• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Summer 2018-19

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Isn't it shitty when someone goes back over your older posts to point out just how wide of the mark you might have been?

That was talking about Pattison, no?

I still stand by what I said. It was never in question that he was good enough, it was just about the precedent/look of the situation - picking a squad, then changing it just before a test because someone got runs the day before.

And in a way it has backfired, with Pucovski going home in the way that he did.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was about Patterson Barb, but was really just a rant about the reluctance of selectors and coaches generally to change things in a timely fashion when the evidence is clear that certain players are failing their roles. It has always been so in cricket - "harder to get out of the team than to get in". It is also very much a current issue with the Wallabies (and has been so for the past three years).

I really do believe that coaches in particular, and many selectors are too close to the players to make the hard decisions. Not sure what the solution is, but for starters the selectors should be appointed on the basis of their impartiality towards players, and then be kept completely divorced from the team, and coaches probably should have less say in the team makeup if they are not going to be held to account for their performances.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That was talking about Pattison, no?

I still stand by what I said. It was never in question that he was good enough, it was just about the precedent/look of the situation - picking a squad, then changing it just before a test because someone got runs the day before.

And in a way it has backfired, with Pucovski going home in the way that he did.
Aren't Pucovski's issues unrelated? That's what they said anyway.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
An easy win in the end. Starc 10-100 for the match and 4 centurions. Cummins also picked up a few in both innings and was probably our best bowler in the first innings despite Starc being statistically better. I think Cummins now has the best or near best strike rate for an Australian bowlers’ first 20 matches (or some stat along those lines). Basically he’s on track to becoming a great of the game.

Unfortunately an injury plagued Sri Lanka couldn’t provide the strongest of oppositions this series but we probably got out of it what we needed to—confidence for key players and good performances from rookies. With England getting battered by the West Indies the Ashes is shaping up to be a tighter contest than some may have thought just after the new year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All good calls UTG. Certainly the foundation of a side to contest the Ashes is looking a whole lot better now than they did during the India series. If Warner and Smith make a come back to the team, it will be a good fight between the likes of Harris, Burns, Labuschagne and Patterson to make up the rest of the batting lineup, assuming Usman is safe now in the No 3 spot.

I have been more than a little impressed with Labuschagne's leggies. Well directed and controlled, and a decent amount of turn. He could be dangerous at the Ashes against the English who are historically fairly poor against leg spin.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Labuschagne was really ripping them from what I saw today. Maybe he’ll be a reverse Steve Smith, entering the side as a batsman and becoming a great leggie.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
After the last test Pat Cummins is now the 2nd ranked test bowler in the world and only four points behind Rabada. Pretty good effort for someone who only returned back to bowling in tests two years ago.

Smith and Warner are still in the top ten for batting despite not playing for a year.

Footy2024

Frank Row (1)
Everyone is forgetting that it’s in England... only time we have done well there is with well established crickets that know their game. Putting in Puvocoski, Patterson won’t help us out. The World Cup side at the moment probably should stay for the ashes barring Finch who comes out for, Paine to captain and replace Carey and Hazelwood/ J. Patterson to replace coulter Nile and Kane Richardson.

Ashes Team:
1. Warner
2. M. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. S. Smith
5. S. Marsh
6. G. Maxwell
7. T. Paine (c) (w)
8. P. Cummins
9. M. Starc/ J. Patterson
10. N. Lyon
11. J. Hazelwood

Anyone in agreeance?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nup. Not with Marsh and Maxwell at 5 and 6. I'd prefer Patterson at 5 and perhaps Labuschagne at 6. I also see Pattinson as a possible replacement for Hazelwood rather than Starc.

Still, a very good looking team.