• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Reds Sat 23rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well this a game as a Canes man I have a bit of nervousness. I not sure Cane's forwards will handle Red's pack. And the who;le team needs a huge improvement on game against the Clan to even go close,
Waiting with interest to see Cane's line up.

Reactions: TSR

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think it's possible to only score 4 points, but it's probably a fair reflection of the likely points difference.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can’t deny I’m very nervous about this week. Not just for the Reds, but for all the Aussie teams. I’d really like to see Salakai-Loto & Uru back this week plus Campbell, especially if Petaia is out.

Ii think that the faster pace will suit McReight & Wilson and our locks have been the unsung hero’s of our 7 - 1 season. They’ve picked up the dog work which ASY (Angus Scott-Young) did so well last year. My concern is that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) was near flawless in his tackling in Super AU last year and then his missed tackle rate blew out in the TT portion. We really need Smith & Blyth to take another step up. I’d love to see a bit more from our front row as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it's possible to only score 4 points, but it's probably a fair reflection of the likely points difference.
Yep but easy to get 4 point difference in a game though TSR. Think with Aumua being gone will hurt Canes a bit, and I worry about scrums as I think Reds may get dominance there.

Reactions: TSR
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

As long as the Reds can park the "NZ team hoodoo" out of their minds then we will get a cracking good game.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
This is a much better start for the Reds than last year having to go to Dunedin a week after winning the Super Rugby Aus final.
Yes and no Mad Monday celebrations should also help.

Was more than a little surprised with the post Super AU celebrations last year given the TT part was yet to come.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
The next few weeks will benchmark where the Aussie team skill level is at. We know the kiwi teams are the benchmark so hopefully the boys have been busy on video.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the speed of the game/time in play is the bigger issue. From what I’ve seen of the Kiwi games they make as many errors, but they clear the ball quicker from rucks and the ball is in play for longer periods. Both these issues will have an impact on the player fatigue and organisation of defensive line. If our players can’t keep up, the Kiwis will be executing under less pressure and we’ll be executing under more.

Not saying the skill errors won’t hurt - they absolutely will, but if we can adjust quickly to the increased load then I feel we’ll match up well.

I am still not sure if we are worse or better off getting the Canes early. Part of me thinks we may have been better off getting the Blues or Crusaders first, even if it meant dropping a game, to give the players a high intensity game to adjust and then have a crack at the Canes, Highlanders and Chiefs.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If the Reds discipline is shite, they'll have points scored on them (sounds like a no brainer) because unlike previous games this year where they've been able to hold on during periods with 14 men, it won't be so easy.

Per your point TSR, the kiwi's ruck speed and accuracy is very good. They'll be able to recycle possession and shift the ball to space against a retreating defensive line much better than our aussie brethren so far this year.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Telling stories in these stats. Particularly the yellow and red cards.

Discipline/cards aside, are they that telling? Divide the difference across 8 rounds and the difference per game isn't that stark, and the ones that are more blown out are pretty contextual to individual games. Reds have also had a lot of wet rounds this season. Not saying the Reds aren't coming in as underdogs though - (nervously) looking forward to this one.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Dan, what's the go with Dane Coles?

From last week

On Thursday afternoon, Coles posted on Instagram confirming that while his body has certainly taken a few blows in recent years, he fully intends to get back out on the park for the Hurricanes this season.

“Don’t usually do this, but this is the easiest way to give everyone an update without going through the media. I haven’t retired or signed with [NRL side the] Warriors yet,” Coles joked.

“My body has taken a bit of a hammering the last couple of years, and I’m doing everything I can to get back on the field and enjoy my last couple years of footy. Really miss playing for [the Hurricanes] but will be back soon.”

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, what's the go with Dane Coles?
I really see Coles as just playing out his last couple of years because he can. I don't think he will make WC next year, but am all for him trying to get as many games out of body that he can if he still enjoying it.
And he's also talked I think of trying to get in a season for the mighty Nua when he finishes with Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.