• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Wallabies (RWC Warm-up), 28/8 1.45AM AEST

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You would have Lonergen over Tate just for his goal kicking alone. If you want youth, there it is.

But we still would not have a back up 10. I’d take Lolesio over Foley or JOC (James O'Connor) but QC (Quade Cooper) ahead of all of them.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Backline defence for Penaut's second was some of the worst I've seen recently. Whoever thinks we are improving is wrong.
Not wanting to blame any individual however I am surprised no one has commented on Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)'s defense.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Like the direction he showed in Pretoria? or vs Argentina? I must be a hater for pointing things out
The bloke has history on his side and proven performance at this level. Carter has neither……..yet. Quade is coming of a major injury with a shortened recovery period due to the timing of this RWC. He was our best option for a lot of reasons.
If performance was really a deciding factor then both Gordon and now Donaldson would also have been banished.
World Cups are won on the back of experience. We have little of that throughout. Eddie obviously feels threatened by experienced players who want to have a say.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The bloke has history on his side and proven performance at this level. Carter has neither……..yet. Quade is coming of a major injury with a shortened recovery period due to the timing of this RWC. He was our best option for a lot of reasons.
If performance was really a deciding factor then both Gordon and now Donaldson would also have been banished.
World Cups are won on the back of experience. We have little of that throughout. Eddie obviously feels threatened by experienced players who want to have a say.
You're talking as if he's Dan Carter or something. Outside of a bizarre Covid tournament with all games at home and 2 opponents that hadn't trained let alone play rugby all year, please show me all these World class performances from him

World cups are won by good teams that have built experience over a number of years. Not by bringing in every mid 30's flyhalf from Japan

Reactions: Tex

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
what did you see? I wasn't watching him too closely.

Went and had a look at the stats, he only made 1 out of 3 attempted tackles and conceded two turn overs.

Interestingly enough Gordon made 10/12 though we all saw that a couple of those successful tackles took him 10m to bring down Danty. Gordon made the most amount of tackles out of anyone on the field (tied 1st with Fraser), he had a better tackle percentage than Foketi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, and Kellaway. Suli nailed his 5/5.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He ran through our backrow, not our backline
Looks like it's Foketi, Hooper and Leota who all press in and shoot rather than fanning to cover for the dropped winger Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) (who was correctly positioned).

What I didn't notice on first viewing was that they also jog after the break is made, except for Foketi, which makes it even worse. Fucking pathetic particularly from Leota who was a sub. Pea-hearted bullshit where you can't even be arsed to try and recover from a mistake you've made that's lead to a line break.

The Wallabies are embarrassing.

Last edited:

Digestif Palu

Stan Wickham (3)

He does have a history but it's far from a consistently good one.

My line of thinking is that young players need time and nurturing, it's step up and very few players are going to come into a poorly performing team and instantly play the house down at this level. The one good thing I can say about Eddie is his treatment of young players, I wish Lolesio had been given this kind of support. Experienced players are the ones that shouldn't get such leniency, they supposedly have the knowledge and wisdom, more should be expected of them.

England are in a similar position to us and have stuck with under performing experienced players, who I personally think are superior to ours almost across the board but it looks like both teams aren't going far in this world cup. Personally I prefer the path we've taken with youth, results have been really bad but we probably have a lot more upside and despite the losses most of the games have been enjoyable to watch. On the other hand, if we don't start finding some success soon we might have a very deep hole to climb out of mentally.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Looks like it's Foketi, Hooper and Leota who all press in and shoot rather than fanning to cover for the dropped winger (who was correctly positioned).

What I didn't notice on first viewing was that they also jog after the break is made, except for Foketi, which makes it even worse. Fucking pathetic particularly from Leota who was a sub. Pea-hearted bullshit where you can't even be arsed to try and recover from a mistake you've made that's lead to a line break.
They had numbers anyway as Fines-Leliwasa had the inside man covered. He needed to call that and the others needed to react and drift

This happening at test level is embarrassing

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our 10 needs to improve his goal kicking
Our 9 needs to improve his passing

Not going to win many games if that persists.

Noticeable how much faster and more accurate the ruck ball was with IFL on the park.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Went and had a look at the stats, he only made 1 out of 3 attempted tackles and conceded two turn overs.

Interestingly enough Gordon made 10/12 though we all saw that a couple of those successful tackles took him 10m to bring down Danty. Gordon made the most amount of tackles out of anyone on the field (tied 1st with Fraser), he had a better tackle percentage than Foketi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, and Kellaway. Suli nailed his 5/5.

where from?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu's best game in gold. It isn't a rich field to pick from, but he put his best foot forward. Unlucky to get that yellow card TBH as there was no justification in Pearce's "clear line break" comment, when everyone was behind Vunivalu.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I understand people asking "what the hell does Arnold do?"

People like that don't understand that props don't win scrums by themselves, and we bitched the Frogs a couple of times.

People like that probably think Tupou wins scrums single-handedly.

People like that don't understand scrums, in short.

Could Arnold up his involvement? Sure. They all could. Maybe Philip would be as good or better. Sliding Doors.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
People like that probably think Tupou wins scrums single-handedly.

He certainly gives away stupid penalties single-handedly.

We racked up 10 penalties by the 44th minute. Probably half of them were stupid shit like Tupou's shoulder charge and Tate changing lines to try and kill Kellaway. Special mention to Philip's last-minute cleanout past the ball.

Not going to win games like that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I like the freedom we're playing with, and there was a lot to like about that game BUT it is the same old story:

1) We can't seem to keep it going for 80 minutes.

2) We are our own worst enemies when it comes to dumb shit that players get away with playing in our crappy systems.

Until we fix those things, Fiji and Wales are a threat.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
what did you see? I wasn't watching him too closely.
For a few games now I’ve noticed he’s tackled higher and from the side, which doesn’t work against big, fast runners. Perhaps that’s because the guys inside and in front of him haven’t done their job. I’m not sure.