• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
prop: Ala'alatoa Robertson
hooker: Ready
lock: Arnold
backrow: McMahon Mumm
scrumhalf: Powell
flyhalf:
centre: Godwin
wing: Kellaway Morahan
fullback:

Those in red start against the French Barbarians. To make up a 23 we need two props, a hooker, a lock, a lock/backrower+two backrowers, a scrummie, a five-eight+a five-eight/centre and three outside backs.

My original suggestions for the French BaaBaas match listed above. From that list we can definitely scratch Arnold, he's far too valuable to risk in a mid-week game when he'll be required to tackle the Paddies two days later, and Ala'alatoa will probably be in the 23.

The tour apprentices (Dempsey, Koroibete, Perese and Tupou) will surely start. What about the Aussies in Europe for the Barbarians matches: Carter, Morahan, Naiyaravo, Ready, Ryan, Smith and Stirzaker? Cliffy Palu was an original selection for the Babaas when the team was first mooted a coupla months ago but I haven't seen his name mentioned since. Seeing the ARU's cutting costs left, right and centre, how 'bout asking these blokes to stay for 12 days after the Fiji match in Belfast, either let them do a bit of sight-seeing or join the main Wallabies touring party.

So, my squad to tackle the Frog BaaBaas shapes up like this:

prop: Robertson, Ryan, Smith, Tupou
hooker: Hanson, Ready
lock: Carter, Skelton
backrow: Dempsey, McMahon Mumm
scrumhalf: Powell, Stirzaker
flyhalf:
centre: Godwin, Perese
wing: Koroibete, Morahan, Naiyaravo
fullback: Kellaway

We need four more players, two in the 4 to 8 category, a five-eight and another back. What about drafting Houston for starters and flying in RHP, Lance and Simone from Oz?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't see why they would bring people in when they cover it from the squad. Something like:

15 Kellaway
14 Koroibete
13 Perese
12 Godwin
11 Naivalu
10 Cooper
9 Frisby
8 Mumm
7 McMahon
6 Fardy
5 Simmons
4 Douglas
3 Robertson
2 Hanson
1 Ala'alatoa

16 Latu
17 Tupou
18 Slipper
19 Skelton
20 Dempsey
21 Phipps
22 Hodge
23 Speight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think I saw that Toupou isn't qualified to play for Aus against the Baa Baas. Is that right?

Why not start him for the French Baa Baas if that's the case.

Would it be possible to bring in some of the 'chicken runners' already over there? Is Horwill available, I wonder? Ditto Houston as you say.

Can't think of any No 10s with Matty To'omua out, but maybe Joe Tomane to cover outside backs?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Could be the way to go, Reg. I wasn't considering anyone pencilled in for the 23 to tackle Ireland, it's a big match and the Frog BaaBaas fixture's only two days before it (will those selected for the Irish test still be in France?). There's also the matter of player development, another five-eight's desperately needed in case either Cooper or Foley go down.

Surely the tour management'll be casting their eye over those Oz players in the Barbarians squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Think I saw that Toupou isn't qualified to play for Aus against the Baa Baas. Is that right?

Would it be possible to bring in some of the 'chicken runners' already over there? Is Horwill available, I wonder? Ditto Houston as you say.

Can't think of any No 10s with Matty To'omua out, but maybe Joe Tomane to cover outside backs?

Not sure about Tupou. I had assumed as it wasn't a test match nor an A game he'd be right to play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This from the ARU.

Perese, Dempsey and Kellaway are each eligible for Australia’s tour game against the French Barbarians in Bordeaux on November 24, while Tupou is 12 months away from completing his three-year residency requirement under World Rugby regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)

Please no, not "chicken runners". The Saffers can have that one.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
prop: Ala'alatoa Robertson
hooker: Ready
lock: Arnold
backrow: McMahon Mumm
scrumhalf: Powell
flyhalf:
centre: Godwin
wing: Kellaway Morahan
fullback:

Those in red start against the French Barbarians. To make up a 23 we need two props, a hooker, a lock, a lock/backrower+two backrowers, a scrummie, a five-eight+a five-eight/centre and three outside backs.

My original suggestions for the French BaaBaas match listed above. From that list we can definitely scratch Arnold, he's far too valuable to risk in a mid-week game when he'll be required to tackle the Paddies two days later, and Ala'alatoa will probably be in the 23.

The tour apprentices (Dempsey, Koroibete, Perese and Tupou) will surely start. What about the Aussies in Europe for the Barbarians matches: Carter, Morahan, Naiyaravo, Ready, Ryan, Smith and Stirzaker? Cliffy Palu was an original selection for the Babaas when the team was first mooted a coupla months ago but I haven't seen his name mentioned since. Seeing the ARU's cutting costs left, right and centre, how 'bout asking these blokes to stay for 12 days after the Fiji match in Belfast, either let them do a bit of sight-seeing or join the main Wallabies touring party.

So, my squad to tackle the Frog BaaBaas shapes up like this:

prop: Robertson, Ryan, Smith, Tupou
hooker: Hanson, Ready
lock: Carter, Skelton
backrow: Dempsey, McMahon Mumm
scrumhalf: Powell, Stirzaker
flyhalf:
centre: Godwin, Perese
wing: Koroibete, Morahan, Naiyaravo
fullback: Kellaway

We need four more players, two in the 4 to 8 category, a five-eight and another back. What about drafting Houston for starters and flying in RHP, Lance and Simone from Oz?

Lindommer, I was informed tonight that Sam Carter has joined, or is about to join 'Camp Wallaby', for the French Barbarians match, so I assume it's ditto for the other Aussie Barbarians.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ Not sure Mr D. Sam most likely brought into the full Wallaby squad as cover for Coleman who injured his knee against Scotland. Others in the Aussie Baa Baas squad probably stay there and will play against the French Baa Baas side.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
^^^^ Not sure Mr D. Sam most likely brought into the full Wallaby squad as cover for Coleman who injured his knee against Scotland. Others in the Aussie Baa Baas squad probably stay there and will play against the French Baa Baas side.

Dougie reported that before the game had started however. I think we'll see all Barbarians against the French Baa Baas.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Assuming the team v Scotland remains the A team:

1. Alan
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Skelton
5. Douglas
6. Fardy - C
7. Dempsey
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Nayaravoro
12. Godwin
13. Perese
14. Naivalu
15. Morahan

16. Moore (Hanson if fit)
17. Ryan
18. Kepu
19. Carter
20. Mumm
21. Frisby
22. Foley
23. Koroibete

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

That could be so, BR. I haven't heard or seen details of this morning's match, other than the final score on the 7 am radio news, and a short grab on the ABC "Offsiders"showing TK's last minute try, and Foley's conversion.
They also showed a moment in the match where Skelton tried to imitate a torpedo!

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

1. Alan
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Skelton
5. Douglas
6. Fardy - C
7. Dempsey
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Nayaravoro
12. Godwin
13. Perese
14. Naivalu
15. Morahan

17. Ryan
18. Kepu
19. Carter
20. Mumm
21. Frisby
22. Foley
23. Koroibete

Can't Tupou play considering its not actually a test match?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Toupou isn't qualified for the Aus Baa Baas apparently (see Post No 6 above) . Can't see why he can't start for the French Baa Baas though.

Otherwise, I think there will be a few as possible players from the test squad. Surely first choice will go to the others who were taken over there specifically for Baa Baas game, eg Smith and Ready in the front row? Who else? Stirzaker is over there too isn't he? Kellaway and Ryan?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

1. Alan
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Skelton
5. Douglas
6. Fardy - C
7. Dempsey
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Nayaravoro
12. Godwin
13. Perese
14. Naivalu
15. Morahan

17. Ryan
18. Kepu
19. Carter
20. Mumm
21. Frisby
22. Foley
23. Koroibete

Test against Ireland is two days after this match. Can't see any of Ala'alatoa, Latu, Robertson, Douglas, Fardy, Phipps, Cooper, Kepu, Mumm, Foley and maybe Carter playing any part in the French Baa Baas game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Toupou isn't qualified for the Aus Baa Baas apparently (see Post No 6 above) . Can't see why he can't start for the French Baa Baas though.

Otherwise, I think there will be a few as possible players from the test squad. Surely first choice will go to the others who were taken over there specifically for Baa Baas game, eg Smith and Ready in the front row? Who else? Stirzaker is over there too isn't he? Kellaway and Ryan?

Ok I forgot about Smith and I didn't realise Ready was over there too. And I also forgot about Kellaway.
Test against Ireland is two days after this match. Can't see any of Ala'alatoa, Latu, Robertson, Douglas, Fardy, Phipps, Cooper, Kepu, Mumm, Foley and maybe Carter playing any part in the French Baa Baas game.

There were 33 in the original squad, less Coleman and Hanson = 31. Add in the 3 development players = 34 + the BaaBaa players (4) = 38 + Ready = 39 and I don't know about Stirzaker but I'll take your word for it = 40 players available.

There are 23 players in the A team, 40 - 23 = 17. There needs to be 23 for the match so at least 6 will be in both squads, unless Cheika, Grey and Larkham are planning to kit up. I guess players outside the squad such as Houston, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane could play but I'm sure how wide they'll cast the net. I'd say they'll name 6 or 7 of the A team but only use them if they have to (except the halves).

And BTW, Fardy doesn't appear to be part of the A team.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
We can manage to put out a decent team if our Barbarians boys link up with us for the game

1. Slipper
2. Ready
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Dempsey
7. McMahon
8. Houston
9. Frisby
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Godwin
13. Perese
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway

16. Latu
17. Ryan
18. Robertson
19. Skelton
20. Hooper
21. Stizaker
22. Preferably not Foley
23. Morahan

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Very handy team, htt. I'd have Hanson in 16 before Latu, we should keep our second best rake on ice for the Irish test. And Pocock on the bench in Hooper's stead.

Status
Not open for further replies.