• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fargo, damn I gave up around ep3, fuck knows why, it just didnt grab me. The reviews are top shit though so maybe should give another burl

Have I Got News for You season 10 million back in business. A lot of pommy insider political jibing but Paul Merton still the sharpest wittiest bastard around. When he can be arsed that is

Homeland new season has been pretty fuckin ace

The Blacklist on hiatus till jan 7

The Leftovers season 2, wft episode 5 was so goddamn miserable I gave up on the whole bloody show. However, read some rave reviews so gave it another burl and yes holy shitballs

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Jessica Jones on Netflix.
Simply brilliant.
Set in the same world as Daredevil with summer cross over of characters.
Far more character driven than Daredevil but still has strong action scenes.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Just finished watching Rome series 2 on Boxsets - by HBO from about 2009.

Bloody excellent. Like Game of Thrones in terms of boobs, blood and bonking, but all ACTUALLY HAPPENED. *mind blown*

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
hate to harp on about The Leftovers but holy shit, the penultimate episode of season 2, after I for one had given up on the whole motherfucking season 3 posts north of here due to its abject irreconcilable bleakness, was the single most sumptuous hour of non-All Black related television I think I have ever seen.

A mindfuck of a majestic tapestry.

The season finale was suitably goddamn irrevokably awesome too

**warning** if you havent seen the preceding episodes, ep9 will make ZERO sense. And it might just make you pregnant. Even you, the people of Perth.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Comic book hat on. JJ fell short of both Daredevil, and the source comic alias. Doesn't mean it was bad, it was excellent, but both those were simply amazing.

TV hat on? Yes. Amazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Keen to watch Daredevil. Looks good. May give it a few weeks. I need something a bit lighter now. I need a comedy.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If we're talkin Netflix, Brooklyn 99 Season 2 just dropped. Don't let the fact it's an Andy Samberg series put you off, I don't particularly like him in other things, but this is excellent. If you do like him, well, his fans like it too. F is for Family is pretty good too, Bill Burr's series, be aware animated, so if not into that beware.

The Thick of It, Arrested Development and Archer (animated) are all older, so you might have seen them, but if you haven't, give them a go.

Still Game is hilarious, but that might just be the weegee talking. Very very West of Scotland.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rick and Morty is hilarious but intense. More or less cross Doctor Who and Doc Brown, add on alcoholism and narcissism to the main character, throw in the family dynamic, especially the failing marriage.

Bit like BoJack Horseman in that regard. Yes, technically adult animated comedies, but has a number of non-comedic elements which make them not to everybody's taste.

Love 'em both, get why others wouldn't. Try them both though. For R&M, if you don't like the first episode, you probably won't like the rest of it, whereas for BJHM, you need to get to ep 5 or 6 to make a definitive statement. First 3 or 4 eps are fairly generic animated comedy, with a very basic plot, asshole main character, wacky event of the week stuff. Turns into something much better after that. Finish the Episode with the Ds, and if you don't like it, youd definitely don't like it.

DP certainly picked a weird clip to show if that's the only exposure though. I mean, it's not dissimilar to the rest of the comedy, but it's probably as weird as it gets in terms of sex jokes. I'd have maybe picked a clip from the one where Summer gets a job.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Nice one DP, think I might have to investigate this one. Looks like a classic 20min post gym filler. Handy replacement for FG and AD. Might give BoJak a shot too

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you haven't already you'll want to watch Making a Murderer on Netflix..............

Make sure to set aside 10 hours because once you finish Episode 1 you can't stop.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If we're talkin Netflix, Brooklyn 99 Season 2 just dropped. Don't let the fact it's an Andy Samberg series put you off, I don't particularly like him in other things, but this is excellent. If you do like him, well, his fans like it too. F is for Family is pretty good too, Bill Burr's series, be aware animated, so if not into that beware.

The Thick of It, Arrested Development and Archer (animated) are all older, so you might have seen them, but if you haven't, give them a go.

Still Game is hilarious, but that might just be the weegee talking. Very very West of Scotland.

B99 is really good. Currently watching season 3 on the Fox site. There are some really great eps in the 3rd season. Archer is another that I would absolutely recommend. Cannot wait for season 6 to drop in Australia so I can give it a rewatch.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rick and Morty is hilarious but intense. More or less cross Doctor Who and Doc Brown, add on alcoholism and narcissism to the main character, throw in the family dynamic, especially the failing marriage.

Bit like BoJack Horseman in that regard. Yes, technically adult animated comedies, but has a number of non-comedic elements which make them not to everybody's taste.

Love 'em both, get why others wouldn't. Try them both though. For R&M, if you don't like the first episode, you probably won't like the rest of it, whereas for BJHM, you need to get to ep 5 or 6 to make a definitive statement. First 3 or 4 eps are fairly generic animated comedy, with a very basic plot, asshole main character, wacky event of the week stuff. Turns into something much better after that. Finish the Episode with the Ds, and if you don't like it, youd definitely don't like it.

DP certainly picked a weird clip to show if that's the only exposure though. I mean, it's not dissimilar to the rest of the comedy, but it's probably as weird as it gets in terms of sex jokes. I'd have maybe picked a clip from the one where Summer gets a job.

A while ago we had a brief exchange about Bojack. I struggled with the first 5 or so eps but decided to give it a go and watch the rest of the 1st season. You were right it did pick up and I generally quite liked the 2nd season.

I've only seen a little of Rick&Morty but have read the buzz around it. It's one I'm interested to see as it has Dan Harmon involved and he's well known for characters that tend to mirror aspects of his personality. I'm thinking Rick in this case.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
A while ago we had a brief exchange about Bojack. I struggled with the first 5 or so eps but decided to give it a go and watch the rest of the 1st season. You were right it did pick up and I generally quite liked the 2nd season.

I've only seen a little of Rick&Morty but have read the buzz around it. It's one I'm interested to see as it has Dan Harmon involved and he's well known for characters that tend to mirror aspects of his personality. I'm thinking Rick in this case.
Rick is 100% the self insert. It's sad, he produces such wonderful content, but if you delve into his personal life even a little bit, it becomes apparent that somewhere between a reasonable proportion and a hefty chunk of it comes from his personal pain and his relationships with family and friends.

It's a great animated comedy because it does generally balance the pure comedic aspects, the dramatic and emotional aspects, and the general wackiness of animated sci-fi.

Right now I'm watching Luther. It's one of many UK shows I missed due to timing of other things, most notably final year exams. Idris Elba is simply brilliant as the titular character, DCI Luther, while it also stars Paul McGann, who I love, primarily for his work on the Doctor Who audio plays. BBC cop shows at its finest.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rick is 100% the self insert. It's sad, he produces such wonderful content, but if you delve into his personal life even a little bit, it becomes apparent that somewhere between a reasonable proportion and a hefty chunk of it comes from his personal pain and his relationships with family and friends.

It's a great animated comedy because it does generally balance the pure comedic aspects, the dramatic and emotional aspects, and the general wackiness of animated sci-fi.

Right now I'm watching Luther. It's one of many UK shows I missed due to timing of other things, most notably final year exams. Idris Elba is simply brilliant as the titular character, DCI Luther, while it also stars Paul McGann, who I love, primarily for his work on the Doctor Who audio plays. BBC cop shows at its finest.

Did the same with Community and the Jeff and Abed characters (who represented the two sides and extremes of his character) but I get the impression Rick is not only the combination of both but potentially a supercharged version as well.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If we're talkin Netflix, Brooklyn 99 Season 2 just dropped.

I tried Still Game, but it wasn't my thing.
A few episodes into Brooklyn 99 season 1. Just what I needed. Stupidly funny. Thanks!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I tried Still Game, but it wasn't my thing.
A few episodes into Brooklyn 99 season 1. Just what I needed. Stupidly funny. Thanks!

Fairly normal for regional BBC content. It's hilarious (at least to most of the Scots I know!), but if you're not at least British, I think a lot will just be lost in translation. So much of it is familiarity. Everybody knows an Isa. Everybody knows a Navid. Everybody knows a Bobby. Everybody knows a Tam. Glaswegian working class at its finest.

I've heard a number of Southern state American's say the same thing about King of the Hill. While obviously that's got a far broader appeal, apparently the same sort of thing applies (Everybody knows a Hank, a Bobby, a Peggy, a Bill, a Dale, a Boomhouer etc.)

99 Is excellent, glad you're enjoying it.