• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GRASSROOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The term Grassroots keeps coming up in most threads, so much so that it probably deserves its own thread. (Sorry is such a thread already exists)

So post here all the good things that are happening at Grassroots level.

Post any any suggestions of what more can be done to fertilize and promote Grassroots rugby.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Phil Waugh appointed as Inaugural Sydney Junior Rugby Union Ambassador

Rugby great Phil Waugh has been appointed as the inaugural Ambassador of Sydney Junior Rugby Union, Australia’s largest union and the governing body for Junior Club Rugby across Sydney. In this newly created role, Phil will bring his strong commitment to Junior Club Rugby and deep sporting community connections to help Sydney Juniors grow the game of rugby union from the grassroots.
Phil achieved the highest levels of professional Rugby with a stellar career capped off leading both the NSW Waratahs and the Australian Wallabies as Captain. He played 124 matches in Super Rugby for the NSW Waratahs, and in 79 Test matches for the Wallabies usually playing at openside flanker. Phil is currently head coach of the touring Mosman Junior Rugby Club U12s and continues to be involved at all levels of the game.
Ultimately, the success of elite Rugby is underpinned by a thriving grassroots junior rugby community and Phil will play a key role in fostering the growth and development of a vibrant junior club culture in Sydney.
“Rugby Union is a sport I have played and enjoyed since my junior years at Narrabeen, my school years at Shore and through the pathway to the Waratahs and then the Wallabies. Since retiring in 2012, I still have a strong passion for the game and for the future of the sport, beginning at the very grassroots. We have a continued strong junior base with 12,500 juniors registered with the SJRU alone, across the 60 clubs, and despite what may be perceived, junior club rugby in Sydney remains strong. Where I can, I will support the growth of the game, from the important grassroots players to enhance a thriving competition and future for rugby in this state and in this country”.
“Sydney Juniors is focused on growing the game of rugby from the grassroots,” said Katrina Oxenham, newly elected Chair of the Sydney Junior Rugby Union. “We are honoured that Phil has agreed to be the inaugural Sydney Juniors Ambassador. Like so many of the rugby union greats, Phil has continued to contribute behind the scenes in the Junior Rugby community. By accepting this new role, Phil will use his considerable leadership skills to strengthen the connection from the grassroots through to the elite levels of Rugby Union by highlighting the strength and value of our strong junior player base”

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cut & Paste from Uni Newsletter

uniors Rugby​

Naz6r55G0oNXykzl79vo9S3LRXEbe3xf2RSh9oXK2WzbtudoezeVxwGnSoUOwPbq4fQDhATeni49WYaZJCpXcfpwFmMOcrpRRP2ROMbwqbVG-KxUy_yHQHo=s0-d-e1-ft

Chris Talakai with the U13's Petersham Shammies
Chris Talakai has been appointed as the new SUFC Junior Development Officer and is proving quite the success with our junior clubs. Chris has spent the last few weeks assisting with coaching at Canterbury, Petersham and Balmain across a number of age groups. Chris has been working with the kids on their ball handling skills and tactics, ruck and tackle techniques and even brainstorming words of wisdom.
Thank you to our players in rehab, who join Chris and help develop the next generation of super stars!
Rugby great Phil Waugh has been appointed as the inaugural Ambassador of Sydney Junior Rugby Union, Australia’s largest union and the governing body for Junior Club Rugby across Sydney. In this newly created role, Phil will bring his strong commitment to Junior Club Rugby and deep sporting community connections to help Sydney Juniors grow the game of rugby union from the grassroots. Continue reading >

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
In Brisbane junior rugby I am glad to see more girls playing. This morning at Easts I saw a number of girls playing, not only from Easts but other clubs too and seeing these girls encourages others.

There is plenty of enthusiasm in junior rugby and some very good skills as well which is great to see. Interestingly, I have found that many of these kids don't actually watch rugby because they don't have Foxtel, but they still play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.