• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Open Tennis 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A cool looking morning in Paris to start the tournament. Nick Kyrios playing the first match of the singles. Won the first set in a tie break. Almost managed to go one set without some sort of controversy. He somehow managed to have a running argument with the umpire over something (no one seemed sure what). Received a code violation for an audible obscenity and continued carrying on through the tie break. In fact he almost cost himself the set as he was clearly distracted.

He interspersed this with some pretty good tennis. Pity he carries on like such a knob - he could be top 10 player, but harms his own chances with petulant displays of dissent.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did I read somewhere that he's beaten more top-10 players in the past year than anyone other than Djokovic? Awesome talent but, yes, shame he's such a prat (tho nowhere near as bad as Tankin' Tomic, obviously).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kyrios takes 2nd set in TB after saving a couple of set points. He's got some ticker. He can play some sublime tennis, but still too many loose shots in between which let his opponent back into the match.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tankin' Tomic through in straight sets & with just the one minor spray at the chair umpire. Clearly keeping his powder dry for the 3rd or possibly 4th round :). His polar opposite Rafa now out there & getting it done, 5-1 inside 20 min incl a to-love service break. French is my least-favourite major but I do enjoy watching Rafa on clay almost as much as RF on grass or Djokovic on any surface.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rafa is the supreme sportsman and the ultimate competitor. Pity Sam Groth came up against him in the first round. This will be a straight sets 90 minute exhibition.

6-1, 6-1 as I type with Rafa about to break in game 1 of the 3rd.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As per the script, Rafa 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 in 80 minutes. Big crowd in for an early round match. Really great atmosphere. Even though Groth outclassed, he stuck to his guns and went down with dignity and class.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Andy Murray ahs already set the benchmark for boorish behaviour this tournament and we're only half-way through week 1. A foul-mouthed, snarling, ill-tempered performance as we've come to expect. He can nplay tennis, but what a c**k

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He didn't tank* & even overruled the chair to gift his opponent a point (whadda guy :)), but Tomic is gone, beaten in four sets by some kid I never heard of.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...goes-down-to-borna-coric-20160526-gp4y3v.html

* but did need medical attention for "feeling dizzy & unwell".

I watched most of the match. Curiously the dizziness seemed to start just after he lost the 3rd set tie breaker to be down two sets to one. Almost immediately the head dropped, he started kicking the ground and had the "i'm a celebrity, get me out of here look on his face." No fight or ticker at all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Stosur through against Safarova 6-3, 6-7, 7-5. A mini choke in the 2nd set tie break which she lost 7-0 and another wobble in the 3rd set.

Kyrios and Gasquet warming up on centre court

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gasquet won first set 6-2. Kyrios has already called for the trainer and had an injury time out. Lots of head shaking and negative body language. This may not even go the distance - wouldn't surprise if he pulls the pin.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gasquet in straigh sets 6-2, 7-6, 6-2.

Big new overnight that 9 time champion Rafa has had to pull out with a wrist injury.

Roger and Rafa now both missing from the draw through injury. Two of the all time greats of the sport and sport in general.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Stosur down in the semi against Murgurza 6-2, 6-4. Good tournament from Sam.

Serena had to fight hard against the unseeded youngster Bertens, but too good in the end 7-6, 6-4

Mens semis coming up:

Djokovic v Thiem

Wawrinka v Murray

Young Thiem could be the next big thing. Will be in the top 10 after this tournament regardless of what happens in the semi. He is described as a humble character who is rarely involved in any controversey. Maybe there's a lesson there for some of the young Aussie players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Djokovic take the first set 6-2. High quality tennis and the kid is making the joker fight all the way. Djokovic is at the top of his game at the moment, hard to see anyone else lifting the trophy on Sunday.

Great crowd on the no1 court adding to the atmosphere.

Can't bring myself to watch Murray play on the other channel. Hope Stan gets him.

Status
Not open for further replies.