• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I NEED to know what Twiggy paid him. I reckon millions. I don't actually know what the current Super Rugby coaches are on (or even Test coaches) but he'd be on 2-3x whoever the current highest Aus Super coach is.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I NEED to know what Twiggy paid him. I reckon millions. I don't actually know what the current Super Rugby coaches are on (or even Test coaches) but he'd be on 2-3x whoever the current highest Aus Super coach is.

Yep I came here to say this. Luring him away from a Japanese side which apparently wanted to keep him wouldn't have been cheap.

I reckon he's on $2m a year at the Force, at least!

You'd have to think someone like Thorn, came through the coaching pathway at the Reds, won a championship etc would be sitting in the ballpark of $500k a year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would suspect the first positions to fill would be the have to have's:

Additional Lock
Big, Tall robust 8
Big robust outside centre
Prop

Then we can look at the nice to have's
THP is the spot. Medrano is average and Holmes can't be relied on for much longer despite his remaining scrummaging skills.

Ollie Hoskins would be a great get....

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can't believe I forgot about Hoskins as an os option. I'm pretty sure he said he'd only ever play for the Force if he came back to Australia and I think he might be off contract too.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
most of your points are directly applicable to Coleman - 'What has he actually run? Gordon, a retirement village in California and coached the Waratahs to wins over the rugby powerhouses of Melbourne, Perth and Drua"
Easy Rugby™ or not, I think it's clearer Coleman being in the driver's seat for those. That's particularly in regard to the recruitment strategy being mentioned today, and his taking teams from zero to hero multiple times. Add in several more runners-up placings and it builds the picture of that career.

Clearly that strategy is built on someone else paying for it (i.e. not the coach). Both Cron and Coleman have had this to varying degrees - but it gets harder to pull off, the higher up the ecosystem you go. Regardless, someone does need to make it happen, and Coleman has the better record.

Great springboard for Cron from Norths. Verblitz were semifinalists before and during his tenure, though.

Simon Cron was literally the head coach of Toyota Verblitz and was able to get them to third spot last year.
There wasn't a third spot last year. Be wary of blithely repeating geerob's copy - she also seems to think that Japan Rugby League One existed last season but it was still the last transition of the industrial league.

And finally, Steve Hansen has been living in New Zealand over the last two years (little thing called Covid impacted his ability to get overseas), so how much control over the team do you think he really has? The bloke has been about as 'hands on' as he's been in his position of High Performance Consultant at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
That's great. I hope Toyota's trajectory is down to Simon Cron - and that it is going up. The Force, third season back, will need to step it up.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Hopefully they're trying to get Tamaiti Williams back to Perth. Not sure if how long his contract at the Crusaders is. Hoskins would be great to have back too!

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Huge win for Force by signing Cron.
Wouldn't expect him to try and recycle some of the old names put up in this post.
He coached Junior Wallabies a couple of years ago so reckon there might be some highly talented younger players getting a call soon.
As much as everyone wants an instant result I am sure he will come with a 3 year plan.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yep I came here to say this. Luring him away from a Japanese side which apparently wanted to keep him wouldn't have been cheap.

I reckon he's on $2m a year at the Force, at least!

You'd have to think someone like Thorn, came through the coaching pathway at the Reds, won a championship etc would be sitting in the ballpark of $500k a year
Ignoring the old 'you're worth whatever someone will pay you' - I hope he's not. That's an obscene salary for a first-time coach with no Super Rugby/ international experience - the Force would be be better off buying two legitimate rugby stars for that amount.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ignoring the old 'you're worth whatever someone will pay you' - I hope he's not. That's an obscene salary for a first-time coach with no Super Rugby/ international experience - the Force would be be better off buying two legitimate rugby stars for that amount.

Not disagreeing with you but on the point I've highlighted in your comment, what's the go with salary caps in Super Rugby?

Could Twiggy in theory throw as much coin as he wants to players? I figure coaches would sit outside any caps so they can be paid whatever amounts.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Could Twiggy in theory throw as much coin as he wants to players? I figure coaches would sit outside any caps so they can be paid whatever amounts.
No, all AU teams are bound by the same salary cap restrictions as part of their participation agreement. The only variation is that some teams have the luxury of Wallaby top-ups and the Rebels got certain concessions (or did, I don't know if this is still the case).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon that's way off. That would almost certainly make him the highest paid coach in World Rugby.

Yeh $2m was my ridiculous figure. I can't find much about Japanese league coaching wages aside from some articles suggesting the highest end of coaches over there were on around $1.3m back in 2019.

Probably not crazy that Cron would have been offered around $1.5m a year to come back to Australia if that is the case.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was thinking 1 mil, probably shouldn't have said millions. Don't have a clue what Aus coaches are on; if I was to totally speculate...

Thorn: 350k
Coleman: 400k
Foote: 200k
McKellar: 300k + Wallabies assistant component.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Doesn't have to be paid more than Japan just not significantly less. You don't upend your life just for a 20% bump.