• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders vs Blues a.k.a. NZ's festum odii

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For reasons best known to themselves, kiwi punters have stuck enough of their hard-earned on the CruSadists for them to be $1.65 faves. Bloos paying $2.25. Go figure.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
fuck those odds aren't bad. the Blues might be worth a punt. Still, I can't remember the last time the Saders lost 2 on the trot at home. I won a bunch of money on the Chiefs last week, but I think the Saders might sneak home this week.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sam Whitelock in doubt due to the eye injury (accidentally) inflicted by TKB's boot. If he doesn't make it then expect Romano to take his place & Read to take back the captaincy. Matt Todd should be back, Reed Prinsep surely won't after that head clash.

Blackadder has called for a law change whereby a player taken off concussed can be replaced by someone who's previously been subbed off (Todd, in this case). Not sure we need a law change to cover a situation that hardly ever occurs. Just bad luck that it happened when it did & didn't involve a prop or hooker.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought the Blues-Highlanders game was an absolute cracker and I'm almost ready to get on the Umaga-is-king bus now. The Blues did not fall apart and in years gone by that would have happened from about the 50th minute, or maybe even earlier. At the start of the season they were my smokey for the finals, but their odds have shortened considerably. A win this week and the train will be so crowded there will be no room for anyone else to get on.

The Crusaders, who have started badly again, could be 0 from 2 at the end of the week. You could write a full book on why the Crusaders start so badly every year, but having lots of players who don't resume till round four probably sends the message to the rest of the team that they don't need to turn up either. They are certainly not looking likely finalists this time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought the Blues-Highlanders game was an absolute cracker and I'm almost ready to get on the Umaga-is-king bus now. The Blues did not fall apart and in years gone by that would have happened from about the 50th minute, or maybe even earlier. At the start of the season they were my smokey for the finals, but their odds have shortened considerably. A win this week and the train will be so crowded there will be no room for anyone else to get on.

Even @Dismal knows it can't possibly last (post #31, second gif):

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...-highlanders-round-1.16393/page-2#post-821790

...... having lots of players who don't resume till round four probably sends the message to the rest of the team that they don't need to turn up either..........

Seriously doubt that. It's more a case of how do you replace say Sam W while staying under the salary cap? Besides, this time all the uninjured big guns fronted, albeit some from the bench.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, I'm on lates this week so will be watching a recording & trying to string together ~200 words to describe the by then unfolded triumph/ catastrophe for the new-fangled "Foreign Exchanges" thingo on the blog. Signature/ avatar bet side of things may have to wait until Saturday arvo.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Blues team:

1. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
2. Quentin MacDonald
3. Sione Mafileo
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
5. Josh Bekhuis
6. Jerome Kaino (C)
7. Blake Gibson
8. Steven Luatua
9. Billy Guyton
10. Matt McGahan
11. Tevita Li
12. George Moala
13. Rene Ranger
14. Melani Nanai
15. Matt Duffie.

16. James Parsons
17. Sam Prattley
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Akira Ioane
20. Kara Pryor
21. Bryn Hall
22. Ihaia West
23. Male Sa’u

Looks as though Umaga is now adopting Kirwan's selection policies. Sigh.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Guyton will go ok at 9, still waiting to see McGahan -son of-, play a really good game at 10, but admittedly having seen a lot of hm. Apparently was always how they intended picking for first 2 games. A little surprised that Faumiuna didn't start against a pretty good crusaders tight 5, but I not getting upset at Tana and co trying combos early.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Like the look of Blake Gibson at openside. The Blues have some impressive options in the back row. I rate Ioane above Luatua but Tana must be giggling when he gets around to writing down 6, 7 and 8.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree about Tana enjoying his loosies pick 2blues, though I tend to think Luatua is a better option at 8 than Ioane at this stage, a little tighter. Think Iaone is perhaps a couple of years away, and is probably fighting Kaino as a 6 more than Luatua as an 8.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Blackadder has stuck with the same starting XV, Samu comes onto the bench for Prinsep:

David Havili, Jone Macilai, Sean Wainui, Kieron Fonotia, Nemani Nadolo, Richie Mo'unga, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read, Tim Boys, Jordan Taufua, Sam Whitelock (c), Scott Barrett, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Mike Ala'alatoa, Jimmy Tupou, Pete Samu, Leon Fukofuka, Ben Volavola, Johnny McNicholl.

I'm surprised that Tana has changed his 9 & 10, thought both went better than OK last week & they've got the Lions soon if they want to see what Guyton & McGahan can do (he's the son of kiwi league legend Hugh, BTW).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look at that WOB, the losing teams, Crusaders and Canes stick with same teams and winning ones change!!

And as for McGahan is why I called him -son of- in earlier post!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ yep, the old "never change a winning team" adage goes under the microscope, and whereas you & I & probably a good many other kiwis know who Matt is son of, probably not so many Strayans do, hence the clarification :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
fuck those odds aren't bad. the Blues might be worth a punt. Still, I can't remember the last time the Saders lost 2 on the trot at home. I won a bunch of money on the Chiefs last week, but I think the Saders might sneak home this week.

Bloos now $2.50 with a 4.5 start.................

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
New coach, same shambles away from Eden Park. The only factor preventing a right proper prison shaming is the Crusaders seemingly being utterly bereft of ideas outside of scrummaging.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
New coach, same shambles away from Eden Park. The only factor preventing a right proper prison shaming is the Crusaders seemingly being utterly bereft of ideas outside of scrummaging.

Just wait until Crockett is on. ;)