• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a good trade all round. Hopefully it isn't just a one year spring board for Europe.
Guaranteed for me it is. Folau only wanting 1 year contact to 2023 World Cup so force take up the option as they don’t have quality backup hooker (Andrew ready ain’t it). Good business for all. As let’s face it if Folau willing to commit to longer contract they would have probably signed Folau but no reason to give him 1 year contract given 3 other quality hookers.

Force get value as super rugby hooker can get immediate value out of for 1 year and bide them time as develop / recruit other options.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We are keeping Kaitu'u he aint going nowhere. He is our captain and first new Wallaby in ages and loves the West.

The two of them will make an awesome pairing as hooker options.

Brumbies already have two wallaby hookers and a new up and comer without Folau so more than enough stocks there
Good opportunity to also develop kaitu’u as I am sure will benefit from Folau around for a year

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Knights want to cut Ponga. I know he's on record saying he wants to play for the All Blacks but I'm sure the NZRU would still pick him if he played for an Aus side. Twiggy should get the chequebook out for him.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Knights want to cut Ponga. I know he's on record saying he wants to play for the All Blacks but I'm sure the NZRU would still pick him if he played for an Aus side. Twiggy should get the chequebook out for him.
Since when have nzru changed its selection policy

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Confirmed by The Force that Kyle is moving on Read More

The Western Force can confirm that Kyle Godwin will be departing the club at the end of the season to join French Top 14 side Lyon.

Godwin, a homegrown product who recently made his 100th Super Rugby appearance, will continue as vice-captain of the club for the remainder of the current campaign.........

Another bitter sweet movement, like Tim Samson, Kyle has been great to get us to where we are and has been enormous for the club.

However with the likes of Bayley Kunzel and hopefully Poolman in the future, the 12 position looks locked up and that is really where he belongs. He has done well for us at 13 but is not a genuine 13 and we need a bigger bodied 13 to help us move to the next level.

He has been a great clubman and always has time to engage with the fans and is one of the last to leave the field each week. On the upside he gets to move on his own terms and I am sure Lyon will enjoy having around the club

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Confirmed by The Force that Kyle is moving on Read More

The Western Force can confirm that Kyle Godwin will be departing the club at the end of the season to join French Top 14 side Lyon.

Godwin, a homegrown product who recently made his 100th Super Rugby appearance, will continue as vice-captain of the club for the remainder of the current campaign.........

Another bitter sweet movement, like Tim Samson, Kyle has been great to get us to where we are and has been enormous for the club.

However with the likes of Bayley Kunzel and hopefully Poolman in the future, the 12 position looks locked up and that is really where he belongs. He has done well for us at 13 but is not a genuine 13 and we need a bigger bodied 13 to help us move to the next level.

He has been a great clubman and always has time to engage with the fans and is one of the last to leave the field each week. On the upside he gets to move on his own terms and I am sure Lyon will enjoy having around the club
I think the force have got good value out of Godwin, and would be good to keep for squad depth but yes perhaps opportunity to secure better centres. The issue is that currently the Force don't have good centre depth with Kahui probably in his final season as well. Puts pressure on recruitment as Kuenzle still finding his feet. In many ways would have been better to have Godwin around for another season given lack of depth at centre.

Last edited:

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I wonder which centres are off contract overseas that Simon Cron may be able to influence to come to the Force?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kerevi seems to have some genuine discussions ahead about whether he stays in Japan.

I have a feeling his next Suntory deal won't be as ludicrous as the current one, considering he's back in the Wallaby frame. With the right RA top up, I think he's very much in the picture to lure back to Super Rugby.

If the Force managed to get a player like Kerevi, you could put Andrew Ready at flyhalf and still manage to win more games than you will in 2022.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kerevi seems to have some genuine discussions ahead about whether he stays in Japan.

I have a feeling his next Suntory deal won't be as ludicrous as the current one, considering he's back in the Wallaby frame. With the right Rugby Australia top up, I think he's very much in the picture to lure back to Super Rugby.

If the Force managed to get a player like Kerevi, you could put Andrew Ready at flyhalf and still manage to win more games than you will in 2022.
Force are a good shout. They desperately need good centres - and should have the money available.

Kuenzle & Makara are rookies and Poolman is a development kid. Lost Taefu, Kuridrani then Godwin and most likely Kahui next season - this is a grim decline.

However Brumbies are losing Simone so will also be hunting a good 12.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Force are a good shout. They desperately need good centres - and should have the money available.

Kuenzle & Makara are rookies and Poolman is a development kid. Lost Taefu, Kuridrani then Godwin and most likely Kahui next season - this is a grim decline.

However Brumbies are losing Simone so will also be hunting a good 12.
what is Simone doing?