• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Graham Henry steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So it looks like smug Ted has hit retirement age, wonder where to for the bloke now?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-01/henry-stands-down-as-all-blacks-coach/3612368

Graham Henry has announced he is standing down as coach of the All Blacks, nine days after guiding New Zealand to a second World Cup triumph.

"I've had enough, it has been a privilege to be involved in the All Blacks," he said.

"I'm very proud of what they've done over the last eight years."

The 65-year-old guided the All Blacks to winning all their World Cup matches in 2011, ultimately edging France 8-7 in the final in Auckland.

More follows.

Reuters

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Robbie's assistant coach? never going to happen but oh how I would laugh...

L

leftside

As much as I hate to say it, a wonderful coach. The tactics the All Blacks showed against the Wallabies in the semi were a testament to that...his results speak for themselves.

He's done everything possible as a coach, good on him....not going to miss his smug face though

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
He may be smug, Jnor, although I hadn't noticed, but he has handled his departure with style. He didn't let his personal situation become a distraction to his team's preparation, performance or victory celebrations. Now that the dust has settled he fades into the background.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Every bit the legend of NZ rugby. 88 wins from 103 games in charge. Defended the bled every year, clean sweep lions, 3 x grand slams, never losing to the home nations in 3 years, a few 3N and a WC to boot.

And it appears that despite his unwillingness to moan about ref's, his attitude of always congratulating oppositions players and coaches in defeat, his willingness to front the media honestly in adversity, celebration & confrontation, you guys have decided to bestow a not-very-nice nickname on him.

In my eyes, that makes him god damn near perfect.

Will miss you, Ted. Big shoes to fill.

EDIT: Forgot that he constantly made the god-damn-awful NZ media eat their words at every opportunity. That in itself makes him a legend in my eyes

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I should probably add that I think he's done a great job, especially over the last few years and now that he's achieved what he set out to he has every right to sit back and do whatever the hell he likes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him working somewhere in rugby for quite some time, though.

I wasn't aware he had a personal situation that was likely to distract anyone, either. Or are you talking more about his position and the distractions that we've seen from others like Lievremont and to a lesser extent, Dingo?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Why smug? Because he calls a spade a shovel? Because he't not blokey, matey, arse kissing to the media?

This bloke is class. A+ in my book.

And if you coach the best team in the world you can have a bit of a fuck you attitude. Most people would be a lot worse than Henry.

Jake White was smug. This guy ain't. He is a grumpy schoolmaster. Fucken legend. What coach has done more?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think he improved a lot after the 07 world cup. Him and Hansen were surly and inaccessible, and I think the entire team was smug (particularly, McAlister's "we have all the best players in the world" comment was pretty unimpressive).

But I think the greatest testament to the guy is that he was so capable of introspection and adjustment. He realised that managing the public was part of managing a team, and he combined the technical excellence of his coaching staff with a commitment to fostering a proper team environment (like, by picking a first XV). A lot of guys would have just stuck to their guns in that spot, but he had the brains to take stock.

Great coach, great innovator, and seemingly a good bloke. Things might get harder without him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Amazing what 4 years can do, compare some of the Kiwi thoughts here to things said 4 years ago.. pitch forks and everything

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Randomly off-topic: who do you think you guys have lined up to replace him?

There have been a couple of discussions about it but to summarise, everyone supposedly in the running have stated they don't want the job. The problem is most of them have a good job, why take the poisoned chalice?

Heyneke Meyer: "Fuck you, you screwed me over last time for a clown". He has started rebuilding Bulls rubgy, and the last time he wanted the job because he would have taken in his bulls leadership group., They have all retired or left.
Rassie Erasmus - said he doesn't want it - wants to win something with the WP / Stormers first
Alistair Coetzee - Ditto - just signed as Stormers coach until 2013
Mallet - too much bad bllod
White - no way - he and Hoskins can't even be in the same building
Brendan Venter - too much of a fruitcake and he has also said he doenlt want it but in his case I think he's just being full of shit

I think they will convince Alistair Coetzee which I think am 50/50 about. He has not convinced me at all. Stormers with all their talent have played below their potential.

Also don't think it will be a foreigner.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Graham Henry will be director of rugby for England, John Mitchell will be boks coach.

I think they could do a lot worse than pick John Mitchell as coach, but I would be very surprised if they allowed a foreigner to coach the Boks. With the lack of interest (supposedly) from the top South African coaches it wouldn't be a bad move to go with someone like Mitchell who has had some success with a South African team. Making logical decisions is unfortunately not a characteristic of SARU's though.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cardiff Blues have denied that Henry would be offered their head coach role. While Henry himself has expressed his interest in a role with the RFU.

New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry says he would be interested in working with the Rugby Football Union.

Henry, 65, whose contract ran to the end of the World Cup, is expected to leave his role with the All Blacks.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "Yes, I would talk to the RFU, sure.

"I would love to work in coach development, player development, environmental development, cultural development of a group of people."

He added: "I couldn't just not do anything. I would love to help other people.

Henry has ruled ruled himself out the running should Johnson be replaced and gave support to the England boss saying: "Replacing a coach because of a result or because of public pressure or media pressure is not the right thing to do."

Looks like he knows what he wants to do so the ball is in the RFUs court to offer him the job. But they probably wont do anything until after their review of the WC is complete.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think they could do a lot worse than pick John Mitchell as coach, but I would be very surprised if they allowed a foreigner to coach the Boks. With the lack of interest (supposedly) from the top South African coaches it wouldn't be a bad move to go with someone like Mitchell who has had some success with a South African team. Making logical decisions is unfortunately not a characteristic of SARU's though.

Mitch has been a great leader for a rudderless bunch of twenty year olds who know see him as a god.

That doesn't mean he can navigate the political minefield of SARU and on top of that deal with the older players' egos.

Two world's apart. He has been given carte blanche at the Lions because he was last resort for them.

I think he could do the job technically but I think he would fail for a host of reasons outside of his control.

Anyway as long as Hoskins runs SARU we are very unlikely to see a foreign coach.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
So it looks like smug Ted has hit retirement age, wonder where to for the bloke now?

Have to say I'd disagree with the smug bit. On the other hand, if you were talking about Hansen, I think he's made a bit of a fool of himself a few times in front of the cameras. Seems a bit precious.

Not that we have anything to shout about with Deans, it's just that no one can actually understand what he is mumbling about!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like Graham Henry. The world could do with more no nonsense people like him. If only our coach could speak in such an easy to understand lingo.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
If only our coach could speak in such an easy to understand lingo...

That could start a new meme, finish the sentence.

...our players would know the game plan!

...we'd know when the rebuilding would be complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.