This is the same government who allowed an unvaccinated Renata Varacova into Australia, let her loose in the community and allowed her to play in a tournament, then when the Novak saga blew up they arrested her, strip searched her, and deported her.

I assume 85% of Australians are supportive of that process too.
The politics of covid is worse than the health aspects.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1642377362026.png

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Australian's on-line poll is running heavily in favour of the government.

Do you agree with the decision to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa?​

Currently 85% Yes, 15% No.

This is the same government who allowed an unvaccinated Renata Varacova into Australia, let her loose in the community and allowed her to play in a tournament, then when the Novak saga blew up they arrested her, strip searched her, and deported her.

I assume 85% of Australians are supportive of that process too.
The politics of covid is worse than the health aspects.
Did they strip search her? Show me where you got that from.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pretty mental watching the NFL and the seppos all crammed into their mega arenas, cheek to jowl...... and yet their national covid vax rate has plateaued at 62%. I guess for bogan footie fans its even lower? 40% at best?

It's like they think they've "beaten" the Rona by just.......... pretending it's not there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pretty mental watching the NFL and the seppos all crammed into their mega arenas, cheek to jowl...... and yet their national covid vax rate has plateaued at 62%. I guess for bogan footie fans its even lower? 40% at best?

It's like they think they've "beaten" the Rona by just.......... pretending it's not there.

Worked for gun control.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We are probably not at "peak Djoker" yet.

> Both Spain and France stating they will be similar to Australia for entering to play in their Open tennis tournaments.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ that's interesting, just last week Maracineanu was quoted as saying he'd be OK due to some kinda bubble setup. Guess that got trumped by Macron's stated wish to "piss off" the unvaccinated. How very French.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's tragic when one of the world's fittest men who is not only covid-free but also immune is banned from playing in Australia.
He is not unclean as many have portrayed him.
He is not a health danger to anyone.
He is however as Hawke said, someone who may "excite anti-vaxx sentiment".
The only difference between Novak and the numerous celebrities and sports people who have been given exemptions is his position on vaccinations. He doesn't toe the government line so he is deported.
As with all the lockdowns, compulsory vaccinations and mask wearing it is more about control than public health.

Last edited:

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How can mug punters like most of us here have an informed opinion when the same stats are presented in different ways?
For example:
Queensland death toll released 17 Jan, 7 died of whom 5 were fully vaccinated.
So Chief Health Officer Dr John Gerrard issued a stark new statistic based on numbers coming from hospitals around the state, saying the unvaccinated are 24 times more likely to end up in intensive care than someone who has had all three shots.

Last I looked double jabbed = fully vaccinated. Now we are being asked to ignore that metric and focus on triple jabbed statistics.
It appears to me that official figures are presented in such a way as to inflame fear of the virus and make government decisions look good.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's tragic when one of the world's fittest men who is not only covid-free but also immune is banned from playing in Australia.
He is not unclean as many have portrayed him.
He is not a health danger to anyone.
He is however as Hawke said, someone who may "excite anti-vaxx sentiment".
The only difference between Novak and the numerous celebrities and sports people who have been given exemptions is his position on vaccinations. He doesn't toe the government line so he is deported.
As with all the lockdowns, compulsory vaccinations and mask wearing it is more about control than public health.
I would have liked a more open consideration of the merits of his exemption. A lot of outstanding questions. If he did have covid which was satisfactorily evidenced and formed a legitimate ground for the granting of an exemption, which he then obtained through the established process - I don't see why he should be deported. I CBF digging too much but these issues wernt canvassed in anything I read.

All politics and procedure. The Minister using is power to deport anyone 'in the public interest' is a very unsatisfactory outcome IMO. It's arbitrary, clarifies nothing and creates further uncertainty.

Are you actually immune once you've contracted Covid? Can you still carry the virus and pass it to others? If yes & no, what's the issue? If no & yes - just say that?

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would have liked a more open consideration of the merits of his exemption. A lot of outstanding questions. If he did have covid which was satisfactorily evidenced and formed a legitimate ground for the granting of an exemption, which he then obtained through the established process - I don't see why he should be deported. I CBF digging too much but these issues wernt canvassed in anything I read.

All politics and procedure. The Minister using is power to deport anyone 'in the public interest' is a very unsatisfactory outcome IMO. It's arbitrary, clarifies nothing and creates further uncertainty.

Are you actually immune once you've contracted Covid? Can you still carry the virus and pass it to others? If yes & no, what's the issue? If no & yes - just say that?
No, you are not immune. Your immunity is improved compared to someone who is both infection-naive and vaccination-naive.
Yes, you can carry and transmit the virus.
Coronaviruses mutate frequently, hence annual issues with the common cold, often associated with forms of coronavirus (4 of the 7 identified coronaviruses fall into this category). There is some baseline immunity, but you can still get a cold.
Too many people look at this as a binary situation. It isn't. Vaccination is aimed at reducing likelihood of contracting the virus, mitigating the severity of symptoms if it is contracted, and reducing the likelihood of hospitalisation and death as well. There is plenty of evidence to these effects.
There is no 0 v 1 argument.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I don't think there has been enough time for studies to result in authoritative advice regarding the effectiveness of getting the bug as a future protection. My understanding is that if you caught Delta (and recovered) it had nil impact on preventing getting Omicron. At the same time, while it is not being widely discussed, early reports were that double vax with AZ had nil prevention for Omicron (but AZ had improved results for hospitalisation and recovery than non-vaxed). Catching Omicron (and recovering) is thought to reduce getting infected with Delta. How much is not known.

The issue for authorities is that getting SARS-2 is completely unknown as to exactly what level of protection is involved. It differs from strain to strain and unknown if it matches a single vax, a double vax or something else. I can completely understand reticence to accept entry based on a) ignoring the health advice; and b) resulting in getting illness and c) being lucky enough to survive - with unknown impacts to catching it again (or another strain).

On my earlier point, double AZ PLUS a booster solves the issue. I expect that the vaccine manufacturer's are addressing the new strains, just like they do with the flu vaccine.