• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eastern Distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can anyone explain to me why even on a day when their has been no rain water will pool near the Cleveland Street exit? Never understood this.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Everday there is a caution wet road sign even though it may not have rained in a week. Someone please satisfy my curiosity.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its a conspiracy by the car wash companies.;)

Actually, the natural flow of ground water is from the moore park/randwick area west and then south into the Cooks river. i suspect the Northern barrier is the paddingotn/Surryhills region (which is more elevated), and that ground water north of there flows to the harbour. They would have put drainage into deal with it, but obviously didnt quite get it right.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

Actually, the natural flow of ground water is from the moore park/randwick area west and then south into the Cooks river. i suspect the Northern barrier is the paddingotn/Surryhills region (which is more elevated), and that ground water north of there flows to the harbour. They would have put drainage into deal with it, but obviously didnt quite get it right.
Ok then, Waratahs supporter's tears.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Most likely a perched water table which is like a spring as per IS response above.

Perched water table normally occurs a the junction of a rock and clay or sand layer in the ground. The water runs through the clay/sand then hits the rock and can't penetrate, so it runs along the top of that layer.

When you excavate vertically through that layer it causes the water to come through the new surface.

Of course there are some simple drainage designs they could have implemented to stop it affecting the road, but that is asking a bit too much sometimes!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A lot of that area floods regularly.

The corner of Cleveland St and Anzac Pde, the corner of Driver Ave and Lang Road, quite a lot of Lang Rd in general outside the Entertainment Quarter and the walking/bike path along Lang Rd next to the Robertson Rd sporting fields/tennis courts etc.

I was once walking from the bus stop along Lang Rd in pouring rain on my way home and when I stepped off the footpath onto Driver Ave near the corner of Lang Rd, I stepped into knee deep water. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I understood that the Tank Stream rose at paddington - about where the old Town Hall is: opposite on the corner of Oatley Rd and Oxford St there is a derelict water storage facility that I had been told in childhood was a former source of water for Sydney.
paddington-reservoir-gardens-arches.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ on a side note, the City of Sydney Council has turned that into a really nice little park now.

They've even got deck chairs people can sit on in the sun.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
IIRC Busby's Bore in Centennial Park supplied early Sydney's drinking water via the Tank Stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.