• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Get kids hooked on rugby: The Saffer way

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hats off to this new initiative spreading all over SA. We had it as small kids running at the gas stations and getting free player cards with every visit, now this is being run by big ball cards. Each player playing CC rugby have a card, a photo on the one side and all his info on the back side. They sell it at our supermarkets R12 per pack which include 6 players. You buy the albums (books) where they file this cards.

This teach the kids all the detail about the player, weight, length, birth place, squads he played previously and the Bokke is obvious the Star players. The albums look like this
Kaarte.png

Every single kid (girls also) at Paarl Kleingim have one of them and the album is part of his schoolcase like match or geography and the trading take place in intervals or before school.

Edit: the link to this initiative
http://www.bigballcards.com/

It got so popular overhere that the supermarkets run out of stock. My kid is very lucky because he dad knew most of the info and he try his best to get me wrong.

Maybe a good thought to get going in Aus & NZ?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How important is length in a rugby player? That sort of thing should be between him and his missus... :lmao:

We used to have these cards for NRL players and Cricketers when I was growing up. Can't see that they'd sell here though, just not enough interest in Union

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just sent an e-mail to the ARU asking them if they have cards as my boys wants them for Christmas. I remembe when rugby went pro, there was a set of Wallaby ones (the JAson Madz one must be worth a mint now!).

My boy has all the NRL ones and loves the. Knows everything about all the players, well....not everything. But all the footy details.

Would love if the Oz S14 teams had them.

I in fact remember the QRU had them for the QLD Team (they weren't the Reds then) when I was a boy. Shane Nightingale, Nigel Holt, Andy McIntyre etc. Awesome stuff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Agree fully with you Noddy. Altho my kid do play rugby, he is much more in cricket & hockey due to his small size. He always with me the CC matches and I do make a effort taking him to Newlands. Now with this cards if there is a unknown or less popular player getting the ball, he'll head straight to his player album and look up all his detail. The kids loving it and now forcing me if I went to the shops , it have to be the one selling this cards. He have a special habit now after we bought a pack. Wont open the pack unless we are at the home. This weekend when the shops start running out of stock, trying to explain to a black mama working behind the till, the kid want his rugby cards I almost feel funny. They'll never understand this important thing the kids wants and just shaking their heads. Aikaona Wena, no rugby cards in stock.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Noddy said:
I in fact remember the QRU had them for the QLD Team (they weren't the Reds then) when I was a boy. Shane Nightingale, Nigel Holt, Andy McIntyre etc. Awesome stuff.

Ahem....not forgetting Nigel Kassulke.....

Status
Not open for further replies.