• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Agree. If Hazlewood and Starc continue on their merry way we'll be bloody hard to beat. I'd dearly like Cummins and Pattinson to have a good injury-free run the next few years.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Williamson and Taylor are on another level to the English bowlers and have been all tour.

IMO the former would stroll into our best XI in both formats.

Expecting the Kiwi's to wrap up the ODIs tonight. Batting first and in cruise control at 3-217

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow, didn't expect that. 350 was a difficult chase but the Kiwi bowlers lacked application. Once again Root is the stand out and assisted by Morgan.

Poms strike back. 2-2

Next ODI will settle the series. Important match for England before the battle for the little urn begins.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ 283/9, Poms 192/7 win by 3 wickets courtesy of Duckworth & Lewis. Once again the absence of Boult looks to have been key, Southee went for 28 off 4 & no-one else did any better. Disappointing tour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NZ 283/9, Poms 192/7 win by 3 wickets courtesy of Duckworth & Lewis. Once again the absence of Boult looks to have been key, Southee went for 28 off 4 & no-one else did any better. Disappointing tour.

Kiwis so close to having one of their best tours of England. The better side in the tests and so close in the ODIs. Clearly NZ deserve a 3 test series next time.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Marsh brothers have found form at the right time. It would be a surprise should Rogers miss out, Watson may not be so lucky as he was unable to bowl. Johnson also locked up his spot.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not selecting Rogers would be a huge error. The bloke has 100+ games of county cricket under his belt, experience that we will absolutely need.

Harris is another no-brainer, he's got to be there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Rogers must play IMHO. He's vastly experienced in English conditions, his recent test record is good and he forms a nice partnership with Warner (one the enforcer the other a grafting accumulator). I'm not 100% sure we need Rhino yet. He'll get another run against Essex but Johnson is getting his mojo back and Starc and Hazlewood if they go OK in the next tour game should be cherry ripe for the first test. I'm as big a Harris fan as you'll find but I think he needs to get some more km's in him before he's right to go. The selectors have the best possible problem right now in who to pick for the pace battery. There are a heap of good options.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm on the other side of the coin when it comes to Harris.

If he's fit and available you've got to select him. He's had plenty of rest leading into this series and is playing in the tour match atm and going OK. Every time the bloke bowls a ball his body is at risk, no point bringing him on tour just to bowl in the warm up games and practice nets.

Problem is I have absolutely no idea who to drop

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's my issue too, Light. He's a terrific player but four into three doesn't go, particularly with the conditions in England and the theory that Hazlewood and Starc will be a real handful with the Duke ball and on those tracks.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Much as I think he's the future, starc is the one to go if rino plays and I think he should

So much of our success is built around non-stop accuracy and pressure with Rino, Hazelwood, Lyon and yes, even Watson, + short bursts of all out attack (Johnson).

The game plan has to change to include starc - he just doesn't have the accuracy over a test match spell (yet). The wicket taking balls may prove irresistible to the selectors though.

T

Train Without a Station

Good to see Marsh scoring big runs. It's his biggest weakness when looking at him as an all-rounder so good to see that appears to be on the up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Harris' performance in the second tour game against Essex will decide whether he plays the first test. At this stage I think he won't unless he has a really good showing. Lehmann's comments seem to support that suggesting that Harris is well short of a run.

Seems like Mitch Marsh and Shane Watson might be playing off for a spot in this tour game against Essex.

In other news, we leave on our Ashes Tour on Wednesday. We are attending a day of the Essex tour match and then a day each of the tests at Cardiff and Lords.

We've got 6 days of our own cricket games interspersed through the trip.

So excited!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Must be painful having to hold the little urn and force a smile knowing that photo is the closest they will get to it.

It's almost as if he is thinking "Fuck... well the English tabloids won't be blaming Swann, Trott, KP, Prior, or Morgan for this miserable summer, guess it's my turn again". You can almost see Mitchell Johnson in his eyes.

Banter aside, I reckon this series will actually end up far more respectable than the last Ashes and the CWC. In contrast to my thoughts prior to their tour down under, I can't see us winning 5 (we have won our last 8 international matches in a row), nor can I see them losing 5 in favourable conditions.

Factor in English weather and we're likely to see a draw or two.

My prediction
- Australia win the 1st test in Cardiff by plenty, tabloids start writing off England and players get blasted as the 'worst in English history'. Smith and Voges score centuries.
- Out of nowhere England ambush us in the 2nd test at Lord's and look an entirely different team and take the win in a thriller on day 5. Joe Root scores a ton and is MOTM despite a big century for capt. Clarke.
- 3rd test at Edgbaston we dominate play but the weather is on their side and two days of rain ruins any chance of a result. Rogers shows his class and experience with a ton.
- 4th test at Trent Bridge is equally as one-sided as Edgbaston and we win it in 4 days giving the lads a free day to check out Nottingham. Hazlewood earns MOTM honours, Johnson also back to his best.
- 5th and final test at Kennington is a dead rubber to us because we've already retained the Ashes but England are a shattered team and we dominate yet again after Warner get us off to a flyer with a big first innings ton. Haddin, Rogers, Harris, and possibly Clarke, are sent off with a 3-1 series victory and the return of the urn after Johnson rips through the English in both innings.

Man of the series goes to Hazlewood or Voges and Lehmann is nominated for Australian of the Year *.

*absolutely should have happened already.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I've been thinking about the series too, light, but have been envisioning a slightly different scenario.

The first three tests are roughly as you imagine, and we enter the fourth test tied at 1-1.

In the fourth test we salvage a heroic draw, with 9 players picking up an injury during the game and only a massive partnership between Smith and a one-legged Hazlewood holds off the Poms on the final day.

6 more of the squad pick up injuries in the day following, and a wave of disease sweeps Australia with almost everyone suffering. With barely any Australians left standing, Darren Lehmann (himself also injured) calls on....... me.

A beleaguered squad enters the final test, and despite being undermanned we battle valiantly. The match is in the balance right up until the final day, when I join Michael Clarke at the crease with 250 runs to get and 5 wickets in hand. We proceed to put on a heroic partnership, with me ending the match with a 6 off Jimmy Anderson to bring up my hundred and win the Ashes.

Later that night I am celebrating the win, and my phone rings. It's Michael Cheika. The World Cup final is two days away and he needs a five-eighth..........

T

Train Without a Station

Still more sensible than half the scenarios people propose on these forums!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Here's a crazy idea. Forget playing Watson and M Marsh. Then play the 4 quicks. Hazlewood is the only one that isn't a bit handy with the bat. Starc and Johnson are quite capable.

T

Train Without a Station

It is a a bit of a crazy idea No4918 and I'll explain why.

A batting all-rounder is beneficial because he can provide good service with the ball if the bowlers are struggling and give the main bowlers a break. He is generally only of value when all bowlers are struggling, so replacing him with a 4th seam option would not necessarily reap wickets. Most importantly, you can only use 1 bowler at a time, so it's not look additional bowlers offer additional value. Theoretically you could play 2 bowlers for the entire innings if that suited you. Obviously in a practical sense this isn't possible but you get my drift.

Anyway, unless you are dominant, you will use 11 batsmen. A weaker batsman who can ball more will very likely weaken your total. Where as a weaker bowler who can bat more may not reduce your effectiveness in taking wickets.

So a 4th seamer as a 5th bowling option will definitely weaken your batting, because you will absolutely have to use him at 8. Where as a 6th batting option won't definitely weaken your bowling as you may only use him sparingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.