• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Goodbye Test Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Heard on the radio this morning Phil Waugh stating that he still believed he had an opportunity to play at test level and was determined to get his spot back in the squad. As much as I love him (in the nice man love kind of way), I think someone should do the decent thing, take Phil to one side and explain a little bit about reality to him.

This also set me thinking about other fringe players who still think they have chance of playing Test rugby again but have probably have none. My (limited) list at this stage is :

• Phil Waugh
  • Cameron Shepherd
  • Al Baxter

Those probably in last chance saloon who might get one or two more games if they are lucky:

• Stirling Mortlock
  • Luke Burgess
  • Matt Dunning

Who have I missed off?

T

TOCC

Well if Cameron Shepherd has a injury free year in 2010, i wouldnt mind seeing him have a go as starting fullback..

I still think it might be a bit premature to rub Burgess off, he is admittedly only one injury away from been starting wallaby halfback again.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's every chance Tucky'll play another 15 or 20 tests. He's refreshed after the rest following his achilles injury and will probably have a new lease of life after switching to the Force.

Shepherd will also be refreshed after his enforced lay-off, and should be energised due to his expert shagging practice!

If Burgess hasn't put some serious work into his passing technique he doesn't deserve to get picked. I suspect he has and hope we see a better Burgess in the Super 14 next year.

S

Spook

Dunning is crucial IMO unless one of the other props who can play both sides becomes half decent. Kepu maybe?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I disagree on Phil, he had a strong super 14, delivered whenever called upon in the international season with very limited opportunities, and is still on the fringe. I almost suspect it's Phil's impact on team dynamics that would be counting against him, however if George were to pick up an injury he'd be on the next flight.

As for Burgess, he's 26 and on the bench... a bit early to say his career is over!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
There's every chance Tucky'll play another 15 or 20 tests. He's refreshed after the rest following his achilles injury and will probably have a new lease of life after switching to the Force.
Reckon he could get 26 more and take Al's record?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We do right off players too quickly.

They all have the ability and talent to contribute. It is nice to have the depth to consider it.

Shepherd, when fit, is the best 15 in the country. If he is doing the work, he will definitely get a shot.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that Dunning is likely to be Australia's next best TH prop as well. The Fairbrother / Dunning combination at the Force could be a great provincial level prop combination. Fairbrother is a TH though(?), so Dunning will be LH? Both are better than Cowan, despite what some WF supporters believe.

Agree that the only players gone from that list you had are Waugh and Baxter.

M

Mojoman

Agreed on Baxter and most likely Waugh, unless Pocock is injured.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
TOCC said:
I still think it might be a bit premature to rub Burgess off, he is admittedly only one injury away from been starting wallaby halfback again.

And there was me thinking that Richard Kingi had been anointed the next in line after Genia.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TheRiddler said:
TOCC said:

And there was me thinking that Richard Kingi had been anointed the next in line after Genia.....

For the Reds maybe

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Dingo's apparent preponderance with youth looks like a clever ploy. He seems to be saying to the comfortable old players "shit or get of the pot" and the message to the young left field selections is " If you're good enough son, now's your chance.

S

Spook

spectator said:
Dingo's apparent preponderance with youth looks like a clever ploy. He seems to be saying to the comfortable old players "shit or get of the pot" and the message to the young left field selections is " If you're good enough son, now's your chance.

You've just worked this out? ;)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Spook said:
spectator said:

You've just worked this out? ;)
And all by myself! Personally I think he is going overboard with the youth and Sevens policy and I do feel sorry for the likes of Fainifo, lealifano et al.

Bring on Australia A if that is his bent.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Shepherd certainly isn't gone for good.

As one of my esteemed colleagues has mentioned, players like Waugh are only an injury away from returning.

Much may depend on next year's S14 form.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Remember that Shepherd wasn't even considered as he was injured. Again. So it's impossible to make the call that he was overlooked and gone.

BTW, I still wouldn't even pick Kingi as backup scrumhalf over Lucas at the Reds yet. Plus Lucas covers 9/10/12 effectively off the bench. Remember Lucas played plenty of the last S14 season with a very painful injury as the Reds were out of scrumhalves due to suspension/injury.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On Lucas, I know he has been injured, but how many good S14 games has he played? I can't remember him doing much at all

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
On Lucas, I know he has been injured, but how many good S14 games has he played? I can't remember him doing much at all

debuted in 08 playing 10, starting 6 and a replacement in 4.

this year started in 8 and a replacement in 3

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
fatprop said:

debuted in 08 playing 10, starting 6 and a replacement in 4.

this year started in 8 and a replacement in 3

I remember him scoring one try, my point is that he may have potential, but he hasn't delivered much at S14 level in the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.