• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Expanded Rugby Championship

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SANZAAR's statement:

SANZAAR Looks To Future

The SANZAAR Executive Committee met in Tokyo prior to the Rugby World Cup semi-finals on Friday, 25 October. An agenda item dealing with the future of SANZAAR's rugby structures re-confirmed the organisation's commitment to the establishment of international and domestic pathways for Emerging Nations. SANZAAR will continue to engage with all stakeholders in the Asia-Pacific region.

ENDS

ISSUED BY SANZAR

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would freshen up the tournament. I guess the teams would play each other once like the 6 Nations.

The main issue will be the quality of Japan and if Fiji can get their players back for it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like it. Argentina, Japan, and Fiji should all be very competitive to each other, then they also get the chance to player higher level teams in SA, NZ, Australia.

Although based on current form Japan would probably beat us.

The only thing I dislike is only playing a team once. But I guess that's the trade off of having more teams in the comp. I hope the Bledisole continues with 3 matches.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I reckon I could live with one game only against the other 5 nations, but I'd really like to see the Bledisloe separated from TRC and comprise one game only with the winner taking all (the Cup).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon I could live with one game only against the other 5 nations, but I'd really like to see the Bledisloe separated from TRC and comprise one game only with the winner taking all (the Cup).

Kind of loses some merit if they are playing another game against each other in the RC. If we win the RC game but then lose the Bled or vice versa- doesn't really prove much. Ideally you need 3 games IMO.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I may be in the minority but I like the idea of the Bledisloe being a winner takes all contest. We'd have a better chance of nagging it every now and then. As for the RC. Yeah. I like the single round of 5 games.

What would be awesome beyond this would be the introduction of a 2nd Div to include other targeted Unions. With the opportunity for promotion via a play off against the last placed RC team on a annual or preferable biennial basis with the 2nd Div actually running over a two year home and away schedule (10 games in each in total). Reward consistent performance.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So glad this looks like it might finally happen. I think the biggest challenge will be ensuring Fiji have access to their best players. That will be important as we've seen in their loss to Uruguay that there is currently a bit of a gulf between Fiji's 1st and 2nd XV. They were complacent in that game and so the difference is maybe not quite as big as the result suggests, but it's a lot bigger than any of the other teams.

Kind of loses some merit if they are playing another game against each other in the RC. If we win the RC game but then lose the Bled or vice versa- doesn't really prove much. Ideally you need 3 games IMO.

I wouldn't mind the Bledisloe becoming a 2 match series with the Cup decided on points difference in the case of a 1-1 tie.

That would mean you'd never have a dead game (3rd game is a dead rubber a significant amount of the time) and that it would always be completely fair home and away. It would have been a lot more exciting watching the 2nd Bledisloe Cup match this year if it had been decided on points difference and NZ were having to chase down the margin of the first game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Bledisloe could be a one off match each year like the Calcutta Cup between England and Scotland. I do agree it needs more games but a 5 game RC and 2 extra Bledisloe games may make for a crowded calendar.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would freshen up the tournament. I guess the teams would play each other once like the 6 Nations.

The main issue will be the quality of Japan and if Fiji can get their players back for it.

isn't the whole reshaping of the international year (July tours, Sept RC or whatever) there because of a confirmed international window where test players need to be made available? Or is that just July?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Players need to be made available through the Rugby Championship too.

International retirements are a potential issue (i.e. did Nemani Nadolo retire from international rugby for contractual purposes with his club or did he genuinely want to call time on his test career to reduce his travel and time away from family etc.).

An issue for Fiji might be the bye weeks. RA had to fly To'omua and TPN back to their clubs in the bye weeks. For Fiji this would be the majority of their squad and if Fiji Rugby has to pay for that it might be prohibitively expensive to select those players. They would most likely be asking the players to pay for it themselves.

How competitive could you then be if the majority of your squad is only arriving back with jet lag 5 days before a test?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

International retirements are a potential issue (i.e. did Nemani Nadolo retire from international rugby for contractual purposes with his club or did he genuinely want to call time on his test career to reduce his travel and time away from family etc.).

An issue for Fiji might be the bye weeks. RA had to fly To'omua and TPN back to their clubs in the bye weeks. For Fiji this would be the majority of their squad and if Fiji Rugby has to pay for that it might be prohibitively expensive to select those players. They would most likely be asking the players to pay for it themselves.

How competitive could you then be if the majority of your squad is only arriving back with jet lag 5 days before a test?

There are a lot of details that will need to be sorted out. One possible option could be the use of their share of the revenue to directly contract talent. They will have a team in GRR again next year. They could contract essentially two squads of players and either 1)Run a second squad in GRR or 2) farm out players to other GRR/possibly Super Rugby teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are a lot of details that will need to be sorted out. One possible option could be the use of their share of the revenue to directly contract talent. They will have a team in GRR again next year. They could contract essentially two squads of players and either 1)Run a second squad in GRR or 2) farm out players to other GRR/possibly Super Rugby teams.

This sort of thing isn't going to be an option for their top end players playing for some of the biggest clubs in France and the UK.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bledisloe could be a one off match each year like the Calcutta Cup between England and Scotland. I do agree it needs more games but a 5 game RC and 2 extra Bledisloe games may make for a crowded calendar.
5 game RC and 2 extra Bledisloes is the same to what currently happens, which is 6 RC games and 1 extra Bledisloe. I’d prefer 5 RC games and the unpredictability the schedule offers, which will result in more winners of the cup overall depending on who gets 3 home games and who gets 2 on each year, plus 1 extra Bledisloe and then an extra test against a t2 side, to make the 7 games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
5 game RC and 2 extra Bledisloes is the same to what currently happens, which is 6 RC games and 1 extra Bledisloe. I’d prefer 5 RC games and the unpredictability the schedule offers, which will result in more winners of the cup overall depending on who gets 3 home games and who gets 2 on each year, plus 1 extra Bledisloe and then an extra test against a t2 side, to make the 7 games.
Yeh that is what makes six nations so good - move away from current play each other twice in RC to play once. I could work with we just play ABs once or at most twice. Like others said give us more chance to win bledisloe then 3 match series and help create some interest back in this.

Wonder if world rugby creating League of Nations by stealth - as RC to 6 teams means then got the first stage done of League of Nations ie 6 team Southern Hemisphere RC

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Does anyone know how sports broadcast rights are valued in Japan, is it comparative to other western markets, or not as lucrative?

If they had a broadcast rights pool-sharing agreement, then absolutely it makes sense, what Japan brings value wise would more then cover what Fiji doesn’t bring from a financial perspective.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I like it. Argentina, Japan, and Fiji should all be very competitive to each other, then they also get the chance to player higher level teams in SA, NZ, Australia.

Although based on current form Japan would probably beat us.

The only thing I dislike is only playing a team once. But I guess that's the trade off of having more teams in the comp. I hope the Bledisole continues with 3 matches.
Only playing a team once is superior to playing them multiple times a year and diluting the spectacle.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Only playing a team once is superior to playing them multiple times a year and diluting the spectacle.

I disagree. Twice is perfect. One home and one away.

I see your point on a 3 match comp though, after reading this thread I'm on board for a one-match Bledisloe.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

The obvious thing is to extend the window. Surely a handful of wealthy clubs don't have more clout with WR (World Rugby) than SANZAAR?