• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hundred pushup challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Just started, I managed 25 in my benchmark test and my chest almost cramped afterwards!
The app reckons I start at week 3 so will see how that goes, basically on track for 100 by christmas!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've done it a few years ago. I only managed about 70 on the final day. Was going to keep going but I am very lazy.

Sent using Tapatalk

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Just realised it's only 3 days a week, so have also signed up for the 200 squat challenge as well!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I do crossfit occasionally and had to do 100 pushups as part of the workout of the day about a month ago. Managed it in sets of 10 with about 20 sec break between each set. My chest was in agony for the next few days.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Good luck! Hats off for dedication. My old rowing coach used to make us do a set of 100 squats (jumping squats for the last 20) before every session. That was bad enough. I imagine 200 is going to hurt like hell.

If you want to mix it up a bit, a good one to do before, after or half way through a run is the following:

15 push ups, 15 squats.
14 push ups, 14 squats.

And so on until you get down to one. No rest. Your rest is through resting your legs during doing push ups, and vice-versa. The squats aren't too bad, but I find the push ups to be a killer.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
That's sounds really great bryce. I would just tweak it a little:

9am - go to the beach
10am - do nothing
4pm - get rapidly hammered
6pm - beach again
7pm - gin and tonics
9pm - bother wife
REPEAT

There's plenty there for the upper and lower body. The morning session I like to do about half a dozen reps of catching a wave in, while the afternon session is more about recovery. The abs and legs get a good workout in the evening session.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sounds like fun Bryce,
Last time I went for a run with a mate we did 15 squats straight into a 40m sprint. Walk back and repeat 5 times. That hurt!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've done the program in the past to about the 4 week mark (got ill and didn't get back into it). It's actually quite effective. I was making progress each session.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
First night last night, and reckon I'll drop back to week 2 (it benchmarked me to start at week 3).

Just didn't have the strength to keep good form for 13, 17, 13, 13, 17.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was thinking you had to be pretty good to start at week three. I think I would have started at week 1 no matter what. But I'm old and fat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sounds good, has anyone tried the 100 push ups in 4 min challenge? Kind of similar but you can structure it to give yourself mini breaks.

I got to 98 at 4 min, but it took me soooo long to do about 15 in over the last minute and has absolutley nothing left for the last two reps

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
First night last night, and reckon I'll drop back to week 2 (it benchmarked me to start at week 3).

Just didn't have the strength to keep good form for 13, 17, 13, 13, 17.

I started at week one but at the highest level possible. What until you starting hitting the 40+ reps per set. Good fun. Afterwards, if you are interested there is the 200 push up complex. Basically the idea is to do 200 push ups a day. You don't have to do them all at once. You can spread them out throughout the day in sets of 10-20. You will feel it but in terms of building up your chest, arms and shoulders it's very effective.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well I started. Don't really know why but I did. I was using the Runtastic app on my phone but it wants me to do push ups every day! What I did like was that you had to touch your nose to the screen to count the push ups. Looking for another android app now.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Just passes week 2 day 2 (12, 13, 9, 9, 13) - not too sore today so pretty happy with that

Status
Not open for further replies.