• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Im sure there has been a thread on this at some point in the past but after the junior league test involving aus v nz the other day I thought it would be worth a revisit (also note ex aussie union boy taane milne was front and centre for the kiwis in the haka)

My view on the matter is that the haka is great culturally for the kiwis and awesome to witness as a non-kiwi, however I don't like this pc crap of having to stand there and take it otherwise you are seen as disrespectful, a team should be able to stand and watch, advance and get up in their face or even ignore it and chuck a ball around amongst themselves if they so please.

Lets all face it, the haka is a call to arms, a war dance, it is aggressive and intimidating yet for them to have the hide to have a go at a team for advancing on them or crossing over half way while they are performing it is nothing short of ridiculous. Many kiwis claim it is culturally insensitive to do anything accept stand and listen to the haka however kiwis forget that the haka is their culture nt anybody elses, in my culture yelling and making throat slitting gestures towards people is culturally insensitive.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Im sure there has been a thread on this at some point in the past but after the junior league test involving aus v nz the other day I thought it would be worth a revisit (also note ex aussie union boy taane milne was front and centre for the kiwis in the haka)

My view on the matter is that the haka is great culturally for the kiwis and awesome to witness as a non-kiwi, however I don't like this pc crap of having to stand there and take it otherwise you are seen as disrespectful, a team should be able to stand and watch, advance and get up in their face or even ignore it and chuck a ball around amongst themselves if they so please.

Lets all face it, the haka is a call to arms, a war dance, it is aggressive and intimidating yet for them to have the hide to have a go at a team for advancing on them or crossing over half way while they are performing it is nothing short of ridiculous. Many kiwis claim it is culturally insensitive to do anything accept stand and listen to the haka however kiwis forget that the haka is their culture nt anybody elses, in my culture yelling and making throat slitting gestures towards people is culturally insensitive.

Pretty sure the "gotta change out of the tracksuit pants now" thing was McKenzie's way of responding to the haka. They do their dance and get all g'd up and then the Wallabies take their time taking their pants off. Do the Wallabies go out onto the pitch with trackies on for any other team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Still love the welsh response from a few years ago. Just stood there for about 3 minutes after it, just staring at the ABs. IMO not disrespectful, but not intimated.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Still love the welsh response from a few years ago. Just stood there for about 3 minutes after it, just staring at the ABs. IMO not disrespectful, but not intimated.

then beaten ;).

I don't think they care what you do. If the Wobs want to change out of their trackpants, no probs, the ABs go into a huddle and have a chat. Do what you gotta do in reply.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
its not the reply im too worried about, its more of what the kiwis expect from their opponents during the actual haka

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
But even then portions of the kiwi media and general public had a crack at the welsh. In particular Nonu, "If I was facing the Haka I'd respect it. The Haka is the Haka, after that it's game time.". So apparently its also part of maori tradition for the game to commence immediately after and any sort of reply or delay is a insult..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/maa-nonu-warns-wales-respect-429635

Frankly I think the media / public had a crack because they had never seen a response like that before. I think everyone has the right to respond to that in any way they choose, provided its respectful. I'd also like to see where it's 'disrespectful' to not immediately start play after the haka.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I have a bit of a theory - and I don't suppose I'm the only one - that the performance of the haka is a good indicator of how the All-Blacks will start the game. If it lacks intensity, you might get your foot in the door early. If not, then you'd better batten down the hatches.

On Saturday, I don't think the performance was very intense and they seemed a bit off their game.

If you could show that to be the case, responding to the haka when it's like Saturday might be counter-productive.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Are you suggesting that the haka and the response have an effect on the outcome of the game?

Impossible to quantify, possibly yes, possibly no.

I was merely making a point that in the particular Welsh game quoted above, they were beaten. Draw from that what you will.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Impossible to quantify, possibly yes, possibly no.

I was merely making a point that in the particular Welsh game quoted above, they were beaten. Draw from that what you will.

I bring it up because whenever anyone says the All-Blacks being allowed to perform the haka is an unfair liberty, an argument comes from the NZ media that there is no advantage.

Irrespective of Haka response, most teams lose, anyway

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Back to the initial question, the Gold Brigade group started singing Waltzing Matilda after the Haka at the Sydney Test this year. The Poms sing, as well. I think that's a fair idea. It just needs to be sung by everyone and probably should be a more relevant tune.

Perhaps a rewrite of the other national anthem - Khe Sanh.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Back to the initial question, the Gold Brigade group started singing Waltzing Matilda after the Haka at the Sydney Test this year. The Poms sing, as well. I think that's a fair idea. It just needs to be sung by everyone and probably should be a more relevant tune.

Perhaps a rewrite of the other national anthem - Khe Sanh.

Personally I like it when you sing. USA fans did the USA USA chant during the Maoris game if I remember correctly. Welsh singing-magnificent!
The only ones I detest singing are those Poms with that godforesaken rendition of swing low sweet chariot. Mind you they could sing pokarekareana and I would detest them for that too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.