• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^NZL will win the Craft beer brew off with that selection.

Epic Brewery brews (from NZL) are epic brews.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

AVAILABLE AT JAMES SQUIRE BREWHOUSES

The talented brewers at the Malt Shovel Brewery have been hard at work creating a limited release beer that the man who started it all, Mr James Squire, would most assuredly be proud of. Rich amber in appearance, Dark Side Jaffa Porter is bursting with rich citrus hints and sweet chocolate notes. It’s fruity and sweet on the palate with a medium body, finishing with a dark chocolate flavour.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lion buys Panhead Custom Ales

Read here: http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2016/05/lion-buys-panhead-custom-ales/

I particularly liked this bit, "While Lion has shown an ability to cultivate niche brands, and purchase and nurture strong craft brands, CUB has watched its secondary brands Cascade and Matilda Bay wither from mishandling and from neglect respectively and relies on a Yak-only offer." Too true. CUB have done SFA with Matilda Bay. What's happened to Alpha Pale Ale, Big Bertha and Bohemian Pilsner? Gone the way of the original MB brews, Redback and Dogbolter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some good brews coming out of the Panhead stable. NZL have some great craft Brewers, and if Macro-Brewers run Panhead into the ground, then one of their WildeBrewers will come out of the woodwork to fill the void.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
GET $20 OFF THESE CARFT BEER MIXED CASES WITH GAGR!

IMG_3019 800.jpeg

Enjoy smashing a tasty craft beer from time to time? What am I saying, of course you do!
Well GAGR has organised for you to get a $20 discount when you order any of the ‘Tight Five’, ‘The Forwards’ or ‘The Backline’ Bledisloe special mixed cases from The Craft Beer Market. Each case has competing line ups of fine Aussie and Kiwi craft beers.
Make up for our super rugby showing – YOU decide who wins in this battle!

Just enter GAGR20 as a code on checkout to get a sweet lobster off as many of these three mixed cases as you order. Delivery is free anywhere in Straya!

https://www.thecraftbeermarket.com.au/rugby-promotion.html

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
GET $20 OFF THESE CARFT BEER MIXED CASES WITH GAGR!

View attachment 8245

Enjoy smashing a tasty craft beer from time to time? What am I saying, of course you do!
Well GAGR has organised for you to get a $20 discount when you order any of the ‘Tight Five’, ‘The Forwards’ or ‘The Backline’ Bledisloe special mixed cases from The Craft Beer Market. Each case has competing line ups of fine Aussie and Kiwi craft beers.
Make up for our super rugby showing – YOU decide who wins in this battle!

Just enter GAGR20 as a code on checkout to get a sweet lobster off as many of these three mixed cases as you order. Delivery is free anywhere in Straya!

https://www.thecraftbeermarket.com.au/rugby-promotion.html
Done - tight five and backline arrived today (with no breaks). Now to cellar correctly...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fritzenberger Brewpub due to open tomorrow on Caxton St in place of Casablancas.

They are brewing their own beers onsite but no details of what's on offer yet. I will test it our before and possibly after the Test on Saturday night and report back.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This welcome development for fussy beer drinkers sounds suspiciously uncharacteristic for Brisbane..... :rolleyes:

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The sparking ale & the coffee ipa were the pick of the bunch.

Hopefully the rest improve soon

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My lovely spare-rib, knowing my predilection for interesting brews, came home with e 6 pack of Yenda IPA earlier this week. This is one of the delicious beers from Australian Beer Company, a joint venture between Coca-Cola AMATIL and Casella. The IPA is BITTER, very bitter. Worth trying.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Enjoyed a Moa Imperial Stout over the weekend. One of the best stouts I've ever tested, elegantly bitter but extremely smooth; not surprising seeing it was aged in an oak cask. Hard to believe it was over 100 IBUs. This young bloke's put out some marvellous brews: I've run my tongue across St Josephs, Five Hop and the lager and pale ale over the past few years, all outstanding.

Read here: http://www.moabeer.com/reserve-range#moa-reserve-range

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Just ordered the GAGR grand slam selection - has anyone else tried it? Any stand outs? I've never tried the:
  • Big Shed FYeah American Pale Ale
  • Brew Cult Hop Zone Session IPA
  • Endeavour Bright Ale
  • Moon Dog Love Tap Double Lager
  • Prickly Moses Chardonnay IPA
  • Red Hill Wheat Ale
  • Southern Bay Requiem Pilsner
  • Stockade The Sesh Golden Ale
  • Temple Bicycle Summer Ale

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
FYI - it arrived today and came with a bonus four-pack of Tucker Box Hoppy Lager. Get amongst it.