• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I think the most hardcore will be bivvy-ing on the roadside for a few hours at a time, and the rest of the 'sensible centre' taking a proper rest at hotel/motels etc. Some of the favourites will be pushing towards 400km in a day, which is frankly insane. The amount of food needed to sustain that output would be through the roof!

Can't wait to see the dots hit the Alps and Snowy Mountains. All those kms across the Nullarbor then bam, climbing up the backside of Falls Creek.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the most hardcore will be bivvy-ing on the roadside for a few hours at a time, and the rest of the 'sensible centre' taking a proper rest at hotel/motels etc. Some of the favourites will be pushing towards 400km in a day, which is frankly insane. The amount of food needed to sustain that output would be through the roof!

Can't wait to see the dots hit the Alps and Snowy Mountains. All those kms across the Nullarbor then bam, climbing up the backside of Falls Creek.

I think Rupert is planning on taking about 3 weeks. Leaders should do it in about 2.

A mate of my Dad named Richard Vollebregt holds the official record for Perth to Sydney at 8 days 10 hours 57 minutes. For the 4,200km that is about 500km a day.

Other guys have since done the crossing faster but they haven't been officially recognised for whatever reason.

Those are all fully supported so Tex is probably right that they will be 100km shorter per day in the Indian Pacific Wheel Race.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Correction: race leader, Mike Hall from England, currently 700km in.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Quick update on the Indy Pac race. The leader, Belgian Kristof Allegaert, is about 100km in front of the first chaser, Mike Hall from England. They've both been crushing the race day-in, day-out, and have notched up 2,477km and 2,377km respectively.

Since the start on Saturday morning, these guys have stopped for a total of 8.5 hours and 7 hours each. Mind-boggling efforts.

Both are close to Point Augusta and are about to leave the WA/SA desert sections and return to humanity.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I managed to catch the Indi Pac race leader as he rolled through Melbourne yesterday.

He's currently approaching Bairnsdale and is about to hang a left and start grinding up the Alpine Rd through Omeo and Falls Creek, as one does.

48a9e2fd12cb9b332177a1b940429ced.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On a lighter note, the leader of the Indi Pac race, Kristof Allegaert rolled into Bungendore last night where the Tour de Kids riders had finished up for the day and actually stopped to take a photograph because he saw a massive group of bicycles.

They then worked out who it was and invited him in. Mike Tomalaris did an ad hoc interview with him, they gave him dinner and let him use one of their rooms for a shower.

What a crazy coincidence.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So upsetting. What a tragedy.

They've just called the race off.

I have to say I am sadly unsurprised like many down this way that the tragedy occurred on that section of road.

Many are wondering why the organisers picked that route knowing how dangerous that section of the Hwy is especially at night. There were 2 fatal accidents on that section of road last year, and at least one each year going back a few years. It undulating, twisty, high speed (100kms) and the conditions can be very tricky. Its known as a high roo-collision zone because of the difficulty with vision due to the topography.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I long for a day when the discussion isn't whether or not fault can be apportioned to either party, but about how the country's physical infrastructure can be built to allow safe use for those who want to.

I'll take your word that it's a bad piece of road. I had similar misgivings for riders doing the Great Ocean Road at night - very narrow, winding and with blind corners.

Maybe planning at state level for major road upgrades and projects should stipulate width and shoulder minimums?

Just such a shit and sad outcome to what was an enthralling event. There's a tribute ride in Melbourne and Sydney tomorrow morning for anyone that's keen to show some support for the community.

Reactions: mst

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We had about 700 people riding the Indi Pac race route today through Melbourne this morning in tribute to Mike. Similar rides took place in Adelaide, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane.

It's always a confronting mix of emotions on these rides; sadness that they keep happening (three people killed while cycling in the last fortnight) and heart-swelling pride from being part of such a diverse and cool community.

Some IPWR racers were there and will be continuing to Sydney. For those with an interest, keep your eye on the tracker page and pop out to give them a WAVE when they come past. They're hard as nails and doing amazing things.

10d5bf8c8f2872ba8f44ca1ed84a1f36.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why can't we get this sort of funding in Sydney: "CYCLISTS would ride high above the ground through the CBD on a bike “freeway” under an ambitious plan to improve safety and provide a crucial transport link.

The 1.7km Melbourne Veloway would hover 10m above six busy intersections from Princes Bridge to Southern Cross Station, separating cyclists from vehicle traffic and pedestrians walking along the Yarra River.

Costing up to $25 million, it would be made of lightweight but high-strength materials, with the bike way “clipped” on to the existing rail viaduct on Flinders St for most of the route.

Similar elevated bike ways exist or are being considered in cities such as London, Copenhagen and Auckland."