• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drua v Rebels 01/04

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Must win game as Rebels have Crusaders and Blues both at home following this. Rough. We've seen how much the Drua have pushed other teams, this game will be an absolute try fest. Really going to miss Hosea's aggression and Hodge's boot this game. Hoping for a substantial cameo from Kellaway for the final quarter against tired legs.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty handy call ups. I liked what I saw of Feliuai last week. Wish Hosea wasn't out though.
Melbourne Rebels Match Day 23 vs Fijian Drua

1 Matt Gibbon

2 Alex Mafi

3 Sam Talakai

4 Tuaina Taii Tualima

5 Josh Canham

6 Josh Kemeny

7 Brad Wilkin

8 Vaiolini Ekuasi

9 Ryan Louwrens

10 Carter Gordon

11 Monty Ioane

12 Stacey Ili

13 Reece Hodge

14 Lachie Anderson

15 Joe Pincus

16 Jordan Uelese

17 Cabous Eloff

18 Pone Fa'amausili

19 Angelo Smith

20 Daniel Maiava

21 James Tuttle

22 David Feliuai

23 Andrew Kellaway

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I understand the impact he and Eloff bring from the bench but I'm starting to get frustrated with big Sammy getting every start ahead of Pone. I think it's important (for both us and the Wallabies) for him to start getting 45-55 minutes into his legs instead of 25-30. Otherwise a team I'm pleasantly surprised to see (Hosea aside)

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I understand the impact he and Eloff bring from the bench but I'm starting to get frustrated with big Sammy getting every start ahead of Pone. I think it's important (for both us and the Wallabies) for him to start getting 45-55 minutes into his legs instead of 25-30. Otherwise a team I'm pleasantly surprised to see (Hosea aside)
Agreed. I don’t overly see what he brings. The scrum is far from dominant with him on, he isn’t anything amazing around the field. I just don’t see the benefit he brings. But there is smarter men than me making these decisions.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I think it might have something to do with his potential wallabies role, like getting his body & cardio to have the biggest impact in a test match

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He was stumbling after the head knock so 11 day stand down for him

Pretty sure it's min 19 days. Just been through it with one of my juniors, who met with an exposed cricket pitch at our recent 10-a-side tournament. Thank christ, he was wearing headgear.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Pretty sure it's min 19 days. Just been through it with one of my juniors, who met with an exposed cricket pitch at our recent 10-a-side tournament. Thank christ, he was wearing headgear.
For rugby juniors have an extended stand down period, for anyone over 19/20 (not sure the exact threshold) it's a 12 day stand down.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

sat near your u/18's that are in the academy last saturday, really good kids hope they can make the next step

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think it might have something to do with his potential wallabies role, like getting his body & cardio to have the biggest impact in a test match

I don't doubt that something like that would be going on, and if all others things were going well I'd think it reasonable. But between AAA's concussions and Tupou's Achilles it feels like a dangerous game to be deliberately conditioning the "projected" third tighthead in that manner. Reckon it invites situations where someone like Slipper may have to switch sides for 20+ minutes of a test if you get an early injury.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I don't doubt that something like that would be going on, and if all others things were going well I'd think it reasonable. But between AAA's concussions and Tupou's Achilles it feels like a dangerous game to be deliberately conditioning the "projected" third tighthead in that manner. Reckon it invites situations where someone like Slipper may have to switch sides for 20+ minutes of a test if you get an early injury.

yeah see your point, he could be the no1 come the RWC

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
sat near your u/18's that are in the academy last saturday, really good kids hope they can make the next step

Some fine players in that team. Lots of Quins boys, and one who graduated from U16 to 18 academies. He is still eligible for 16s too, so great recognition of his skills and ability.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
For rugby juniors have an extended stand down period, for anyone over 19/20 (not sure the exact threshold) it's a 12 day stand down.

clearly, there is a medical rationale behind the different days and decided by someone way more qualified than me. Still, I thought it might have been consistent timelines.

It all depends on the return-to-game protocols; if they are failing the checkpoints, then they are not cleared to play. DHP is a good example of this.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This will be bloody interesting game I think, I been pretty impressed with Rebels, who are looking pretty good. And I owe them an apology, I admit so saying they looked pretty ordinary at start of season.
Pity I will miss the game on tv as club rugby kicks of here on Saturday, and local boys are at home so will need to be in attedance.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
yeah see your point, he could be the no1 come the RWC
Whether it comes to THAT specifically I don't know, I'm sure in a scenario where one of TT & AAA is ruled out and the other was under a cloud, continency plans around someone like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would be made, but all it takes is a niggle or a stand down period followed by an early injury for Pone to be "being asked" to play 65-70 minutes in a test, and, while obviously not impossible, would be much easier for someone conditioned to play 55 minutes a game rather than one playing 25-35.

Similar reason why I'm (selfishly) very glad WP Nel is getting the starters jersey at Edinburgh: at his age he's definitely best off the bench in 15-20 minute cameos, but gets plenty of match fitness in the legs.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Side not on the front rowers, Unless Orr or IAK are traveling emg why are they not playing club footy?

*Edited, we have an a game v Moorrabbin

Last edited: