• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is it a regular one or limited edition?

I regularly buy the Crankshaft IPA and my local sells a couple of others but I'm not sure they get the Red Nut. They probably would if I asked for it though. Will have a look.

It's in stock most of the time at my local independent bottle shop in Brisbane, I think it's just a regular line beer. It is very good.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is it a regular one or limited edition?

I regularly buy the Crankshaft IPA and my local sells a couple of others but I'm not sure they get the Red Nut. They probably would if I asked for it though. Will have a look.

Saw it on the shelves in a local bottle shop today. Looks like a permanent fixture I think.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone have any ideas of what we can expect for the summer crushers this year? The craft beer market has been very hazy and sour forward this year. Some of the larger craft brewers have released lower ABV drinks lately so maybe that's where the market is going.

It might be our turn for the 'Summer of Seltzer' as the US had a few years ago. They seem to be popping up everywhere.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I couldn't think of anything worse than hard seltzer. But then again, I've never been into subzeros, UDL, or other premixes. Enjoying the sours, but anticipate they'll go the same way as IPA - a flood.

Similarly to sours, more geuze and lambic is hitting our shores these days. They're not for everyone, but I'm a huge fan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I couldn't think of anything worse than hard seltzer. But then again, I've never been into subzeros, UDL, or other premixes. Enjoying the sours, but anticipate they'll go the same way as IPA - a flood.

Similarly to sours, more geuze and lambic is hitting our shores these days. They're not for everyone, but I'm a huge fan.

I wouldn't lump in the new hard seltzers with those kids drinks...........

I've been regularly enjoying the Hop Nation Lemon & Lime Rays, which I find to be quite refreshing and not too sweet, and then you're left with a nice little buzz when you down it too quickly.

The Two Birds Watermelon Chirpy isn't too bad either.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Yeh I was geuze or gose fan before this current onslaught of sours started coming, looking forward to trying a few more as it becomes more profound on our shores.

I agree with Slim re hard seltzer. I have adverse reactions to any of those premixes, way too much sugar. The hard seltzer’s are a different game. But they are bloody expensive! Craft beer isn’t really a poor mans sport either but the seltzer’s for what they are - seem way over priced, it’s literally a distilled neutral grain alcohol with some flavour, hardly the same level of brewing technique needed than for an equally priced craft ale. The White Claw brand that landed on Australian soil this week is retailing for $24 for 4 cans, my friend living on the west coast of USA picks them up for $7 for 4 cans (that’s calculating exchange rate).

Tex

John Thornett (49)

My local bottleshops now have rack after rack of sours in every flavour combo you can imagine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have never been able to get into sours. Just don't like the flavour at all.

I love IPAs though and that's probably the majority of what I drink in terms of beer.

Definitely noticing a lot more Australian NEIPAs on the market which isn't a bad thing.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah, I tried the White Claw, not as sweet as standard premixes, but it just feels cheap and unsatisfying.

Not surprised the bottle-o shelves are being loaded with sours for summer. I'll still enjoy 'em, some will be interesting, some refreshing, and some I'll just bash down on a Saturday arvo. Might also nose around for something new. You know, keeping up my indy cred and all that. Is indy cred still a thing?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I reckon there are enough small brewers doing wild stuff with beer to allow indie cred! It gets tricky with every silent release of a new IPA labelled and marketed as "indie" when in fact it's spat out by Lion-Nathan or CUB.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Looking overseas, craft bohemoths like Brewdog and Mikkeller still manage to remain creative and absorb influences. Probably comes back to economies of scale - there's bound to be more varying tastes in a large market like the EU beer market.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mrs Badge brought this home, not normally a huge fan of overly fruity beers, but this one was exceptionally well balanced. Loved it. Brewed in Goulburn, Look out for it, its a goodie.
Neipa beer.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Contemplation on a Friday.

hopsters.jpg

It isn't really Pale Ale weather, so I might go get something more bourbony. Or I might not.

Either way if you want to invest in a brewery (I don't run it, but they have some options for interested parties @ 6% flat rate p.a.) hit me up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The results of the 2022 GABS (Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular) voting for the top 100 craft beers is due to be released today.

Some top beers from the Canberra Region are in the running, including Bentspoke's Crankshaft which has taken out top spot the last two years.

My particular favourites from those I've drunk are Red Nut (Bentspoke), Cluster 8 (Bentspoke), Crankshaft (Bentspoke), and Evil Eye Red IPA (Capital Brewing). This year there is a zero (or 5%) beer also in the running for top spot - Heaps Normal which is reasonably new on the market. Been having a few non-alcohol beers lately and the Heaps Normal loses little in comparison from the usual top of the range beers - just a little lacking flavour imo. Good taste but could be bigger.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For the record, Crankshaft won the top award again. Balter XPA runner up.

Non-alcohol beer Heaps Normal Quiet XPA came in 20th in its first year on the market. Perhaps indicative of changing drinking habits in the country.

My own favourite, Bentspokes Red Nut ranked 91. Drinkers of darker beers must be in the minority.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have you tried the Heaps Normal Quiet XPA?
Yep, comes in a pack of four cans for $14. One of the best tasting non-alcoholic beers on the market as judged by the 40,000 responders to the GABS survey. My favourite is the Coopers ultra low alcohol (</=0.5%).