• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Folau re-signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Couldn't find a better place to put this (if there's a general re-signing/positivity thread, feel free to chuck it in there).

My sources are saying Folau has re-signed for three more years (to the Tahs with a Japan sabbatical option). Can anyone confirm?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bloody good news for Aus rugby I think. It really needs some positive press at moment, and this is a good start!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So this has happened. Another flexible contract. He will apparently play in Japan after the RWC.

Tough ask for the Tahs to have their two key backs playing back to back to back seasons.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
So this has happened. Another flexible contract. He will apparently play in Japan after the RWC.

Tough ask for the Tahs to have their two key backs playing back to back to back seasons.

Particularly when Izzy suggested he was already feeling a bit jaded at the beginning of this season. I suppose it might be different to go live in an entirely new culture and see a whole range of entirely new things, though.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
images

T

TOCC

hmmm, yes cause for celebration however the elephant in the room is the 'flexi-contract', I'm assuming it is only for 1 off-season, the ARU wouldn't be sill enough to let him take 2 offseason's i hope.

I see 2017 Israel Folau been burnt-out and carrying injuries from playing 3 consecutive seasons of rugby union, everyone will complain he is past it and deride the man who introduced the flexible contract.

Super Rugby 2016
Japan Rugby 2016-2017
Super Rugby 2017

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it's Japan 2015-2016. One of the Japanese teams have announced his signing

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
$2 million a year for 3 years. What a load of shit! Instead of spending the $6 million on developing the game and players in Australia, which is desperately needed, lets spend it all on 1 player, who is not worth that much by a long shot.

Absolutely bonkers from the ARU. Seriously stupid.

T

TOCC

Georgina Robinson reporting that it's 2 seasons in Japan...
So is is how it will play out:

Nov-Feb -Japan Top League
Feb-Aug -Super Rugby(including inbound tours)
Aug-Oct -Rugby Championship
Oct-Nov -EOYT
*repeat*

Oh dear, good luck izzy......

T

TOCC

$2 million a year for 3 years. What a load of shit! Instead of spending the $6 million on developing the game and players in Australia, which is desperately needed, lets spend it all on 1 player, who is not worth that much by a long shot.

Read the details next time, that $2million is speculated and inclusive of third party deals and money from his Japan contract...

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Georgina Robinson reporting that it's 2 seasons in Japan.

Oct-Nov -EOYT
*repeat*

Oh dear, good luck izzy..

The Japanese rugby is softer, players go on holiday there. The ARU should prepare a special break for him, something like the NZRU does with the top class players. A break for the first 5 rounds of Super Rugby :p

T

Train Without a Station

Read the details next time, that $2million is speculated and inclusive of third party deals and money from his Japan contract.

And as people have said a million times, the percentage of revenue spent of player contracts is fixed due to a RUPA agreement. They can't just save money there and spend it somewhere else.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Folau is worth every cent. His signing benefits every level of Australian rugby. From inspiring kids to play to attracting sponsorship and publicity.

Georgina Robinson reporting that it's 2 seasons in Japan.

Oct-Nov -EOYT
*repeat*

Oh dear, good luck izzy..

I think he'll be missing the EOYT when playing in Japan. And it'll only be one time as the first season there will be after the world cup.

That article said that the 2 Japanese seasons won't be consecutive so he'll get a break after the 2016 season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Seriously stupid is the right phrase. The ONLY positive publicity that our game gets in the mainstream media revolves around Folau.

Take Folau out of the picture, and we would be getting nothing. Worse still, imagine the negative stories if he had decided to go back to the NRL.

Open you eyes, chum, look at the world we actually live in, a world in which we are a niche sport with very, very few public faces, and Izzy is by far the biggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.