• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French rugby destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm heading overseas for six-and-a-bit months, including a stint in France in September which is during the Top 14 season.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of good places to catch a game. I'm travelling with the missus, so some places like Toulouse (which I hear is a bit dicey) aren't as appealing.

Would appreciate any tips.

Cheers,

Antony

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've spent a bit of time in and around Grenoble doing climbing and skiing. Not a bad place and I hear it has a rugby team. Always wanted to go to Biarritz as well.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The south-west is where the game is the strongest, from what I understand.

Never been personally, it's on the bucket list.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
In september the Basque Country is still great so you can watch a game of either Biarritz ou Bayonne. But both teams are pretty boring to watch.
Toulouse is a really great city, nice food, and the capital of the game in France. Seing a game there is always great.
Bordeaux as well is a really nice city but the level of the team is quite low, and the stadium is in the suburb. But in Bordeaux you have the sea quite close, the food and the wine.
Toulon is a shit city really dusty but there is the best ambiance of the Top 14 there and the surroundings are lovely.
And of course Paris, where you have to teams, Stade Français and Racing Metro 92 (the team I support)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not sure how long you'll be in France but if it's more than a month then the first few rounds of the HEC will be played while you're there. I haven't got the fixture list but the pool draw has happened and potentially there are some very good games to watch.

Pool One: Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92
Pool Two: Toulouse, Leicester, Ospreys, Benetton Treviso
Pool Three: Biarritz, Harlequins, Connacht, Zebre
Pool Four: Northampton, Ulster, Glasgow Warriors, Castres
Pool Five: Leinster, Clermont Auvergne, Scarlets, Exeter
Pool Six: Cardiff Blues, Toulon, Sale, Montpellier

So some of the potentially great games that could be on while you're there are:

Clermont v Leinster
Toulouse v Leicester
Biarritz v Harlequins
Castres v Northampton
Toulon/Montpellier v Cardiff
Racing v Munster/Saracens
Toulouse v Ospreys

Round 1 of the HEC happens 11-14 Oct & Round 2 18-21 Oct.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Perpignan and Montpellier (the latter have signed Matt Cararro and Rene Ranger) are fun - but as a Bayonne fan the derby with BO is alway a blast especially when played in San Sebastian which is a great, great city. The Atlantic coast is the only place you'll see any real breakers if you are missing the surf!

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Perpignan and Montpellier (the latter have signed Matt Cararro and Rene Ranger) are fun - but as a Bayonne fan the derby with BO is alway a blast especially when played in San Sebastian which is a great, great city. The Atlantic coast is the only place you'll see any real breakers if you are missing the surf!

Regarding Rene Ranger it was apparently a fake news and he won't play for Montpellier.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Regarding Rene Ranger it was apparently a fake news and he won't play for Montpellier.
Thanks for the clarification - Matt Cararro will become a big hero with Montpellier - I live near Bath and am sorry
he is leaving us, but happy he will be with a French club that like to attack!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Cheers, very helpful. I'm very interested in checking out those Heineken Cup dates - hadn't realised it was on so early.

Might have to re-jig a couple of plans.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Biarritz, without a doubt. And you can easily combine Nice with a rugby trip to Toulon (it's on the train line).

Status
Not open for further replies.