• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Form Australian Players After Round 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What players have impressed you? If there was a Wallaby selection tomorow which ones would be considered?

I haven't seen many Brumbies games so forgive me if I seem to be excluding them.

Props: Cowan and Weeks have suprised me and I think are in solid form. Robinson, Kepu, Slipper and Alexander have all be good aswell.

Hooker: Moore and Hanson have been strong, but no real stand-outs. Polota-Nau has been average. Charles seems to be improving every week.

Lock: Hugh Pyle and James Horwill the obvious stand-outs. Douglas and young Luke Jones have also impressed me.

Blindside: Scott Higginbotham by a country mile, has been brilliant every week. Dave Dennis has also been extremely good. Rookie's Scott Fardy and Angus Cottrell have looked like ones to watch in the future.

Openside: Pocock, do I need to elaborate? Gill has looked very busy in his appearences. Robinson has been solid.

Number 8: No real stand out here. Wycliff Palu has looked like he's getting back to his best, and Jake Shatz has been delivering what most of us knew he could. But big Gareth Delve has been the best for mine, too bad he is Welsh.

Scrum-Half: Again a foriegner has been the best, Sarel Pretourius. Richard Kingi and Nick White have looked promising in their games so far aswell.

Fly Half: Again, no contender here. Halangahu has probably been the most consistant, but that isn't saying much.

Inside Center: Despite limited opportunities, James O'Connor has been by far the best at IC. Barnes hasn't seemed to be at his best, but he's probably the next best performer.

Outside Center: Ben Tapuai, arguably the form player of the Australian conference.

Wings: The young players have stood out for me here. Shipperely, Kingston and Jesse Mogg have all shown great pace and scoring ability. Cooper Vuna looks about 50% better then he did last season, which will make it interesting to see how he goes when he gets more ball. Nick Cummins was playing well before injury.

Fullback: Bernard Foley. Beale looked good in his one appearance, but not enough to be the front running full back. I even thought Alfi Mafi looked agile in his games at 15 for the Force.

Note: This isn't what I think the Wallaby team would be, it's just the top players in Australia on current form.

My Top 5 Performers

1- Ben Tapuai
2- Scott Higginbotham
3- David Pocock
4- Gareth Delve
5- Hugh Pyle

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Brumbies bias, but I think Lealiifano would be up there in that top 5.

He's started the year strong stepping up in attack which has always been his strong point, and taking over the kicking duties with 11/13 kicks; but it's his defence that's impressed me. He is tackling at 97% and averaging 12 tackles a game, and has looked strong in the midfield compared to previous years. Definitely been one of the Brumbies best so far.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To fill in the Brumbies blanks...

Sam Carter and Leon Power have both been good in their games.

Fardy was the best 6 of the round.

Mowen's captaincy and work around the park has been excellent.

Nic White put in the best halfback performance in round 3 in his 30 minutes on the field. Ian Prior has also been solid.

Jesse Mogg is one of the form Australian outside backs and has looked the goods at fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To fill in the Brumbies blanks...

Sam Carter and Leon Power have both been good in their games.

Fardy was the best 6 of the round.

Mowen's captaincy and work around the park has been excellent.

Nic White put in the best halfback performance in round 3 in his 30 minutes on the field. Ian Prior has also been solid.

Jesse Mogg is one of the form Australian outside backs and has looked the goods at fullback.

I thought Hooper was fantastic at 7. He is the best young 7 in the country.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
delve's work rate yesterday was ridiculous. he clutch chase down tackles he was making towards the end of the game were fantastic to watch.

i thought he killed that cheetah as well - 2nd half tackle - incredible the guy just got up and kept going.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree 100% with Fardy at 6, his work rate was great, James O'conner all class, Pocock must stay at the force otherwise they are history. Genia for me is still the best half but Nic White looks very promising. Luke Jones in his first few starts was good, Gill has looked good around the breakdown in his chances behind Robinson, but I think hooper was outstanding against chiefs. On top of a complete fetcher game, his cover tackle on SBW would have been raved about if his name was Smith, Pocock or Macaw.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Going off this round, the standout half back was by far Sheehan. I can;t stand him personally but his role in the Forces victory was immense.

Taps and Higgers have been standouts for the Reds. Holmes has looked good also and Kev has just been what we have come to expect from Kev.
Delve for the Rebels. Pyle and Frier also.
Dennis for the Tahs
Palmer for the Brumbies. All Brumbies players have been playing well to be fair.
Charles for the Force. Cowen has also been playing very well.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How many games does he have to play before I can start demanding that Luke Jones gets included in the Wallabies squad?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
think Rodney Blake has really shown how valuable he is as an impact player off the bench, I also think Hanson and Charles have been playing outstanding. Based on form I would have to say the Wallabies forward pack is look somewhat like this (but i doubt form is the only thing that counts).
1.Greg Holmes
2.James Hanson
3.Lawrie Weekes
4.Hugh Pyle
5.James Horwill
6.Angus Cottrell
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham
(I think this would be one the most powerful forward packs name in recent years I think people like Mowen,Schatz,Charles,Kepu and Douglas could be moved in and out of it
In regards to flyhalf and inside centre i think if you look deep enough mike harris grandmother is Australian maybe a chat with mr deans can convince the lad to change his passport........
I also think to over look Harvey as a form player of the round is quite far-fetched given his performance from the weekend

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I haven't watched every minute of every game, but players I have liked/noticed are:

Props: Slipper, Holmes, Weekes have looked good.
Hooker: I actually thought Fainga'a was doing his usual excellent tackling etc when he's been on.
Second Row: Australia is actually pretty lucky here - Horwill and Sharpe playing very well while we've also got Pyle, Jones and Douglas in good form.
Blindside: Higgers for mine, but I have always been a fan. Looks a more complete and confident player this year. I have also liked the Brumbies 6 from this weekend and the Rebels 6.
Openside: Pocock has been immense, as always. He has added a new string to his game with his stronger ball running (which began last year). Gill has impressed me with how he is just always causing trouble whereas Robinson's grit and determination has also been good. Hooper has been excellent the Rebels flanker (Chamberlain or Saffy?) none to bad either. At this stage I would rank Pocock 1st and would love Gill and/or Hooper to be his backups in the squad despite their age.
Number 8: I have seen a fair few dominant tackles from Schatz, just getting all his work done. Great stuff. I haven't really noticed the other teams 8s (not a slight on them at all)

Half: Thought Genia was immense in the first half of the Sharks game, but he needs a partner in crime. White and Prior have also been particularly good. I definitely think Kingi deserves to have moved up the rankings though, definitely have him over Phipps. I will probably watch him and White attentively over the next few rounds to see who I like better.
5/8: No standouts, but I thought Lucas looked decent in his time on Saturday. JOC (James O'Connor) was good for the Rebels but is someone who also needs a partner in crime when playing in close. The great thing about that kid is that he can partner with the Coopers or the Barneses - he's a pretty bloody complete player (minus size).
12: JOC (James O'Connor).
13: Tapuai. I was expecting a lot from Horne and still do, but he is in a bad patch of form atm. He'll come right though.
Wings: Ioane very good when used properly. Kingston has impressed me with his confidence - he's moved up a level this year. I think the same of Shipperley.
Fullback: I've liked Mafi and Harvey in the force games (especially Harvey's stupid slow motion jinks which seem to come off). Mogg has been a standout for me until Beale gets more game time. Great boot and boy does he pick the right time/place to use it. Very confident.

T

tranquility

All players mentioned are in great form. But how good is it when a bloke like Scott Fardy, get knocked back several times at this level but is now playing the house down. He is a great pick-up for Aussy rugby.

Also Luke Jones has also impressed me, he is a real gem for the future. Hugh Pyle will be a Wallaby this year without a doubt.

Just remembered, Jesse Mogg is a Wallaby fullback in the making. His left boot is lethal, and has a very strong all-round game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Outstanding game? He was pretty poor, think you might be over-exaggerating because he scored a try on debut. He made several woeful mistakes.

Thought these guys were the best on the weekend

Position Brumbies Rebels Reds Waratahs Western Force
Ben Alexander Nic Henderson Greg Holmes Benn Robinson Pek Cowan
Stephen Moore Adam Freier James Hanson Tatafu Polota-Nau Nathan Charles
Dan Palmer Laurie Weeks James Slipper Sekope Kepu Salesi Ma’afu
Leon Power Luke Jones James Horwill Dean Mumm Sam Wykes
Peter Kimlin Hugh Pyle Van Humphries Kane Douglas Nathan Sharpe
Scott Fardy Tim Davidson Scott Higginbotham Dave Dennis Angus Cottrell
Michael Hooper Tom Chamberlain Beau Robinson Jono Jenkins David Pocock
Ben Mowen Gareth Delve Radike Samo Tevita Metuisela Matt Hodgson
Ian Prior Richard Kingi Will Genia Sarel Pretorius Brett Sheehan
Christian Lealiifano James O’Connor Ben Lucas Daniel Halangahu James Stannard