• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hatching Eggs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I am not having a go at anyone here, but after watching some Rugby over the weekend a couple of things became apparent to the as expert as one can be never having played Rugby at a Super Rugby level...

• For all the ambiguity, layered complexity and plethora of laws, Rugby can be a simple game...And the best thing about simplicty is that the essence of things can be distilled into a few things...
  • One of those things is effective Rugby is playing with speed. And in Rugby speed generally means quick ball.
  • Quick ball means that if the ball is there to be played at the back of a ruck, scrum or maul it should be used quickly.
  • Using the ball, and by keeping the ball in hand you have the initiative...you determine how the game is played.
  • Letting the ball sit there whilst directing players and waiting allows the opposition to take the initiative...set the defence...or counter-ruck ..or your own side will give away a penalty. And it goes without saying that a you rarely score points standing over the ball at the back of a ruck.
I saw the Wallabies? AB's game and the Sydney Uni/ Manly game. Different games. Different circumstances, but the difference between the way Genia deleivered the ball and the Uni halfback delivered the ball could not be more stark. Quick ball is effective ball...it is that simple.

(Again I am not having a go...but why are some Australian half backs so slow in releasing the ball. Of course the opposition is different as are the circumstances, but why do the wallbies like hatching eggs?)

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I believe meerkating is the correct terminology. That said, why oh why do I constantly see flat footed forwards and backs waiting for the ball? Get a run up you morons! It's called momentum, it makes you harder to stop and more likely to get over the advantage line. The only wallabies I see doing it consistently are digby and mccabe and surprise surprise they are the most effective at getting over the gain line.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I have an issue with the ball at the back of the breakdown it all starts with the breakdown. The Wallabies, and all Australian teams for that matter, have major issues with the breakdown. There is too much of a focus on stopping over the ball with the thinking that this will protect the ball. If we could just get players to drive past the ball and remove any threat then we have no option other than to play with quick ball. If you don't then the opposition has the opportunity to steal it. What this change in tactic will also do is open up opportunity for quick pick and goes as the pathway for the ball carrier can be cleared by the player who has cleaned out effectively at the breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.