• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French diplomacy - Lievremont tells it like it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cowardly players betrayed me: Lievremont​
France rugby coach Marc Lievremont launched an unprecedented attack on his players on Sunday in the aftermath of their historic 22-21 Six Nations defeat by Italy accusing them of betrayal and being cowards.

The 42-year-old has suffered many reverses since guiding France to the Grand Slam last year - their first since 2004 - but the nature of their defeat to Italy when France had led 18-6 in the second-half left him seething even after having had a night to reflect on it.

"Maybe they were too much in the comfort zone," mused Lievremont, who was a surprise choice to replace Bernard Laporte after the 2007 World Cup.

"Do I feel responsible for that? No, they betrayed us, they have betrayed me and they have betrayed the French national team shirt.

"In terms of the tactics deployed, it defied belief. I did not recognise anything in their performance that we had worked on.

"Do you really think that I told them to play as they did against Italy? I was ashamed. I do not have the impression we asked them to walk on the moon. I do not ask for complicated things.

"This match was an hallucination. I do not want to clear myself from the blame but they invented things on the pitch."

Lievremont, who steadfastly refused to step down after the humiliating 59-16 home defeat by Australia last November, laid into his players and questioned their character.

"They are lacking in courage. They are good guys but cursed with what is obviously cowardice," said Lievremont, who refused to address the players after the match such was his fury and only singled out captain Thierry Dusautoir and wing Vincent Clerc for praise.

"They are not even capable of admitting to their own mistakes. Perhaps it is a trend among the new generation," added Lievremont, who was a top class back row forward and played in the 1999 World Cup final defeat by Australia.

Lievremont, who said that he would make sweeping changes to the squad for the final Six Nations match next Saturday at home to Wales, said he should have been more alert to a possible shock given the attitude of the players when they returned from club duty last weekend.

"Last Saturday evening, they must have behaved like idiots after their matches.

"I left them alone till Sunday evening. Monday, they dragged their feet. Tuesday, their training session was disgusting, appalling.

Lievremont, whose position does not appear to be in jeopardy and indeed at the post match banquet French rugby federation chief Pierre Camou was heard saying 'I will maintain the coach', said that he wasn't spoilt for choice when it came to bringing in replacements.

"I can bring in players who weren't in the orginal enlarged Six Nations squad of 30," he said.

"Anything is possible. But in terms of solutions with regard to the players, there are not 10,000.

"I have done the rounds of the French players, I am beginning to know them and I am having real trouble in putting together a squad.

"Finally, we have to send 30 players to the World Cup...

"I have already looked several players in the eyes and told them they would be at the World Cup. All that is now up in the air. The Italy match means we are back at the starting gate.

"What is for sure is that certain players have worn the French shirt for the last time."

AFP

You've got to love the French.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
This dingbat picked Seabass, only rivalled in the NH Showpony Number 8 stakes by Jamie Wherethehellisheslip against England - and then again, after that had blown up in his face, against one of the three best number 8s around, Parisse. And this when he decided he'd prefer to have the Showpony instead of the great Hairydonkey, a man who's worth the admission fee to any ground on his own, just to watch and be awed. Lievremont's a spanner; arguably mad. He only seems to become sane when picking teams against Ireland.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Nah, Italy are good, and Lievremont is destroying France with insane selections. Also, Bryce Lawrence bottled some stone-cold penalties to France at the death.

D

daz

Those comments convince me that maybe Lievremont should apply for the Brumbies job....

T

TOCC

i went and visited the French War Museum when i was in Paris last year.... It contained the worlds largest collection of white flags

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's gaulled (boom tish). Lievremont needs to stay around so that we get to keep hearing stuff like that.

But he'd better make sure they knock the Poms out of the world cup...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Everyone's riled about his selection policies, but it's the way they're playing the game that's shitting me to tears

Used to be that they used the ball to find men in space, whether forwards or backs. Now they fall for this humungus backline dogma and it's looking for contact, rather than away from it. Seems to me they're trying to outpom the Poms, like we saw a coupla weeks back. A real pity IMO

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
i went and visited the French War Museum when i was in Paris last year.... It contained the worlds largest collection of white flags

Really.

Because the one I went to has the trophies from over eight centuries of warfare between France and, usually, the combined forces of the rest of Europe. I suggest you look at Alan Moorehead's take on the Legionnaires at Bir Hakeim before coming out with such bloody stupid statements.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really.

Because the one I went to has the trophies from over eight centuries of warfare between France and, usually, the combined forces of the rest of Europe. I suggest you look at Alan Moorehead's take on the Legionnaires at Bir Hakeim before coming out with such bloody stupid statements.

Speaking of diplomacy...that's the Irish one for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.