• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not craft beer - but I was hoping WOB or Dan54 or Dismal could help me with a question that's been bothering me for nearly two or three minutes now.

Speights Gold Medal Ale was on sale today ($30 for 24 bottles) so i thought why not? But I answered that question with another, Why not indeed?

The question that bothers me is that if this is the Gold Medal Ale, what the hell was the competition?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree, Hugh, but in NZ cheap doesn't ALWAYS mean crap, the supermarkets are forever getting told off for using cheap beer to get people through the doors so I can easily see it being a bait promotion. SGM would usually retail for ~$25 a dozen which is obviously less than a true craft beerbut not much less than say a Monteith's variety.

Bloke at work is adamant that "VB" stands for "visitor's beer" (the kind you want out the door ASAP) & it's "XXXX" 'cos they're too embarrassed to call it beer :)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Life is too short for cheap beer.

At my point on the Birth to Death spectrum, I'd rather go without than have a VB, XXXX or anything from Tooheys..
Bite your tongue HJ! There's always room for "everyday" beers :) Or in some cases "every hour" beers :)

And I'm sure that you're not as far along that spectrum as you might think. (Well, I hope so anyway.)

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
While I'm waiting for the courier to deliver my GAGR Aussie pick and USA selection from Craft Beer Market, I was wondering if anyone had ordered Panhead directly through Dan Murphys? Had their supercharger earlier this year - and for me was a stand out (along with Garage Project's Death from Above) for memorable beers. It's now been taking over by CUB, so it's a direct order setup. Also if you had done this, has the taste changed at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
d8d3a6f46da909c0a1c4547eab38b19c.jpg

Open for Business. I'll be in there tonight & tomorrow to test out multiple beers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've had the Noisy Minor ANZUS IPA. Good beer.

There aren't a lot of Queensland craft brewers yet relative to some of the other states so it's certainly good to see them around and hopefully growing.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
And while I am here, I will make one recommendation.

I was at an establishment with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on Tap. Really Special, unbelievably good stuff. Best American Beer I have ever tasted, nothing like Coors, I had only seen this in bottles, but if you can find it on Tap, well worth it.

Sierra Nevada.jpg

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Trying to breath some life into these dormant threads.

Had the pleasure of visiting Costal Brewing at Forster today.

Very fine little brewery with a fairly extensive range of beers.

Unfortunately they had sold out if Pilsner and Golden ale and XXL T Shirts, all of which I would have purchased.

But the Kolsch and the Boomerang Pale Ale both pretty special. But I samples 8 beers including a wheat, all were good. (I normally don't care for wheat beer).

Forster also a very fine holiday destination.
1feb1fbaaa740bda41d6de527848ccde.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I visited Wrong Side Brewing on Lake Eildon (woop woop, in the foothills of the Victorian high country) on the weekend and enjoyed their hefeweisen on a hot day.

I'd previously downed more than enough of their dark saison at a Melbourne beer festival, so it was good to visit the origin and see their (excellent) setup.

http://www.wrongsidebrewing.com.au/

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I visited Wrong Side Brewing on Lake Eildon (woop woop, in the foothills of the Victorian high country) on the weekend and enjoyed their hefeweisen on a hot day.

I'd previously downed more than enough of their dark saison at a Melbourne beer festival, so it was good to visit the origin and see their (excellent) setup.

http://www.wrongsidebrewing.com.au/
Fine post Tex.

For a while there I thought I was the only one in this great place.

Will keep a look out for Wrong Side Brewing.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Fine post Tex.

For a while there I thought I was the only one in this great place.

Will keep a look out for Wrong Side Brewing.

Where are you based HB? It's hard to see without the avatars and other bits and bobs. Keep your eye out for a gypsy brewery called Himmelhund, out of Brunswick. It's a one woman operation and she's making some really excellent brews. Had a delicious Belgian pale ale on Thursday evening, along with some barbecued calamari and prawns, courtesy of her Saffer partner on the weber. They're a pretty niche outfit at the moment, but she's making great beer and making a serious effort to bring more women into the craft brewing industry through workshops and group brewing sessions. http://www.himmelhund.com/about

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can I put my hand up as the old curmudgeon in the anti craft beer league

I don't want another fruit flavoured bullocks beer ever, I don't want a dark porter that tastes like smoked chocolate.

I want a beer flavoured beer

If I want a fruit spritz ........................ no, I never want a fruit spritz, they can f*ck off